Destiny's FTL travel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
    Has anyone considered that Destiny may use something closer to Warp Drive (Alcubierre Drive)? It creates a bubble of normal space around the ship so time stays normal on the ship while it is "Warping" or compressing space in front of the ship and expanding it behind the ship so it can go faster then light. Nothing in physics says space it's self can't go faster then light. While this is currently impossible at our state of technological development it wouldn't be impossible for the Ancients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
    It was something I was going to suggest as well. From the imagery it does look like it's in real space. So it's entirely possible that Destiny creates a subspace/warp bubble around it, but it's obviously slower than hyperspace.

Comment

ok i did not read all the posts but i have a theory:
      anyone that watched the episode of stargate sg1 will understand easily my theory (from the season 4 the episode 06 "window of oportunity")
      in a resume i will explain for those that did not watch it:
      in a almoust dead planet, the sg1 encounters ancient ruins sorrounding the stargate, with a control podium.
      while carter analizes the weird electromagnetic storm comes (i think dont remember fully) from the almoust dead sun, daniel studies the ruins that talks of the history of the device, and carter says that this is an unique oportunity since this storm only happens once every 50 years.
      fast fowarding, the machine was make to draw all the energy from that electromagnetic storm in the whole atmosphere to this machine, that using the time "warping" that the stargates use (since carter once in other or in this one dont remember explained that the travelers and objects could take hundreds or even millions of years to pass trough an stargate but thanks to the subspace and time dilation or whatever it uses for us it just a few seconds, in other words inside the wormhole can pass an eternity but for the rest of the universe its just a few seconds) this machine forced 14 planets to repeat at the same time the same 10 hours prior to the storm over and over untill was stopped by the only 2 earth people that remembered that this was happening (oneill and teal`c) after months and months of the same repetition (the others did not know this and did not believe them).
      now let me explain why this is relevant:
      in the 2 season of sgc the episode twin destinies is all about a stargate beeing dialed from the surface of the sun and that basically everyone died and the ship was forced to do a time travel jump backwards.
      my theory involves that the whole ship was taken backwards since the same time "warping" that was used on the milky way stargate with that machine on the sg1 episode the ship uses it when the destiny its on FTL to compensate the doppler or whatever its named (the time issue for going faster than light).
      my guess in that episode when the stargate was fully destabilized the ship systems for the overload whent insane and tried to do a small FTL jump guessing that something on the star (not the stargate) was wrong, instead of moving in space it moved in time untill it shut down by a malfunction probably the overload deep fryng the engines.
      so in resume the ship probably uses less than normally required energy to expand the stargate time "warping" (as i call it since dont recall the 2 lines carter name said once and probably mckay on some atlantis episode) when the ship jumps on FTL gets expanded to the whole ship. thats just my idea since if the ship could have a time dilation technology could be used as in sg1 episode "unending" for example if it is under heavy attack turn it on fix all that its possible to fix on the ship and do a FTL jump or combat the enemy with the ship always on good shape.

Comment

obviously destiny is traveling throught subspace. because before it drops out of FTL we can't see it we see space and a supspace window opening. if destiny traveled through regular space it would look like star trek when it jumps in and out of FTL. BOOM I WIN!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by i am black View Post
          obviously destiny is traveling throught subspace. because before it drops out of FTL we can't see it we see space and a supspace window opening. if destiny traveled through regular space it would look like star trek when it jumps in and out of FTL. BOOM I WIN!!!!!!!
          Yes-by considering that subspace has many layers, lets assume the following:
          that the ftl drive on destiny only gets into the first or few layers of subspace
          being a first gen drive by the ancients, who are not at the height of their civilisation
          HD could have been worked on as being a replacement for all ships with ftl- and thus wasn't available to become
          the standard drive throughout the ancient fleet
          we know there are two types of HD- interstellar and intergalactic. perhaps they never had intergalactic at this
          point?
          the ftl drive was chosen as it was available, didn't need certain parts, they had the power to pump into it via
          stellar tap throughout it's journey to research the CMB, and that it was better in the long run
          however, it needed to be used for a certain number of hours to maintain it's efficiency- therefore the 16 module
          split enabling some survival
          HD couldn't be used as it needed things they didn't have at that point- being a newer drive and using a deeper
          layer of subspace, they had to skip it as it wouldn't work on a long range journey such as this..

obviously the ancients left it all, and ascended and other things happened....
          strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

Working...
          X