X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was in the car at the end?

Comment

Originally posted by RoK View Post
      From what I've been reading Lydia did get bitten from Peter Hale (Derek's uncle). Seeing that she survived, does that make her another werewolf or something else? Also, I have to give props for Scott for being the alpha of his own "pack" (Stiles, Allison, Lydia, and Jackson). Even though by wolf standards he's an Omega (a wolf without a pack and on his own), he's doing quite well. Also...

Spoiler:
      I'm not too surprised that Jackson's the Kanima, though I did wish it was Lydia. It would definitely give her character more, depth, I guess. I'm not sure how to put it. Perhaps they can give her character more expansion in this season.
      Well, since another alpha recognized Scott as an alpha...it seems that by werewolf standards...he IS an alpha.

Originally posted by Ibn Rushd View Post
      Who was in the car at the end?
      Grandpa Argent
      sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf season 2 episode 6 review: Frenemy
        Review by Ron Hogan Jul 3, 2012

This week's Teen Wolf boasts the revelation we've been waiting for and some great fight scenes. Here's Ron's review...

This review contains spoilers.

2.6 Frenemy.

Spoiler:
        The secret has been revealed. The kanima, a mystery until last week, has been outed and with every moment of freedom, it seems as though Jackson has gone from annoyance to wannabe shifter to legitimate danger. With every moment Jackson runs free, more lives are put into danger and it seem as though no one can really stop the kanima menace. Derek can't beat it in a one-on-one fight; Scott can only annoy it and delay it. Even Argent, with a massive handgun and several well-placed shots, can't down the thing. Instead, it scampers off in search of its next victim.

That victim is Danny, Jackson's best friend and the only person who may know Jackson's secret outside of the core group of werewolves and hunters. Why would Jackson want to hurt his best friend? That's a very good question, and one Danny better hope everyone else can answer before the pile of paralyzed gay men left in the wake of the kanima becomes a pile of dead gay men.

Frenemy's cold opening this week is brilliant. We go straight into the fighting between lizard and werewolf, and it's very impressive. Russell Mulcahy, the director of this week's episode, knows how to shoot some great fight sequences, and if they're shrouded in darkness or taking place in some creepy area under a bridge or freeway, so much the better. Hence, this week's best fight takes place under a bridge, and there's a similarly great scene that takes place in the local gay bar in which the Jackson kanima stalks poor Danny as he gets his groove on with the rest of Beacon Hills' gay community.

Also, Lydia has a meeting with Matt (Stephen Lunsford) the creepy photographer boy who keeps randomly popping up in episodes, doing something creepy—in this case, finding and carrying Lydia's dog back to her before giving her a flower and telling her he wants to kiss her—and disappearing again. If you know where they're going with this character, please tell me in the comments, because they could go in any direction and I would not be surprised. Maybe he's becoming an Argent associate; maybe he's just a creeper. Either way, I think I like the ambiguity.

This week's episode of Teen Wolf, penned by series creator Jeff Davis, zooms along at a breakneck pace, only slowing down to properly milk the tension of certain moments, like Gerard Argent using his lie-detecting thumbs on his granddaughter’s throat, or when Jackson uses his kanima hearing to listen in while Stiles, Allison, and Scott discuss just what to do with the lizard monster acquaintance they have chained up in a borrowed paddy wagon. Those moments, particularly the way Colton Haynes plays Jackson's painful transformation from man to beast, are very effective. Ditto the digital effects and/or make-up to create the creature. There are still moments when it doesn't look as good (like when it climbs walls), but when it's prowling around on the ceiling or stalking, it's a great-looking creation. Also very impressive was Jackson's partial transformations at various points this week.

Teen Wolf, at its core, is a show that does a great job of hiding its seams. For example, product placement occurs in most shows, but Teen Wolf manages to do it fairly gracefully. Even this week's Pandora mention was handled well, because you need mood music when you're going to have sex in your car. The show does love its cheesy fun moments, and this is one of them, akin to when a show like 30 Rock does a straight reading of a commercial into the camera. It works because the show refuses to acknowledge that it's a product placement and includes Pandora (or its musical tracks) as a simple fact of life. People who can get Pandora on their car radios would use it; that's how I got hooked on satellite radio. People eat Reese's Cups out of vending machines. People listen to music while driving or dancing or whatever.

I appreciate realistic touches in television, and if it pays the bills at the same time, so much the better. When you're dealing with a show about werewolves and lizard monsters and the like, you need all the realism you can get.
        sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf Season 2 Episode 7 Restraint Promo

sigpic

Comment

-runs in and falls down- Hey, I have returned from my vacation. Sorry for not replying sooner. Anyway, all caught up on the episodes. I'm just curious though, what is Peter Hale's plan for Lydia? Seeing that she didn't die or get turned when he bit her. Also, who is the Kanima's master?
            sigpic

Comment

-runs in and falls down- Hey, I have returned from my vacation. Sorry for not replying sooner. Anyway, all caught up on the episodes. I'm just curious though, what is Peter Hale's plan for Lydia? Seeing that she didn't die or get turned when he bit her. Also, who is the Kanima's master?
              IDK what hale's plan is...but I get a feeling that the kanima's master is grandpa Argent.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                IDK what hale's plan is...but I get a feeling that the kanima's master is grandpa Argent.
                I'm thinking that as well. Either that or it's somebody completely unexpected.
                sigpic

Comment

I think that the master is Peter Hale via Lydia.

Spoilers for most recent episode.

Spoiler:
                  I think the pratty science teacher is too obvious. Beacon Hills seems rather small-ish.

Also, love the irony of the werewolf hunters' leader becoming a werewolf. Or will she become a Kanima as well? Or is she dead? Eeinteresting.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Teen Wolf season 2 episode 7 review: Restraint
                    Review Ron Hogan Jul 11, 2012

With welcome nods to The Breakfast Club, Ron salutes the latest episode of Teen Wolf...

2.7 Restraint

Spoiler:
                    Just because you know your enemy, that doesn't mean it's easy to stop said enemy. For example, the kanima is Jackson; Scott and Stiles know this, but they can't exactly overpower him when he's out killing in lizard form. While Jackson isn't a friend, he's not in control of himself either; that's no reason to simply follow a Derek Hale-type solution and just kill him outright. Stopping Jackson -and his mastermind - is the plan. It's just tougher than it ought to be considering all the interference from Peter and his gang of werewolves, various school officials, and Jackson himself.

There's also the restraining order; let's not forget that. That's right, Jackson takes his issues with Scott to the legal system, rather than simply fighting it out monster-a-monster. Though, to be fair, they do that too, in a really brutal fight in the locker room when Scott walks in and sees Jackson semi-molesting Allison (who was sent to look for Jackson in the first place).

There are other things at play here, namely Lydia and her mystery man who I completely misidentified last week as Matt the camera guy. As it turns out, Matt is just Matt, the guy obsessing over Allison (and he asks her to a rave/concert/party thing this week, to which she says yes possibly to just get him to go away, but still, potential plot twist!). Lydia's mystery man remains a mystery, until the end of the episode. I love Lydia's storyline, and I like how I really have no idea what's real and what isn't with her (admittedly, I was way behind the commentators on the Lydia hallucination thing). Things seem to end up being more static this week, with some real reveals, but still - can you believe what Lydia sees?

Can you believe what Jackson sees, for that matter? As the conflict between Jackson and the kanima within him increases, he's becoming more and more unhinged. He's hallucinating commands in book titles, he's having fugues and waking up covered in blood from the events of the cold opening trailer kill... Jackson's not exactly having a smooth transition into his new status as a shape shifter, and whoever is pulling his strings is a dangerous person with a specific mission in mind. We don't know who that is yet, but he's not afraid to get his hands dirty (or she, I guess).

I really enjoy the cinematic touches that Russell Mulcahy brings to Teen Wolf. He makes some great choices in this week's episode. I like the nods to The Breakfast Club - the Teen Wolf gang gets detention in the library and told not to leave their seats, yet they leave their seats almost immediately - and more importantly I like the way he handled the scarier content in tonight's episode. The scene in which Jackson goes lizard and starts wrecking the library, only to get pulled into an automatic writing episode was simply hair-raising.

Credit goes to Colton Haynes for his great physical work in that particular scene, and bonus points must be given for the megalomaniacal way he delivered his threats to Allison in the scene in the boy's locker room. It's not terribly menacing, but it is interesting—ditto Eaddy Mays as Victoria Argent, Allison's mother, who has become one of the show's treats. Her decidedly not subtle threats toward Scott when she learns from Melissa McCall that their children may or may not be having sex was very funny in a very intentionally campy way. It was another solid episode from the writing team of Nick Antosca and Ned Vizzini, who have turned in quality work all season.

That's what I think I enjoy most about Teen Wolf. It balances funny with scary, action with romance, and campy with serious without losing the effectiveness of any of the moments in any permanent way. There may be moments that go awry, or episodes that fail to strike the perfect balance, but most of the time Teen Wolf gets it right and produces an entertaining hour of television. This week was very entertaining.
                    sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf season 2 episode 8 review: Raving
                      Review Ron Hogan Jul 17, 2012

It was a busy week for Teen Wolf, with plenty of twisting plots in the lead-up to the series' next big revelation. Here's Ron's review...

2.8 Raving.

Spoiler:
                      Actions have consequences. When you've got a lizard monster running around killing people, there are going to be repercussions. When you've got the son of the sheriff stealing police equipment, kidnapping the son of a powerful attorney, and generally breaking every law imaginable in the pursuit of the greater good and health of the community... well, you've still got someone breaking a whole lot of laws, and that has to be dealt with.

In this case, Sheriff Stilinski (Linden Ashby) appears to be suffering as a result of his son's antics, and the kanima keeps on killing. Still, before Stiles Sr. loses his job, he and Stiles show off their smarts in a scene in which the Stiles clan researches the kanima's killing pattern to search for clues. The victims have all been 24-year-olds, Class of 2006. And, curiously enough, they all have the same teacher: Mr. Harris (Adam Fristoe) the creepy chemistry teacher. Is that a red herring? That remains to be seen.

There were a lot of things happening this week. Argent is pressuring his daughter; Scott and the wolves are trying to capture Jackson before he kills the next victim on his master's list; Scott and Allison are having relationship problems; even Dr. Deaton (the vet, played by Seth Gilliam) has some sort of relationship going on with the guidance counsellor (Ms. Morrall, played by Bianca Lawson). I'm leaving out a few things, but long story short, everyone is busy. It could very easily be crowded, but the script from Jeff Davis seems to keep everything balanced well. You get just enough of every storyline to keep them all sizzling, and not too much of any one thing. The main action stays in the focus, and the multiple story lines all come together at the underground concert in a clever bit of writing. It can get a bit confusing if you're not paying attention, but the show does a good job at making it easy to pay attention to.

Interestingly, we get Argent's first name this week; Gerard calls him Chris, which I think might be the first time we've heard his actual first name on the show. Thus far he's been Mr. Argent or Argent or some variation of that, but apparently his name is Chris, and while he has one great face-off with Derek and Boyd, this week is the Eaddy Mays show.

Mrs. Argent stole the show this week, displaying some clever cruelty and oddly funny comments on how weed was smoked in her day versus how weed is smoked these days. It's interesting to see that character go from just the woman who looks really creepy as she spies on her daughter to having some more definition. Granted, she's still obviously a danger to Scott (given the way she treats him this week), but apparently she also used to party, so she can't be all bad. As one of the more underused characters, it's fun to see her get more face time and not just threaten sexual violence to Scott via pencil sharpener. Her first major stunt scene in the show - a brilliant fight with Derek - was a whole lot of fun. Quick, but hard-hitting and well shot by Russell Mulcahy, who knows how to play in light and shadows, even if those shadows are strobes.

To the credit of the crew of Teen Wolf, the show seems to know where it's going when it introduces potential solutions to its various problems: who was the alpha, who is the kanima, who is controlling the kanima. The show is great at creating suspects, and giving them just enough rope before pulling them back in from suspicion, leaving only the culprit. We are going into the ninth episode of the show, and I have no idea who the puppet master for the kanima is, I only know who it is not. There's a list of suspects, a speculative reason behind the controlling, but nothing solid yet.

Personally, I can't wait for answers.
                      sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf Season 2 Episode 9 Promo Party Guessed

sigpic

Comment

Wow...just when I thought Teen Wolf couldn't get any better...it amps things up this week. Its nice to finally learn Mr. Argent's first name. I still wanna know who is controlling the kanima. I also wanna know what the vet has going on with the counselor. It looks like next week's episode should be another good one.

I found the following pics of Colton Haynes in Kanima makeup. He doesn't have the slit eyes in...but I thought they were cool.

sigpic

Comment

Nice pics. I do have to say one thing, Mr. Argent's first name, Chris, was discovered in the first season. Unless you're talking about Mrs. Argent, then that makes more sense.

My question is, is Scott a part of Derek's pack officially, or is he still an Omega? According to season preimere, an Omega is a wolf who isn't a part of a pack. Either they lost their pack or they willingly left. If they can willingly leave, does that mean Scott can leave Derek's pack (if he's a part of it) at anytime or will he remain with it?
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice pics. I do have to say one thing, Mr. Argent's first name, Chris, was discovered in the first season. Unless you're talking about Mrs. Argent, then that makes more sense.

My question is, is Scott a part of Derek's pack officially, or is he still an Omega? According to season preimere, an Omega is a wolf who isn't a part of a pack. Either they lost their pack or they willingly left. If they can willingly leave, does that mean Scott can leave Derek's pack (if he's a part of it) at anytime or will he remain with it?
                              I would venture to say that Scott is a part of Derek's pack.
                              Spoiler:
                              If you remember at the end of episode 7 Scott declared himself a part of Derek's pack. Then in episode 8 when Victoria was using wolfsbane smoke to kill Scott, Scott howled. Derek responded to the howl as an Alpha protecting his pack. Then, of course, Victoria got herself a little bite on the shoulder.
                              As for leaving the pack at will, I don't know. However, that may be addressed later.
                              sigpic

Comment

After a strong first and second season, MTV’s hit supernatural drama Teen Wolf claws its way into a third season. The network not only announced the show’s renewal this week at Comic-Con – but also that the series episode count has been doubled to include 24 episodes, instead of the 12 they had for the previous two seasons.

Loosely based on the ’80s film of the same name, Teen Wolf centers on recently-turned teen werewolf Scott McCall (Tyler Posey), who is learning to cope with his newfound power while trying to maintain a normal life.

(click on title for source)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X