Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC America's "Sci-Friday" (sci-fi on American cable is alive on BBC America)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC America's "Sci-Friday" (sci-fi on American cable is alive on BBC America)

So now BBC America is going to start a sci-fi block on Friday's. Right now it looks like it will just be ST:TNG repeats and an older sci-fi movie. Still though, surely someone at the sci-fi channel has to see that and think "wait...?" I doubt BBC America would ever move something like Doctor Who to that night (I think that would mean either being a week behind the British showing or slightly ahead); but one decent "new" sci-fi show on that night could almost replace the old school Sci-Fi Friday night.

The BBC seems to run BBC America half-way was an American showplace for BBC shows and half-way as an independent cable channel. If they were to pick up just one new, and independent sci-fi show to place in that time slot then they could really give See-Fee a run for their money. Just imagine them running a new sci-fi show, a sci-fi repeat, and a sci-fi movie on Friday nights, before then turning around and airing their "Supernatural Saturday" block the very next night. There is a chance BBC America could become "the" place for sci-fi on American cable... and unlike See-Fee they seem to want that designation instead of attempting to eschew it.

I mean they have already picked up the rights to air BSG repeats. They show the X-Files and ST:TNG almost every day of the week. They air the British sci-fi and fantasy shows. It wouldn't surprise me if they were working out deals for Stargate or Farscape or some other big name show now in syndication.

Really all they need to get this new Sci-Friday set off the ground is a show that airs new episodes on Friday. It could be a British show that they air new episodes on Friday, it could be a new American show that they pick up to produce and air on Fridays.

Seriously though, BBC America is becoming one of my main go-to stations these days. I watch non-sci-fi stuff like Top Gear, but realistically I watch more sci-fi on BBC America than non-sci-fi... and I think I watch more sci-fi stuff on BBC America than any other channel I have.

To all Brits; this is why we pay our license fees...............to make sure we take over the world through good tv.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I flippin love BBC America, in recent years that have really started showing ALOT of sci-fi. In a way BBCA has more Sci-fi than.....Syfy. TNG, The X-Files, BSG, Doctor Who, Being Human, Primeval, Torchwood(although they don't air it that much anymore), and I'm sure more is on the way! They show alot of sci-fi movies too. One time they were doing Superman.

Comment

So what it takes is a channel devoted to British TV to get us American science fiction I find this hilarious
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I do love the irony..and the fact that I get BBC America

I love primeval and being human and dr who and all the other shows...they have it set up so that there's a new show almost every saturday. Good on them doing it on Friday too. Now that sanctuary is off fridays there's literally nothing to watch, so i'll now have BBCA as a turn to channel
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

At least one channel seems to be looking out for us.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              So what it takes is a channel devoted to British TV to get us American science fiction I find this hilarious
              I know, its crazy. I mean seriously, SyFy is trying to be more "mainstream" but BBC America seems to have no problem playing repeats of American sci-fi shows. It is completely backwards.

It is like Smart putting out the worlds most successful full-size sedan and Bentley putting out the worlds most successful sub-mini compact. It just doesn't make any sense!

Comment

just think what you'd have if you hadn't been treasonous colonists
                sigpic
                EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                -Liberty Prime

Comment

I wish I had this channel. I miss Doctor Who, SyFy totally messed this up. They showed it and dropped it without a care. I have no idea if they have any plans to show it again. I know we were supposed to be behind the UK's original airing but I don't think there's any plans to show the movies and get us up to speed, terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by comegatewithme View Post
                    I wish I had this channel. I miss Doctor Who, SyFy totally messed this up. They showed it and dropped it without a care. I have no idea if they have any plans to show it again. I know we were supposed to be behind the UK's original airing but I don't think there's any plans to show the movies and get us up to speed, terrible.
                    I doubt SyFy has any desire to pick up Doctor Who again, it would be going in the opposite direction of their current "mainstream" trend.

Plus, it would be at least one full season behind the BBC America showing, and by that point the most hardcore American fans who would make it must see viewing on SyFy would have already seen it.

Comment

Working...
                    X