• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baelor (109)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    BAELOR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 109
    Catelyn Stark negotiates with a local lord to grant passage to the Northern army, as part of a plan to turn the tide of the war. Tyrion is called upon to lead the wild men of the Vale into battle for House Lannister, and Ned is summoned to confess his crimes against the Crown publicly. With her control over the Dothraki slipping away, Daenerys calls upon a witch to save Khal Drogo's life.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 08 October 2011, 03:50 PM.

I don't remember Ned telling Yoren where Arya was in the book, but I felt it was a great way for him to have a final connection to her in the story.

I also know a lot of folks will be fired up about how Tyrian gets his first battle scars in this telling. Seems like they are making Tyrian out to be more of a coward in the movie rather than the realist and strategist he was in the books.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed this episode. My wife was practically in tears at the end, she didn't see the king's justice coming at all.

Comment

Great episode. The exchange between Varys and Ned in the opening was really well done. I don't remember if that's exactly how it goes in the book, but either way I enjoyed it. Dany once again proving she can hold her own in a company of men. They are doing an excellent job developing her character.

There is a lot of foreshadowing in this episode, whether intentional or unintentional
      Spoiler:

- Varys telling Ned about how he only serves the kingdom.
      - The "there are no more dragons" exchange with Dany in the Dothraki camp.
      - Bronn telling Tyrion that he would "kill the man who did that to me".

I also liked that they chose to have this final scene take place in the 2nd last episode as opposed to the last episode. Avoids a potential cliffhanger first time viewers and leaves a full episode to look at the repercussions of what just took place.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
        I don't remember Ned telling Yoren where Arya was in the book, but I felt it was a great way for him to have a final connection to her in the story.

I also know a lot of folks will be fired up about how Tyrian gets his first battle scars in this telling. Seems like they are making Tyrian out to be more of a coward in the movie rather than the realist and strategist he was in the books.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed this episode. My wife was practically in tears at the end, she didn't see the king's justice coming at all.
        Having read the book I knew what was coming for Ned. Regardless, the ending was still incredibly moving. The cello solo at the end credits fit the dark mood perfectly.

Joffrey is a monster and I'm glad that there's dialogue showing us that even Cersei is beginning to see it, especially when she firmly tells him, "My son, this is madness," and yet Joffrey doesn't listen to her. It didn't matter that she's his mother and the Queen Regent. There was absolutely nothing anyone could do to prevent Ned's death. The utter hopelessness of the situation was palpable. Brilliant acting and cinematography.
        sigpic

Comment

~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            lol, still liking this series? He does too much 'shock value' stuff. Becomes cheap and real old after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
              lol, still liking this series? He does too much 'shock value' stuff. Becomes cheap and real old after a while.
              No idea how you got to that conclusion. It's not shock value, it's part of the story. It's part of the characters - that Ned got in that situation is his own fault, that Joffrey turned around and surprised everyone was a severe underestimation on Cersei's part, that Sansa didn't get what she figured out is a wake-up call, the death will affect everyone...

The sad faces are because, you know, I'm sad. Dude died. It was heartbreaking to see it happen, despite the fact I knew ahead of time. Oh yeah. Must be cheap then. In fact, I like the series more for this. It works.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Eh, you'll see what I mean later then.

Comment

Uh-huh. Gotcha. Characters should stay alive. Dying is cheap. Silly me.

Comment

haha, not what I meant, forget it. How much of it have you read?

Comment

Oh my. Who will be the series lead now?

Also, did anyone else notice the Wilhelm Scream this episode?

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      It didn't matter that she's his mother and the Queen Regent.
                      I'm not totally sure how titles work in-universe, so I may be completely wrong on this BUT.... Since Joffrey is King in full title and power, doesn't that make Cersei 'Queen Mother' or 'Dowager Queen'?
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Also, did anyone else notice the Wilhelm Scream this episode?

I'm not totally sure how titles work in-universe, so I may be completely wrong on this BUT.... Since Joffrey is King in full title and power, doesn't that make Cersei 'Queen Mother' or 'Dowager Queen'?
                        Indeed i did. I listen out for those.

I was hoping Arya would run up and stab Joffery. That would've made my life. Wishful thinking.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ya'll now know why I was so serious about spoiler tabs for this series.

JMOZ,

No, I agree with Matt. Death is not cheap it happens and in this story no one is "safe" there are no "Character Shields". It makes their lives more real and more pogient. As such their actions have more impact and mean more because they can very well lead to their deaths. It's not "shock value" to give consequenses, serious ones, to people choices even if they are in a story we enjoy.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Do you really want to know?

Why is it shock value when a story shows that the good and honourable don't always come out on top?

I find it realistic if anything. The story may be a fantasy, but the message is universal.
                            sigpic

Comment

In the book Joffrey was only 10, and couldn't assume all of the duties and responsibilities as King until he was 13. For whatever reason they decided to keep her title the same as the book, as this has a major role to play in the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X