X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Extinction revealed

Well a little

From Joseph Mallozzi’s Blog

Finally – by now, I had hoped to hear back on the ultimate faith of Stargate: Extinction (Novel? Comic book? Radio play? Performance art piece?) but, alas, it’s been very quiet. I will say that when Paul and I set out to write the script for the proposed Stargate: Atlantis movie, we did so in the hopes that, ultimately, it wouldn’t be produced as a movie at all but as the first two episodes of SGA’s sixth season. Codenamed “Project Twilight”, it would have focused on the city of Atlantis, its personnel, and the journey back to home to the Pegasus Galaxy. Ideally, that would set the stage for the thrilling 18 episodes to follow – or, at the very least, the jumping off point for future SGA movies.

The movie would have picked up not long after the events of the season 5 finale, Enemy at the Gates. In the opening scene, two astronauts (who turn out to be a couple of familiar faces – Amelia Banks and Major Lorne) take a walk on the surface of the moon, their lunar stroll ending with a reveal of the city of Atlantis. A shuttle carrying Sam Carter and a group of dignitaries sweeps overhead and lands.

Within the city’s atmospherically shielded confines, Carter and her guests meet up with the science team headed by – who else? – Rodney McKay. Frustrated by the interruption to his ongoing research, McKay demonstrates a certain impatience with the whole dog-and-pony show, running through standards explanations, overviews, questions, and answers until – an alarm suddenly sounds. The bewildered dignitaries are ushered out, leaving McKay, Carter, and Zelenka to investigate.

An examination of the city’s systems reveal the worst. A self-destruct has been initiated – a safeguard, Rodney surmises, put in place by the Ancients in the event Atlantis was ever removed from the Pegasus Galaxy. And, once triggered, it cannot be disabled. Nothing short of a return to the Pegasus Galaxy will save the city from certain destruction.

Of course, getting it there is easier said than done…

Anyway, that was the basic premise: A seeming new beginning. A threat to the city. And a desperate bid to outrace a deadly countdown.

But who would join the journey? How would they get back to Pegasus? And what challenges would they face along the way?

More on that in the coming days.

That sounds like a terrible idea. Like, talk about the worst plot contrivance ever.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I can see it as a great episode or two. But not so much a series ending movie. Tho, I'm sure I'd still like it if/when it came out.
      Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
      ---
      sigpic

Comment

Doesn't sound too bad...
        sigpic

Comment

I think it has potiental for a nice DVD movie or a movie on SyFy or some other channel.

Not so much military so it looks like it won't be too Sheppard, Teyla or Ronan heavy which is a bit of a bummer.

Having a self-destruct is something totally plausible from the Ancients as they probably assume that the Wraith could be smart enough to eventually figure everything out if they had ever found Atlantis (before SGA ended up there). And if the Wraith did get the city, they could be motivated to move out of the Pegasus Galaxy looking for more feeding grounds.
          Last edited by Rosehawk; 25 May 2011, 07:42 PM.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

An examination of the city’s systems reveal the worst. A self-destruct has been initiated – a safeguard, Rodney surmises, put in place by the Ancients in the event Atlantis was ever removed from the Pegasus Galaxy. And, once triggered, it cannot be disabled. Nothing short of a return to the Pegasus Galaxy will save the city from certain destruction.

i just lost interest
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

seems to me that if atlantis was smart enough to know it wasn't in pegasus anymore that it'd be smart enough to know that earth was in viewing distance of the city and that that's where the ancients fled to...

either way, i'm sure i'd be thrilled to pieces watching it

Comment

So, did they burn out the wormhole drive getting back to earth and can't use it again to get back to Pegasus?

Comment

Sounds like a brilliant movie or 2 parter episode.

Comment

I would definitely watch it!
                    sigpic

Comment

When they were writing this, you'd think it would occur to them that Atlantis has been in the Milky Way long enough for the city to figure out it's moved. I love the idea of Atlantis hiding behind the moon (can't be on the moon, I'd expect anyone with a decent telescope to see it) but it's such a poor way to get the city back to Pegasus.

sigpic

Comment

any self destruct can be disabled. otherwise the ancients themselves wouldn't be able to use it in any way

Comment

I'm glad that they were planning to send Atlantis back to pegasus. leaving it on earth drives me crazy. It sounds interesting. I would watch it.
                          sigpic
                          God Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by randyored View Post
                            Well a little

From Joseph Mallozzi’s Blog

Spoiler:
                            Finally – by now, I had hoped to hear back on the ultimate faith of Stargate: Extinction (Novel? Comic book? Radio play? Performance art piece?) but, alas, it’s been very quiet. I will say that when Paul and I set out to write the script for the proposed Stargate: Atlantis movie, we did so in the hopes that, ultimately, it wouldn’t be produced as a movie at all but as the first two episodes of SGA’s sixth season. Codenamed “Project Twilight”, it would have focused on the city of Atlantis, its personnel, and the journey back to home to the Pegasus Galaxy. Ideally, that would set the stage for the thrilling 18 episodes to follow – or, at the very least, the jumping off point for future SGA movies.

The movie would have picked up not long after the events of the season 5 finale, Enemy at the Gates. In the opening scene, two astronauts (who turn out to be a couple of familiar faces – Amelia Banks and Major Lorne) take a walk on the surface of the moon, their lunar stroll ending with a reveal of the city of Atlantis. A shuttle carrying Sam Carter and a group of dignitaries sweeps overhead and lands.

Within the city’s atmospherically shielded confines, Carter and her guests meet up with the science team headed by – who else? – Rodney McKay. Frustrated by the interruption to his ongoing research, McKay demonstrates a certain impatience with the whole dog-and-pony show, running through standards explanations, overviews, questions, and answers until – an alarm suddenly sounds. The bewildered dignitaries are ushered out, leaving McKay, Carter, and Zelenka to investigate.

Anyway, that was the basic premise: A seeming new beginning. A threat to the city. And a desperate bid to outrace a deadly countdown.

But who would join the journey? How would they get back to Pegasus? And what challenges would they face along the way?

More on that in the coming days.
                            Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                            When they were writing this, you'd think it would occur to them that Atlantis has been in the Milky Way long enough for the city to figure out it's moved. I love the idea of Atlantis hiding behind the moon (can't be on the moon, I'd expect anyone with a decent telescope to see it) but it's such a poor way to get the city back to Pegasus.

Soo... would this be AFTER the reveal of the Stargate in the 3rd SG-1 movie? Cuz i find it hard to believe they would be able to move the city from the coast of Frisco without someone noticing SOME kind of action.. Even if they did a modified repeat from First Strike (leave the cloak up while firing the stardrives then switch to shield when needed) the engines effects on the water would be REALLY noticeable... Maybe it would have been explained.. who knows...

Comment

I suspect Revolution had a reset button. It meant to be set before SGU, and the Stargate was still secret in SGU.

Comment

Working...
                              X