Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teen Wolf episode 5 review: The Tell

Ron Hogan

It's time for werewolf action in the latest episode of Teen Wolf, which remains one of the most surprising TV shows of the year...

Published on Jun 28, 2011

This review contains spoilers.

Spoiler:
    5. The Tell

Poor Scott. All he wants is to be a normal, boring teenager. Despite all the perks being a werewolf has given him (sports skills, popularity, the ability to smell/hear lies, cuddliness), he still complains, day in and day out, that he wants to just be normal. To Derek, to Stiles, to whomever will listen. So, Scott decides to take a day off from avoiding Derek Hale's creepy stalker urges to ‘train' him and heads out into the woods with his girlfriend, Allison.

For this week's episode, Teen Wolf splits into two radically different sections. Scott and Allison go off for a romp in the forest and get to spend some quality time together, while the rest of the characters in the show either deal with the fallout from the more aggressive actions of the alpha werewolf. And believe me, the alpha wolf is getting into scraps left and right.

When Jackson and Lydia are headed to the local video store to pick up The Notebook, the guy in the blue polo shirt who should be handing out romances is splattered along the floor. Poor Jackson gets mashed beneath some racks of back catalog DVDs and possibly molested by a wolfy claw. Poor Lydia gets a close-up view of the rampaging beast. Even Derek is feeling the heat of the alpha wolf's presence, but Scotty boy gets off, ahem, scot-free and gets to romp around in the trees without a care in the world, blowing off school, work, and parent-teacher conferences.

This was an interesting episode in a lot of ways. For one, we got our first good looks at the werewolf in action, thanks to some surveillance camera footage, the close encounter in the Blockbuster-style video store, and the cell phone video on Lydia's phone (that Stiles steals from her while she's loopy on drugs).

I have to say, while the werewolf's glowing red evil eyes is cheesy, the rest of the werewolf (by TV standards) doesn't look awful. I think the nice blend of practical effects for the half wolfing favored by Derek and Scott mixed with CGI for the full wolfing might be the best solution, given the inability of the show to just have Rick Baker hanging around, waiting to werewolf somebody every episode.

Another interesting aspect of the show is the way Kate Argent (Jill Wagner) came on screen and basically became the best character on the program (aside from Stiles, whom I still like a lot, if only due to his surprising physical comedy skills and appropriately teenage awkwardness). Yes, she's a little overbearing at times, but I enjoy her straight-faced delivery of such cheesy lines, and I also like the way she seems to objectify everyone she sees, even if it's a werewolf twenty-something she just blasted with a telescoping cattle prod.

As it turns out, everyone's in town looking for the same beast, from the Argents to Derek and Scott. The hard part just might turn out to be finding it, assuming the various groups can get out of one another's way long enough to focus attention on the true enemy. Then again, Derek knows where the Argents live, and vice versa, yet they're not actively trying to kill one another with any seriousness. The alpha wolf, however, doesn't seem to be playing this game of chase as casually as everyone else.

The division of the episode between action segments and Scott and Allison cavorting worked pretty well. We find out more about Allison's life and personality, and everything pulls together nicely for the climax. Most of the attention is paid to the action segments, rather than Scott, and the show is strong enough that Scott can retreat into the background and let the other characters have a little glory. It may even be stronger this way than when it pays too much attention to Scott.

Still, for better or worse, Scott's the star of the show. There are characters enough to bypass Scott for an episode or two, but he should still be a big deal in terms of the show (his absence, this week, is his big deal).

They can't yet get too far away from his core journey, nor can they keep delaying the growth of his character. And time is running out if he wants to learn how to control his powers before the alpha wolf makes him kill to prove his wolfishness.

Source: Den of Geek
    sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf Episode 6 “Heart Monitor” Description

MTV has released an official description for the July 4 episode of Teen Wolf.

The episode is called "Heart Monitor." Beware of some minor spoilers!

Spoiler:
      Scott tries to control his transformation so he can spend more time with Allison. Elsewhere, Derek continues trying to make an ally of Scott.

The spoilers are VERY minor!!!
      sigpic

Comment

This show is OK in parts and awful in others. The focus should be on the werewolf mythology and how/when the hunters got started. I may be just too old, but the cringeworthy teen-angst moments on the show bring it down from being good to just OK.

The producers should have never used the Teen Wolf name since there are only minor similarities with the 1985 movie. While that was a campy comedy that reflected the time it was made in, this show tries to do teen romance seriously and fails.

The movie did a better job at what it was intended to do compared to this point in the TV show.

The TV show could be made better, but since it is on MTV, I doubt if the network would allow it to get away from some of the Twilight trappings it is using.

Wrong focus for the show and on the wrong network.
        Spoiler:
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redhooks View Post
          This show is OK in parts and awful in others. The focus should be on the werewolf mythology and how/when the hunters got started. I may be just too old, but the cringeworthy teen-angst moments on the show bring it down from being good to just OK.

The producers should have never used the Teen Wolf name since there are only minor similarities with the 1985 movie. While that was a campy comedy that reflected the time it was made in, this show tries to do teen romance seriously and fails.

The movie did a better job at what it was intended to do compared to this point in the TV show.

The TV show could be made better, but since it is on MTV, I doubt if the network would allow it to get away from some of the Twilight trappings it is using.

Wrong focus for the show and on the wrong network.
          While I agree with you on the comment about the network...I disagree with your other points. The so called, teen angst is minimal and normal for teenagers...especially today's teens. If you were in public education (like I am) you would see that the teens on the show are acting better than most teens act in this day and age. This show isn't a teen romance...if you want that then watch Twilight.

As for the title of the show its appropriate...its about a teen wolf...hence the name.
          sigpic

Comment

New Teen Wolf tomorrow
            sigpic

Comment

Another solid episode of Teen Wolf.

Spoiler:
              Very interesting episode. In the beginning I thought it was the alpha chasing Scott, but it was Derek "teaching" him. I like that Scott is getting control of his transformation.

It seems that Derek thinks that Scott's boss is the Alpha. Whoever the Alpha is...he's one big mo-fo! I know that Scott's boss was in the back of Derek's car when Scott and Stiles went in the school so Scott could howl. Then we see boss man is missing and poof the Alpha is there. I just get a gut feeling that is intended to throw us off.

I also wonder what's up with Jackson and those wounds on his neck. I know how he got them, but they're not healing and he keeps seeing freaky stuff. Any thoughts here?
              sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf episode 6 review: Heart Monitor

Ron Hogan

Toby Wilkins continues to deliver fine work on Teen Wolf, as the show's latest episode keeps the standard high...

Published on Jul 5, 2011

This review contains spoilers.

Spoiler:
                6. Heart Monitor

Scott, who's spent most of the past few episodes shirking his werewolf responsibility, has decided to take his destiny square on, thanks to a pep talk from Stiles and some more stalkery action from Derek Hale. That's right, Scott's in training. Werewolf training. And he's going to be all he can be one way or another, because Derek Hale needs Scott's help to ferret out and kill the alpha wolf who keeps slaying indiscriminately throughout Beacon Hills.

Time is of the essence. For Scott, it's learn to control yourself, become a killer, or be killed. For Derek, it's get Scott to start thinking with his brain or potentially be killed, either by the Argents or the alpha. For Stiles, it's make funny quips and provide comic relief, as well as occasionally pelt your best friend with lacrosse balls while engaging in interspecies light bondage. Meanwhile, Scott has to keep his girlfriend while avoiding the distractions that come with having a girlfriend.

One of the positive things Teen Wolf has is the ability to keep us off balance about just who the alpha wolf is. Derek Hale was a suspect for a long time, but after him, there are any number of background characters who may or may not be the werewolf, from Scott's boss at the vet clinic to several of the teachers at the school, or even Allison Argent herself. Every character, aside from Scott and Stiles, could have potentially been the alpha werewolf at one point or another, but some characters have been eliminated from the proceedings.

Still, there are a lot of possibles, and while this week's episode of Teen Wolf seems to have narrowed the potentials down to one guy, that's not an instant out. After all, we don't see where that one guy goes, so maybe he's just dog food. Either way, I'm interested to see how this all plays out, now that Scott and Derek have gotten the attention of the big bad wolf.

However, the fact that Scott can now control his werewolf powers without Derek's assistance seems a bit rushed. Yes, I do like the fact that Allison, Scott's greatest weakness, is also his greatest strength. As it turns out, ‘twasn't beauty killed the beast, but beauty controlling the beast. When Scott needs to not wolf out, he just has to distract himself with Allison. When it's wolfing time, he's just got to get really, really angry (and he's got an infinite amount of sexual frustration to tap into when it comes to getting irritated). It's a cute way to kind of guide Scott on his journey, but what if he gets irritated at Allison? Will he one day accidentally wolf out and rip her head off, because his only source of calm has morphed into a source of frustration? Perhaps I'm thinking too far ahead.

This week's episode was very tight, the third of three from Toby Wilkins, best known for Splinter. He makes good use of shadowy locations here, from the parking garage to the school, and he handles the werewolf fairly well (as he did in the two previous episodes, Magic Bullet and The Tell). The script seems to make Derek Hale a little more desperate, and a little more willing to expose himself to the world (or at least risk arrest by beating the crap out of people). That part works well, since it's kill or be killed time, but I'm not crazy about Stiles' plan to test his best friend's werewolf defenses by having him beaten up by a gang of thugs.

Aside from that, there were some very good scenes in the script, written by newcomer, David Sinclair. In particular, Stiles has some great lines (as he always does), but some of the decisions made by the characters are questionable. Still, there have been more inconsistent episodes, and there were enough good moments to balance out against the bad. There are some interesting ways this week's events could play out in the future, and I'm curious to see just how they'll work things out.

That's one of the most shocking things about Teen Wolf. Yes, it's a teen drama, but it's actually a good teen drama. The show has dumb moments, and sometimes the musical cues can be a bit heavy-handed, but the soundtrack is great and, by and large, there are some good things going on in spite of the audience. Color me stunned that the show remains entertaining six episodes in.

Source: Den of Geek
                sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf Episode 7 “Night School” Description

MTV has released an official description for the July 11 episode of Teen Wolf which is titled "Night School."

Spoiler:
                  The gang gets trapped in the high school overnight, and they're under the threat of attack from a powerful werewolf, who's trying to get in.
                  sigpic

Comment

Another fantastic episode!!!

Spoiler:
                    I'm pretty sure Jackson got his neck scrapes from the alpha last time in the video shop, not from Derek. Derek mostly put a whole in his neck, but the alpha put 3 lines, and one seemed to glow.

Poor Scott not keeping up with school work.

This was bad news for Derek at the end, so I went and checked imdb! He's not in next week's, because I guess it's just Scott and Stiles locked in the school, but Derek is back for the rest.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Rushd View Post
                      Another fantastic episode!!!

Spoiler:
                      I'm pretty sure Jackson got his neck scrapes from the alpha last time in the video shop, not from Derek. Derek mostly put a whole in his neck, but the alpha put 3 lines, and one seemed to glow.

Poor Scott not keeping up with school work.

This was bad news for Derek at the end, so I went and checked imdb! He's not in next week's, because I guess it's just Scott and Stiles locked in the school, but Derek is back for the rest.

It just keeps getting better and better.
                      Looks like next week will be another excellent episode! I heard that there are only 10-13 episodes. So, we're quickly getting to the end of season 1! I hope its done well enough to warrant a season 2!
                      sigpic

Comment

This is on page 2! Lack of comments!

Am looking forward to tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Rushd View Post
                          This is on page 2! Lack of comments!

Am looking forward to tomorrow night.
                          What is on page 2?
                          sigpic

Comment

This thread was. It's now back on page 1.

Spoiler:
                            I think you're right about the vet being a throw-off, something to distract us with.

Earlier when I was suggesting it was Argent, I was thinking more along a Batman line, but I guess that's what he would be anyone, leading a secret life as the alpha.

Comment

Ahhh...ok...now I follow you!

So, what do you think will happen with our favorite wolfie boy tonight?
                              sigpic

Comment

Yet again another excellent episode of Teen Wolf. I honestly still cannot believe that this show is shaping up to be worlds better than I ever dreamed it would be.

Spoiler:
                                Tonight we start with Stiles and Scott trapped in their school by the Alpha. Then Allison gets a mysterious text from Scott, which wasn't sent by Scott. So, now we have Allison, Jackson, Lydia, Scott, and Stiles trapped in the school.

All the while, Jackson seems to be plotting to get Allison away from Scott. I'm wondering if that's the alpha exerting control over Jackson. Because you saw what happened to Jackson when the alpha made Scott shift. It was like Jackson was in pain like he was going to shift. To top it off Jackson gave Lydia the wrong chemical so that the "cocktail" she made wouldn't ignite. As the end of the episode, we see that Jackson's efforts to break up Scott and Allison might have worked. I just wonder how long they'll stay separated.

I also think Scott created a butt load of trouble for Derek when he comes back in the picture.

We're still left with the question...Who is the alpha?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X