The Pointy End (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post

Anyway, I've got one question, now that the Starks are in open conflict with the Lannisters, why don't they ask help from the Greyjoys? It felt to me that the Greyjoys were very antagonistic to the Lannisters and the only reason for them not to attack them was the Theon problem. It doesn't make sense any more for Theon to be the "guest-hostage".
    Assuming they continue at a book per season, then the Greyjoys and their involvement in the war will be addressed in season 2. I won't spoil what's coming, but two points about their background should be considered. As men of the Iron Islands, that lie off the Western Coast of Westeros, they consider themselves separate, and have a separate culture to the rest of Westeros. This has manifested itself into attempts to split from the 7 Kingdoms. They don't like the Lannisters, but they don't like the Starks much either, seeing as the Starks helped Robert Baratheon put down a rebellion in the Iron Islands a few years before the current story is set. Theon Greyjoy being a Ward of the Starks is a direct result of this. As the last surviving son(the others were killed in the rebellion) of Balon Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, he is held not only a Ward, but also a hostage, to prevent the Greyjoy's from "misbehaving" again.

*EDIT*
    Also for anyone who hasn't seen it yet here's the a link to the latest inside the episode on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaNPV3c8xB8
    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 07 June 2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      For the love of everything, why do some people who've read the books keep asking if scenes were in the book or not? I mean, I've browsed the first book's contents table. That's about it. Each chapter is a character's POV. There are no POVs for Cersei or Robert, so why would their scene back in episode five be in the book? How could it be? There are no Littlefinger POV chapters, so why oh why would his scene with the lesbians last week be one? Jeez-us, it's either really bad memory/stupidity or just... I dunno. Not enough die-hard fan-ness about the book series that started it all. Like, I don't get it. Even if I skimmed this first book, I'd know the only POVs we get are Ned, Cat, Tyrion, Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya and Dany. That's it. They're right there at the top of the chapters.
      There is no need at all to be so grumpy about it. FCOL, it's a tv show, not the fate of the world. Not to mention it being just plain rude to get in peoples' faces.

If comparisons between the books and shows are such a topic, how about a thread be started, either one general one, or one for each episode, where those that want to can list and compare what did and what didn't make it into the show. It keeps the discussion out of the episode thread, yet allows for the discussion to happen to those that want it.

Instead of getting mad, how about looking for a solution to try and help as many fellow fans as possible.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This episode was so good I've already rewatced it three times.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Erm, firstly where is everybody? The most epic epsidoe yet needs more love.

But on a happy note, damn, that was good, probably one of the best, if not the best episode yet.
          This time I won't argue I love Sean Bean's performance and I wish Ned had more scenes this week, but all in all...DARN.GOOD.SHOW.

At least TPTB took pity on me and my poor nerves and didn't end on such a cliffhanger like last time!

I see there are some complaints about the wight's attack, so let me just tell you that speaking from a newbie's perspective, that scene was scary and creepy enough.

Regarding Ned, I do have a question for those who read the book:

Spoiler:
          Thanks to surfing Wikipedia I was accidentally spoilered and unfortunately I know that Ned will die (beheaded?). My question is, does it happen this season or the next one?

Please just answer the question, I really don't want to be spoilered further.
          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
            Regarding Ned, I do have a question for those who read the book:

Spoiler:
            Thanks to surfing Wikipedia I was accidentally spoilered and unfortunately I know that Ned will die (beheaded?). My question is, does it happen this season or the next one?

Please just answer the question, I really don't want to be spoilered further.
            Spoiler:
            This season.

That's too bad you got spoiled, now you gotta read the books
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
              Spoiler:
              This season.

That's too bad you got spoiled, now you gotta read the books
              That was quick! Thanks!!!

Spoiler:
              I suspected as much, but still, now I'm bummed. Hoped for a little more of Ned's awesomeness.

As to the books, it's more probable with each new episode, LOL. I don't read fantasy as a rule; LOTR has been the only exception so far. But I enjoy GOT so much that recently I've found myself seriously contemplating giving books a try...
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

That was quick! Thanks!!!

Spoiler:
                I suspected as much, but still, now I'm bummed. Hoped for a little more of Ned's awesomeness.

As to the books, it's more probable with each new episode, LOL. I don't read fantasy as a rule; LOTR has been the only exception so far. But I enjoy GOT so much that recently I've found myself seriously contemplating giving books a try...
                They are good. I guess it depends if you want to come to each season fresh or not. One solution would be to read each book the season corresponds to after it has aired. So Read A Game of Thrones after season 1, wait till season 2 airs then read A Clash of Kings etc. It's one book per season, so that way you read the books and hopefuly remain unspoiled. On the other hand you may not wish to wait that long....
                Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 09 June 2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  It's one book per season, so that way you read the books and hopefuly remain unspoiled. On the other hand you may not wish to wait that long....
                  Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm terribly weak-willed when it comes to the books/movies/tv I enjoy. Also, I tried that strategy with LOTR. Didn't work.

On a different note, if I understand correctly GoT is the title of just the first novel and not the entire saga. But I seriously doubt that HBO will change the series' title to suit the books, so will "GoT" still be the appropriate title for season 2 (and hopefully season 3, 4 etc)?
                  sigpic
                  awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

On a different note, if I understand correctly GoT is the title of just the first novel and not the entire saga. But I seriously doubt that HBO will change the series' title to suit the books, so will "GoT" still be the appropriate title for season 2 (and hopefully season 3, 4 etc)?
                    Yes it will still be appropriate. The "Game of Thrones," ie the struggle for power, is an ever present theme throughout the books. I'm still holding out that they might use the other book titles as subtitles, so you'd have Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings and Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords for example, but only cause it would sound cool . Overall though Game of Thrones is a perfectly suitable title of the whole series.

Comment

The title of the entire saga is A Song of Ice and Fire. So technically that should have been mentioned in the title somewhere. But since they chose to go with Game of Thrones, then they might keep it in the title of the second series as well. If they just change it to A Clash of Kings it will just confuse a lot of people who are not familiar with the books.
                      sigpic

Comment

Episode 8 was fantastic. I love how Dany took charge and wouldn't back down to anyone. Loved the interaction between her and Drogo. There was love and mutual respect. I also loved that he asked her for her side of the story and explained their ways instead of just brushing her aside or taking his men's side. I love them. They get better and better. They are truly an epic love story.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                          If they just change it to A Clash of Kings it will just confuse a lot of people who are not familiar with the books.
                          Nothing that a whole slew of advertisements on HBO (and spread through various websites) stating that CoK is a sequel to GoT can't fix.

I'm fine w/ them keeping the title as GoT, or changing it per season/book.
                          (GoT: CoK, GoT: SoS, and so on)

I am, kinda, hoping that the intro music changes per season, to reflect changes in theme/mood, perhaps.
                          I mean, keep it as is, but perhaps 'darker' or more 'grand' (sorry, it's hard to express...I guess I should've listened more in music class).
                          Something like: if a particular piece was being played by an instrument w/ a higher pitch/range (?) like a violin in this season, maybe have it played by a cello next season. Something like that...
                          sigpic

Comment

A moment of silence for Septa Mordane and Syrio Forel. Each character displayed impressive courage in what appeared to be her and his last scene.

There was a lot to note in this episode and I'll get around to it later, but I wanted to give an immediate shout out to Septa and Syrio. Septa's scene was what? I minute, maybe less? But in that short amount of time, she owned her scene. First, she quickly sized up the danger that Sansa was in, when she heard the fighting just beyond them, and set out to do her best to protect Sansa by telling her to go to her room, bar the door and be careful who she opened it to. And then after she sent Sansa off, Septa didn't flinch as she went to meet the Lannister guards with their swords covered with fresh House of Stark blood. Way to go, Septa.

And, Syrio was equally as impressive because, like Septa, he also quickly realized that his charge, Arya, was in danger and did his part (with a wooden practice sword, no less) to give her time to get away. Well done, Syrio.

I hope this isn't the last time I'll see these characters, but if it is, then I'm pleased that they went out well.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                              A moment of silence for Septa Mordane and Syrio Forel. Each character displayed impressive courage in what appeared to be her and his last scene.

There was a lot to note in this episode and I'll get around to it later, but I wanted to give an immediate shout out to Septa and Syrio. Septa's scene was what? I minute, maybe less? But in that short amount of time, she owned her scene. First, she quickly sized up the danger that Sansa was in, when she heard the fighting just beyond them, and set out to do her best to protect Sansa by telling her to go to her room, bar the door and be careful who she opened it to. And then after she sent Sansa off, Septa didn't flinch as she went to meet the Lannister guards with their swords covered with fresh House of Stark blood. Way to go, Septa.

And, Syrio was equally as impressive because, like Septa, he also quickly realized that his charge, Arya, was in danger and did his part (with a wooden practice sword, no less) to give her time to get away. Well done, Syrio.

I hope this isn't the last time I'll see these characters, but if it is, then I'm pleased that they went out well.
                              Septa Mordane is very, very dead, and if they follow the books closely enough, her head on a spike may make a guest appearance in episode 10. Syrio Forel, we don't know. That counts for book readers as well, it's one of the series great mysteries, did he die? There are some fan theroies, but only one man, George RR Martin, knows for sure.

Comment

Sadly, I figured that Septa was done because there was no way the Lannister guards were going to let any servants of the House of Stark live and she didn't have Syrio's fighting skills to give her a chance.

Interesting that Syrio's fate has been left up in the air. I understand that George RR Martin's next book is coming out soon and that it's been delayed by several years, so I wonder if he's had time to decide if he wants to share Syrio's fate now.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X