Seeing the movies for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing the movies for the first time...

How was it when you saw the movies for the first time? SG-1 had ended, you knew there wouldn't be an eleventh season with twenty more episodes. It was going to be two movies, and that's it... over. (I never believed there'd be a third movie.)

The Ark of Truth
    I was really excited that I would get to see SG-1 defeat the Ori once and for all. I knew I wasn't in for a big budget film on the scale of a Star Trek feature. Instead, I expected something akin to "Lost City," the feature-length seventh season finale. I was pretty impressed with the movie. A lot of the film's content was spoiled by browsing these GateWorld forums, but I didn't know the details of the film, so that was alright. Though some hate that the Replicators were brought back, I was thrilled. We hadn't seen them in two years, why not one more romp? I could see the IOA pulling a black operation and inflicting the Ori galaxy with the replicators. The movie's big flaw is at the end when Teal'c shot the table the ark was sitting on. The table fell down, the ark hit the floor, and the lid flipped open. The truth light shined the Doci in the face. Wait a second... Adria's an ascended being with super powers, and she recently inherited all the power of the Ori combined. Why didn't she just use her telekinetic power to catch the ark before it fell to the floor? She just watched and said, "Oh's no's!" Yeah... Anyway, given that's the only real flaw, I'll let it slide. If I hadn't been spoiled on the fact there'd be a second movie, I'd have thought Teal'c was dead for good when he fell down with Celestus in sight. Great, great film.

Continuum
    Ah, the end of SG-1. This was hard to watch, because I knew I'd never see the whole team together again. I was a little disappointed that our O'Neill, Teal'c, and Vala bookend the film. Judge and Black spend most of the movie as their alternate timeline counterparts. At least we got to see O'Neill in the alternate timeline, that was more than I expected. Interestingly, I read that O'Neill was originally suppose to appear in the alternate timeline alone. It was RDA's idea to be included at Ba'al's execution. We got to see the real deal O'Neill one last time, so thanks be to RDA for suggesting that. Did ya'll notice that Ba'al died not one, not two, not three, but four times? His clone died via gunfire, Ba'al died by his own sword, then he died via gunshot to the head, and finally... his clone was extracted and left to die on the cold stone floor. Did we ever see any villain die so horribly in any one episode of the series? Yeesh! Anyway, my favorite part of the movie was the big showdown between SG-1 and the alternate Teal'c at the Russian stargate base. That was just a brilliantly filmed scene, the lighting, the set, the acting... brilliant.

When I rented Continuum, I hesitated to watch. I had this new adventure in my hands, but once the end credits rolled... it was over.

I think the scene with the Ark falling happened in slow motion rather than real time. Had it happened in real time, it would have gone by in about a second, and Adria probably just wasn't that fast. She was so shocked at what was happening that perhaps it took her that second to react, and she was too late. That's just my impression of that scene.

I think my biggest problem with the movie was when Teal'c got up from being shot by an Ori staff blast, and then walked off that mountain and across a snow capped other mountain, down the mountain and across the mudflats and then fell on his face. I know Teal'c is a strong guy, but he no longer has a symbiote and I'm sure tretonin didn't give him the strength to make that hike (who knows how many miles long in just a few hours - or so it seemed) until he fell on his face, only to be healed by a mysterious hand which turned out to belong to Morgan LeFay.

And the other bit that bugged me was Mitchell's fight with RepliMerrick. One punch from RM should have knocked Mitchell out cold, yet he picks himself up repeatedly and keeps fighting back. The next punch should have killed him, given the strength of one of those guys, but they keep fighting for several minutes and all Mitchell walks away from it with is a bunch of bruised (maybe fractured) ribs, numerous bruises and bumps and lumps on his face, and so on.

Otherwise, I liked the movie. I especially liked Tomin's part in the movie.

In "Continuum", I think my favorite part of that movie was the flight in the AF jets to Russia, and the part where Daniel tells the Russian fights that they are Americans, and to please shoot the guys chasing them.

Comment

Working...
    X