Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teen Wolf Reboot MTV Series

'Teen Wolf' Gets A Reboot In MTV Series
    The show, which starts production this summer, is a darker take on the high school werewolf story.

By Kara Warner

Young men who spontaneously transform into wolves are hot right now, especially in the age of "Twilight." Now, MTV is getting into the shape-shifting business with a modern spin on the cult-classic '80s hit "Teen Wolf."

The series is said to be a departure from the film — a campy comedy that starred Michael J. Fox — and is described in a press release as a "sexy thriller set against the drama of high school life with a forbidden, romantic love story at its core."

The series centers on Scott McCall as the quintessential outsider, struggling to be recognized in a way that takes him out of high school anonymity. One night, his best friend, Stiles, convinces him to go into the woods to join a police search for a dead body. Scott ends up being attacked by a creature in the darkness, narrowly surviving with a vicious bite in his side. When he wakes up the next morning, he is greeted with strange surprises and a life that will never be the same.

"We are always up for creative challenges at MTV," said Liz Gateley, MTV senior vice president of series development. "We loved the conceit of the original film and knew the title had a great hook. The creative challenge was to take that title and reinvent it as a horror series for the MTV audience. It combines romance and high school to make 'Teen Wolf' the perfect thriller for MTV."

"Teen Wolf" stars Tyler Posey ("Maid in Manhattan," "Brothers and Sisters") as the newly bitten werewolf; Dylan O'Brien is Stiles; Crystal Reed is the mysterious new girl in town, Allison; and Tyler Hoechlin ("Road to Perdition," "7th Heaven") is the older and possibly dangerous werewolf, Derek Hale.

"Teen Wolf" is slated to begin production this summer for 12 one-hour episodes.
    sigpic

A werewolf show! Cool! On MTV, and full of romance....oh....

Comment

Teen Wolf actor Tyler Posey (Maid in Manhattan, Brothers & Sisters)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
        A werewolf show! Cool! On MTV, and full of romance....oh....
        Romance? I saw that they were calling it a horror series.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          Romance? I saw that they were calling it a horror series.
          Yes, but the article above said "sexy thriller set against the drama of high school life with a forbidden, romantic love story at its core." I'm not sure what to think of that. ..

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            Yes, but the article above said "sexy thriller set against the drama of high school life with a forbidden, romantic love story at its core." I'm not sure what to think of that. ..
            I guess my brain didn't process those words...
            sigpic

Comment

I saw the trailer for it a while back, thought it was absolutely crap. They shouldn't bother calling it Teen Wolf. It screamed Twilight without the Vampires to me.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                I saw the trailer for it a while back, thought it was absolutely crap. They shouldn't bother calling it Teen Wolf. It screamed Twilight without the Vampires to me.
                Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I saw the trailer...which is what made me do a little research on the series. Of course, when I watch the first episode...I might change my mind.
                sigpic

Comment

not sure what to think of this. i've seen a few episodes from the show in the 80's (which was good) and long before the twilight crap. i'm not sure how mtv is going to make this, but i imagine it'll be more like twilight. maybe i'll check it out to see though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    I'm usually keen on watching anything with werewolves. But having seen little bits of the trailer, I really can't ignore my instincts: I'm going to pass on this one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                      not sure what to think of this. i've seen a few episodes from the show in the 80's (which was good) and long before the twilight crap. i'm not sure how mtv is going to make this, but i imagine it'll be more like twilight. maybe i'll check it out to see though.
                      There was a Teen Wolf show in the 80s? I just know of the movies.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        There was a Teen Wolf show in the 80s? I just know of the movies.
                        Yeah, it was an animated show based off the movie. Perhaps you're thinking of the show, "Big Wolf on Campus", blueray. I saw that one. I'm not sure if I want to see this new series. Every time I think of werewolves now, I think of "Twilight". I might watch the first couple of episodes to see if it's any good.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoK View Post
                          Yeah, it was an animated show based off the movie. Perhaps you're thinking of the show, "Big Wolf on Campus", blueray. I saw that one. I'm not sure if I want to see this new series. Every time I think of werewolves now, I think of "Twilight". I might watch the first couple of episodes to see if it's any good.
                          Oh yeah...I remember the animated series now that you mention it. I was thinking of a live action show.
                          sigpic

Comment

There is a first look this Wednesday on MTV. Its on at 10:01pm CST.
                            sigpic

Comment

The first look was pretty good. They showed the first 8 minutes of the show. The first episode airs this Sunday. Then the second episode airs on its regular night, which will be Monday.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X