• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pointy End (108)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON ONE
    THE POINTY END
    EPISODE NUMBER - 108
    Robb Stark must rally his family's allies from the North, marching south to war after Ned is branded a traitor and imprisoned at King's Landing. Tyrion struggles to stay alive during his return journey, and Sansa pleads before the King for mercy for her father.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 08 October 2011, 01:21 PM.

"The First Sword of Bravos does not run."

Awesome, awesome episode. I'm going to write up another King's Landing Chronicle entry after my rewatch. Maybe.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Erm, firstly where is everybody? The most epic epsidoe yet needs more love.

But on a happy note, damn, that was good, probably one of the best, if not the best episode yet. The first half was faster paced than the second half, but it didn't stop both parts being awesome. The opening minutes were epic, as the fighting took place throughout the Red Keep, the last stand of Septa Mordane, the Hound coming for Sansa. Topped off by SYRIO FOREL! and his badass scene. "The First sword of Braavos does not run".

Across the Narrow Sea was also very good as well. Emilia Clarke has developed such a commanding presence, you believe her performance when she starts ordering people around. Jason Momoa was brilliant as well, really gruesome fight scene, loved it.

Tyrion and the hill tribes were funny as hell and Charles Dance continues to rock as Tywin. In general although the episode slowed in pace in the second half it was still excellent. The feeling was that the whole realm was slipping into war. Robb was great, as was Greatjon Umber. Great casting there. Bits with Bran, Rickon, Osha and Hodor were also excellent. I loved Ser Barristan's at the end as well. We've yet to even see him swing a sword and yet he is completely believable as the greatest Knight in the realm.

In fact my only criticism of the ep would be the stuff at the wall, specifically the Wight attack. It was good, but I felt it could have been scarier. Still overall the episode scores top marks from me. It also seemed to be a bit more epic. There was the brilliant shot of the ravens leaving Winterfell (that sent shivers down my spine), lots of shots of the army's camps (and the Keep next to Robb's) and that cool shot where the camera moved up and looked over the wall. There's probably plenty of other moments I've missed in my post here, the ep was jam packed full of great stuff. Anyway, come on next weeks ep, this is going to be a hell of a wait.
      Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 06 June 2011, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Gah. At times I kinda wish I haven't read the books yet (as some of the scenes lose their 'coolness').

Stuff I liked:
        - all those ravens leaving Winterfell to muster the North. That was just...awesome.
        (but also the scene that I referred to as losing it's 'coolness', since I know what happens later...still, it was awesome seeing that)
        - Tyrion & Bronn & Shagga & friends...and Shagga's demand at Tywin's tent
        - Barristan Selmy's bit in the throne room
        - Syrio Forel (I just wished the fight scene was smoother/faster...still, it was quite good)
        - the scene in the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch's room (I do agree w/ M6P: it could've been scarier/better)
        - Umber's fingers
        - Cersei's face in the early scene w/ Sansa (it was like: is she THAT stupid?!? I think Sansa's line was: "I won't hatch anything" )

WTF scene:
        - Hodor

Great episode...I just have one complaint (the usual one): It's TOO SHORT!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
          - Barristan Selmy's bit in the throne room
          "I could cut through the 5 of you like carving a cake!"

WTF scene:
          - Hodor
          That was hilarious in a random way. Hodor certainly seems ahem, large, in all areas.
          Great episode...I just have one complaint (the usual one): It's TOO SHORT!!!
          Indeed, need more.

Comment

One thing I noticed about this episode is that it covered a lot more from the book's timeline perspective than any of the others so far. Like Robb assembling the armies of the North all in one episode and already talking about battles with Jaime. And Tyrion recruiting the wild tribes and reaching his father's camp. It felt a bit rushed to me, but again, there's a lot of information to cover so can't really blame them.

I think they're doing a great job with Dany and how they are depicting her transformation.
            sigpic

Comment

I liked that the wolves were seen a bit in this episode. The direwolves and their bond with the Stark children were one of my favorite things in the books; particularly the bond between Jon and Ghost. Working with the dogs probably wasn't the easiest or most practicle thing, so not having them around so much is understandable (to me, anyway); though I really do enjoy the scenes with the direwolves.
              I'm glad they showed Ghost warning Jon about the wight attack. The attack itself wasn't so cool though; it could've been longer and scarier(like others have also mentioned). Sometimes I feel like the stuff going on at the wall(and the parts of the story that take place in the North) seems a bit rushed and clipped in order to give more time to whats going on in Kings Landing with Ned(not so much in this episode, but in the others). I do understand that they can't include everything from the books on the tv series. I probably feel that way though, because the events at the Wall and in the North happen to be my favorite parts of the books.
              I liked the scenes at Winterfell. Robb gathering the men to fight was good; his wolf attacking Umber was cool. Osha talking to Bran by the Weirwood tree was great. I lol'd at the Hodor part. I also enjoyed the scene between Rickon and Bran.
              Syrio was great, I loved that fight scene. I also really liked the fight scene with Drogo. Tyrion and Bronn's , and Tyrion and Tywin's scenes were good too. Overall, I really enjoyed the episode, and I can't wait until next week.
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm the HBO ness was down this week. Though there was a lot of fighting at the start many of the deaths were implied or were left uncertain about. And no lesbians.

Still there was a 12 year old getting stabbed in the gut, fingers being bitten off, Hodor's massive endowment and Drogo tearing out a guys tongue.

Like any good show, GOT doesn't need to rely on violence, sex or swearing to be awesome. Still when it does bring out the violence and the sex it knows how to use them (and to show you something you've never seen before, like Khal Drogo deciding that tearing a man's tongue out of his mouth was too mainstream, so he slashed the guys throat open and tore it out that way).

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  Hmm the HBO ness was down this week. Though there was a lot of fighting at the start many of the deaths were implied or were left uncertain about. And no lesbians.
                  Well that's just staying true to the book, no argument there. The Syrio scene especially was well done I thought.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hodor was way better than the lesbians lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                      The Syrio scene especially was well done I thought.
                      Yup.

re: the lesbians
                      was that even in the book?
                      (my copy still hasn't been returned, yet...)

re: the tongue thingy
                      yeah. that was pretty good. it's a pity Khal Drogo got wounded, tho'...

re: the kid at the stable who got stabbed
                      was he in the book? I don't remember... interesting scene, tho':
                      Spoiler:
                      Arya's first kill. I can't wait for her to start saying, 'Valar Morghulis'

re: Tyrion & co.
                      I really love the scenes w/ Tyrion in them. And, yeah, I noticed Tywin moving away the wine.
                      Great scene. I wonder if they'll show Tyrion in armour or something...
                      edit: Ooh. Yay, they will. (just saw the preview for the next ep.)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post

"The First Sword of Bravos does not run."

Awesome, awesome episode. I'm going to write up another King's Landing Chronicle entry after my rewatch. Maybe.
                        Kicking butt with a wooden sword!
                        Syrio

Arya stabbed that kid.
                        sigpic

Comment

For the love of everything, why do some people who've read the books keep asking if scenes were in the book or not? I mean, I've browsed the first book's contents table. That's about it. Each chapter is a character's POV. There are no POVs for Cersei or Robert, so why would their scene back in episode five be in the book? How could it be? There are no Littlefinger POV chapters, so why oh why would his scene with the lesbians last week be one? Jeez-us, it's either really bad memory/stupidity or just... I dunno. Not enough die-hard fan-ness about the book series that started it all. Like, I don't get it. Even if I skimmed this first book, I'd know the only POVs we get are Ned, Cat, Tyrion, Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya and Dany. That's it. They're right there at the top of the chapters.
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                            For the love of everything, why do some people who've read the books keep asking if scenes were in the book or not? I mean, I've browsed the first book's contents table. That's about it. Each chapter is a character's POV. There are no POVs for Cersei or Robert, so why would their scene back in episode five be in the book? How could it be? There are no Littlefinger POV chapters, so why oh why would his scene with the lesbians last week be one? Jeez-us, it's either really bad memory/stupidity or just... I dunno. Not enough die-hard fan-ness about the book series that started it all. Like, I don't get it. Even if I skimmed this first book, I'd know the only POVs we get are Ned, Cat, Tyrion, Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya and Dany. That's it. They're right there at the top of the chapters.
                            Calm down dear.

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            Well that's just staying true to the book, no argument there. The Syrio scene especially was well done I thought.
                            Agreed, good casting and the whole scene lived up to the hype.

Comment

Pfft. I am calm.

Comment

Working...
                              X