Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who is your favourite game of thrones character so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themyst View Post
    Ned Stark is definitely my favorite character. He seems to be the most outwardly righteous. I have a feeling others will join him though.
    I've always liked most of the Starks, especially the way they're described in the books. But as far as antagonists go, I have to drop in a positive word about Tywin Lannister. Charles Dance keeps delivering on his scenes, whether he's talking, cutting up meat, or just eating and drinking. Tywin's austere demeanor is palpable every time he has a scene. Tywin is a formidable opponent. Don't get me wrong, I think he's almost as monstrous as Joffrey and I wouldn't be sorry to see him dead if he were a real person but as a character he's great.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      But as far as antagonists go, I have to drop in a positive word about Tywin Lannister. Charles Dance keeps delivering on his scenes, whether he's talking, cutting up meat, or just eating and drinking. Tywin's austere demeanor is palpable every time he has a scene. Tywin is a formidable opponent. Don't get me wrong, I think he's almost as monstrous as Joffrey and I wouldn't be sorry to see him dead if he were a real person but as a character he's great.
      Absolutely agree. Charles Dance is fabulous. And as far as his Tywin Lannister character, I have a feeling that I wouldn't want to be dragged before him for judgement even in my worst nightmares.

I think Tyrion is my favorite Lannister. I haven't read the books but I have a feeling that because of his unique perspective, somehow, he'll pull through and be someone's savior in the end.

Comment

Based on my extensive 1.5 episodes viewed, I'd say Tyrion. He's a very complicated character played by a very good actor.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Ned - so hopelessly moralistic and awesome.
          Jon - Strong willed and stands up for what he believes in.
          Daenerys - I wasn't sure about her at first, but the more the story goes along the more I think she's awesome.
          Drogo - Not at first, but later I did.
          Tyrion (in the series, not so much in the book. I'm not sure why. It doesn't make sense to me either...) - He tells it like he sees it, kinda blunt...
          Shae (not sure why on this one either) - She just keeps making me laugh, even when someone is explaining her from a distance.
          Arya - It took me a little while, but now I think she's awesome and so clever.
          Ser Jorah - at the moment I think he's awesome because he's loyal, but I've only just finished book two, so we'll see...
          Samwell - he's just so adorable...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I think it's difficult for anyone to say any character but Ned for a favorite, however there are a few that are also quite fun to root for.
            "Little Finger" probably comes closest. Ser Jorah is easy to root for he's just badass and awesome. Tyrion, while you understand he's above his family and with his mind he should be somewhere else, it's difficult to completely cheer for him because he is still a Lannister and wants to protect them. Still a pretty awesome character though. Bronn's "whatever, *sigh* here we go again" attitude makes him one of the greatest as well I think. Then the obvious ones like Arya and Snow are of course adored.

I can't stand Daenerys though, definitely my least liked character, even more so than Baelish or even Joffrey. I can't stand her whiny childish "I'm me so give me everything and do what I say" antics. Drives me nuts whenever she speaks on the show. Plus the bad fake blonde hair adds even a bit more to the disliking of that character. If she were in the show with her natural brunette hair color I might like her a little better!
            sigpic
            Originally posted by dacooker
            The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by themyst View Post
              Absolutely agree. Charles Dance is fabulous. And as far as his Tywin Lannister character, I have a feeling that I wouldn't want to be dragged before him for judgement even in my worst nightmares.

I think Tyrion is my favorite Lannister. I haven't read the books but I have a feeling that because of his unique perspective, somehow, he'll pull through and be someone's savior in the end.
              Almost a year later, Charles Dance keeps delivering brilliant performances as Tywin Lannister. His scenes with Arya have been magnificent in season 2. Tywin is very controlling, yes, but he's not a monster like Joffrey. Charles Dance managed to bring out certain nuances to the character that haven't come across as clearly in the books. He and Stannis Baratheon are both harsh in their ways but follow their own personal code. For example: Stannis would never send someone like Clegane to pillage and burn the Riverlands. But he would stoop to sorcery to claim Renly's armies. Tywin would just scoff at the whole sorcery angle altogether and use terror... but he treats Arya with a strange compassion.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                Almost a year later, Charles Dance keeps delivering brilliant performances as Tywin Lannister. His scenes with Arya have been magnificent in season 2. Tywin is very controlling, yes, but he's not a monster like Joffrey. Charles Dance managed to bring out certain nuances to the character that haven't come across as clearly in the books. He and Stannis Baratheon are both harsh in their ways but follow their own personal code. For example: Stannis would never send someone like Clegane to pillage and burn the Riverlands. But he would stoop to sorcery to claim Renly's armies. Tywin would just scoff at the whole sorcery angle altogether and use terror... but he treats Arya with a strange compassion.
                I agree about Tywin and I think it is great we get to see a lot more of him in the series. In the books you would here a lot about him from other characters' POV, so its nice to actually see him first hand.
                The difference with Tywin is that he does not enjoy being cruel, although he may do things which are. I think he just knows what needs to be done to win, despite the fact that they may be vicious acts of cruelty. I think this is a problem that plagues both Ned and then Robb.
                He is also very intelligent and I think that's why he likes Arya. He recognizes in her that she's pretty smart for a young girl and I think that's why he enjoys talking with her.
                sigpic

Comment

magicT,

Tywin is utterly ruthless. That is his strength. He fights to win and will stop at nothing to achive his goals.

There is a great bit from ADWD that I will put in Spoiler Text:

Spoiler:
                  A character is reflecting on everything he attempted to do to capture Robert Baratheon during "Robert's Rebellion" when Robert was holed up in a town west of the God's eye. He recalls saying to another Tywin couldn't have done any better that he had done everthing possible.

The person responds that Tywin would have surrounded the town so that no one could escape, burned it to the ground, and then presented Robert's bones to mad King Aerys. The character who was claiming his competence then realized he lacked the utter ruthlessness of Tywin.

I like Tywin as a character a lot. He's wonderfully complex. Though everyone hates him he is the one man who could probably set the Chaos in Westeros to rights.

I'm mildly proud that I was the first person on the Westeros forum, when we were debating cast, to recommend Charles Dance for the role after seeing him play Tulkinghorn in the BBC "Bleak House". He just screamed Tywin to me.
                  All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Mark me down for Tyrion.
                    sigpic
                    Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Phinguyver,

So, you like villians, eh?
                      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Tyrion being a villian? oh no
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

g.o.d.,

GRRM has said Tyrion is the most sympathetic villian he's ever written.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                            I agree about Tywin and I think it is great we get to see a lot more of him in the series. In the books you would here a lot about him from other characters' POV, so its nice to actually see him first hand.
                            The difference with Tywin is that he does not enjoy being cruel, although he may do things which are. I think he just knows what needs to be done to win, despite the fact that they may be vicious acts of cruelty. I think this is a problem that plagues both Ned and then Robb.
                            He is also very intelligent and I think that's why he likes Arya. He recognizes in her that she's pretty smart for a young girl and I think that's why he enjoys talking with her.
                            Tywin continues to be one of my favorite characters in the series. I agree that he's not like Joffrey in terms of sadism. He is one of those complex "by any means necessary" characters that I've come to like over the years.

In a similar vein, I've really come to appreciate Stannis Baratheon. When I first saw Stephen Dillane, I admittedly had my doubts about him. But now that the season is all but finished, I see the TV character of Stannis being similar to Tywin on a number of levels. Like with Charles Dance, I think Stephen Dillane has managed to bring out different facets of the character that aren't very present in the books. I look forward to seeing Charles Dance and Stephen Dillane again in season 3.

Stannis, I think, is also a "by any means necessary" character. He's resorted to sorcery and fratricide to achieve his ends, it's true. Though he isn't exactly liked by people, I think he's a far better ruler than someone like Joffrey. For all of Stannis' faults, I don't think he's a cruel man on a personal level. He's a very capable military commander on sea and land and is not at all afraid of fighting. He has not asked his troops to do anything he wouldn't do himself as he personally led the charge against King's Landing (something that wasn't in the books) and brought the city's army to its knees despite much of his armada was destroyed by Wildfire.

I dare say that the Stannis in the TV series is much more interesting than the one in the books. The one in the books was cold and dispassionate. The TV Stannis isn't like that at all and is as fierce a battle commander as Tywin Lannister. In a duel between the two, I think Stannis might actually win in one-on-one combat.

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            g.o.d.,

and Tyrion has been one of the highlights of the season. Rallying the troops for the counterattack and then personally leading the charge was brilliant.

Spoiler:
                            I was actually grateful when Tyrion finally did Tywin in at the end of A Storm of Swords and finally broke away from his family. I always thought he didn't really fit in with the Lannisters, especially given how monstrous some of them have been. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't meet Dany face to face in Meereen though.
                            Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 29 May 2012, 07:07 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                              g.o.d.,

I want to not like him, but I just can't...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                              "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                              a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Luna,

Spoiler:
                                think about what Tyrion did to Tysha. That
                                makes it easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X