Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would an episode re-order have saved the franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would an episode re-order have saved the franchise?

So, I'm waiting for Netflix to put up the final episode of SGU and can't help but ponder the early demise of the series.

At least for my taste, Season 2 has been a far more enjoyable ride. I almost dumped it after Season 1 for reasons I and many other have stated, pace, melodrama, non-episodic nature, etc. but am glad I didn't as Season 2 had some redeeming value.

So here is my question... If they had simply re-ordered the episodes, pushing more of the action of season 2 into season 1 and spread the slower paced drama from season 1 into season 2, 3, 4 and 5... Would we be excited about an upcoming Season 3 right now instead of mourning the death of the SGU series?

Thoughts?

Those were my thoughts exactly. I was going to post a similar topic, but never got around to it. I think if they had spread out the heavy drama, and some of the so-called 'slow parts', it would have retained the audience viewership. Just my 2¢.

Good thread topic.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I have to say my preference would be for ongoing TV series such as SG1, Star trek etc to come to an end. Its too much of a punt for the networks and really frustrating for the viewer when a story is started and not allowed to continue due to the inevitable declining audience figures. In recent history the only show i consider that has been given a satisfying run is BSG, which clearly had a story to tell which was allowed to be completed. Lost also was given the chance but, well we all have our views on that one!

I would prefer mid length runs, say 6 - 10 episodes that complete there story within that series, maybe give them the potential for a sequal but ultimately the primary story of that season should be completed in that season.

The second reason i would prefer that format would be the potential to tell different stories. Hypothetically lets say SGU was limited to that kind of show 10 episodes. then the following year there might be a different SG story, theres so much to see in the cannon, SG: Hammond (for want of a better title) SG: Infiltrators (telling Telfords original infiltration into the LA etc. SG: west wing (some kind of galactic politics) etc

We wouldnt get as indepth story but at least we would get closure on them, and ultimately the net result would be a massively expanded well realised cannon. Thats my desire. I know other people prefer long drawn out epics though

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
        So, I'm waiting for Netflix to put up the final episode of SGU and can't help but ponder the early demise of the series.

At least for my taste, Season 2 has been a far more enjoyable ride. I almost dumped it after Season 1 for reasons I and many other have stated, pace, melodrama, non-episodic nature, etc. but am glad I didn't as Season 2 had some redeeming value.

So here is my question... If they had simply re-ordered the episodes, pushing more of the action of season 2 into season 1 and spread the slower paced drama from season 1 into season 2, 3, 4 and 5... Would we be excited about an upcoming Season 3 right now instead of mourning the death of the SGU series?

Thoughts?
        True it could have saved the series. It was the main point of concern for many fan, that the slow pace and melodrama would detriment the series to much. And it ultimately did.
        sigpic
        - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I swear we just had a re-order thread like 2 months ago...
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It would have been better to just leave out the stuff that wasn't needed.

Comment

I think alot of the character building scenes from the first season could have been used as flashbacks throughout the run of the show. Get to the action a bit quicker, but still use all that stuff as the show progressed.
              sigpic

Comment

What the hell is wrong with a serialized television show? It's an opportunity to tell longer stories. I, for one, hate episodic TV. It's a waste of the medium.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                  What the hell is wrong with a serialized television show? It's an opportunity to tell longer stories. I, for one, hate episodic TV. It's a waste of the medium.
                  If it's good tv it is fine. The reality is that show most be interesting enough that surfers will stop and come back next week. SGU had a larger loyal fanbase and all they had to do was hang on to it while they added new fans. They didn't hang on to old fan and didn't gain new ones. This has nothing to do with serialized or episodic tv.

Comment

Morrism,

The OP complains about the serial nature of SGU in his opening post. I'm simply curious about why the OP dislikes serialized television?
                    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

No it wouldn't have.

It is all speculation anyway. Doing this may have lead to other unforeseen issues. There are some other reasons for the drop in ratings, and I don't think this is one of them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                        It would have been better to just leave out the stuff that wasn't needed.
                        everything was needed
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          everything was needed
                          Pretty much this.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                            everything was needed
                            Plenty of material chased more people away than brought in. There was a lot missing early on that would have held viewers. The loss of women viewers is unacceptable for a third series of an established franchise. There certainly was enough filler in every episode to bring in some meaningful elements of the franchise. It was so bad early on that Syfy had to fabricate trailers to avoid giving the whole episode away by showing just 30 seconds.

I found a tshirt for you diehard season 1.0 fans.
                            http://www.zazzle.com/never_give_up_...15380989862570

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                              Morrism,

The OP complains about the serial nature of SGU in his opening post. I'm simply curious about why the OP dislikes serialized television?
                              You and I have already debated this topic. And I'd consider the horse long dead. Here were my posts on the topic (yours are sprinkled in there as well)...

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post11437836
                              I had this concern at the very begining of SGU. The change from an episodic to series plots is the biggest change in the franchise (character drama vs. action/adventure is the second). Only time will tell how successful it is I guess.

One of the reason's I kept tuning into SG1 was that each episode was a self contained adventure complete with it's own climax and resolution. An escape from reality with a pretty pink bow for me to enjoy at the end of a hard day's work. Sure there were over-arching seasonal plots, but for the most part, every episode had you feeling satisfied.

SGU just doesn't leave the same taste in your mouth. It's a different one. Not a bad one necessarily, but a different one. And I think we can all agree, that people have different taste, and some of us are likely to not enjoy SGU as much as SG1 or SGA.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post11441495
                              I believe that the later seasons of SG1 did an excellent job of providing episodic resolution and still maintaining the longer more epic plot lines you speak of. I don't' believe the two are mutually exclusive.

I understand your point of view and I agree in many aspects. For me, if I'd like to engage in real thinking I read a book. I sit in front of the TV to be entertained, not frustrated. Cliffhangers seem to be en vogue, but I find them thoroughly aggravating. Wrap it up for me. Start something new next episode, season, etc.

I'm curious to know how much different my opinion of SGU might look if I were watching the entire series over a long weekend as opposed to drawn out over 6 months or more. I'm the kind of guy that will sit down and read a 500 page novel in a couple days to the exclusion of all else, just because I can't stand things un-finished. SGU leaves me with the un-finished feeling.

To each his own right?
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post11228572
                              So... what you're saying is, if I just wait for the beginning of Season 2, I can alleviate my disdain for SGU non-episodic nature by just watching the Season 1 marathon.

Hmmm... I've waited 3 months for the second half of Season 1, what's another 6 months for the rest of it un-interrupted!
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post11601780
                              Try to sum up my thoughts on season 1 but the bottom line is I'm checking out on SGU until the series is canceled. Then I'll probably buy the box set and watch it all back to back. I hope for the Stargate Franchise's sake the show does well enough to stay afloat.

There were few parts I enjoyed.

There were many parts I abhorred.

Fans on the site here won't have to listen to my harsh criticism of the snore drama and lack of episodic nature anymore. Which is probably a plus for you. At the same time, I won't be contributing to DVR ratings either.

Cheers!
                              I did wait to watch Season 2 until all but gauntlet was available on Netflix. I watched them back to back and enjoyed it much more than Season 1. I had to wait a couple weeks for Gauntlet to show up.

I was merely posting an observation I made in those weeks, sorry I couldn't locate the other thread on the topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X