Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Teen Wolf Reboot *MTV Series*

Teen Wolf episode 4 review: Magic Bullet

Ron Hogan

Teen Wolf still faces challenges, but the show is hitting its stride. Can it pull all of its segments together, though? Here's Ron's review...

Published on Jun 21, 2011

This review contains spoilers.

Spoiler:
    1.4 Magic Bullet

One of the nasty parts about being a werewolf is probably the fact that people keep trying to kill you. While Scott's only gotten an arrow into the arm so far, Derek Hale has been far less lucky. The family home was burned to the ground, his sister was killed, and in this episode, he gets shot in the arm with some kind of magic poisoned bullet. Note to self: if you ever become a werewolf, invest in a bulletproof vest.

Still, an injured Derek stumbles into the way of Stiles and Scott, and since Scott's got a job to do (find the magic bullet at Allison's house and save Derek's life), that leaves Stiles to care for the injured, angry Derek. And yes, it's as amusing as you could imagine, given Stiles' general character's reality-based lifestyle and Hale's brooding older werewolf shtick.

Stiles, as a character, is a great grounding element to the show, and he's generally the best thing about whatever scene he's in. His interaction with Hale in this episode? Priceless stuff, really. Very funny and great writing, without being too jokey.

Meanwhile, in order for Scott to infiltrate the Argent household, he uses his connection with Allison to get in the door and do a little learning about her background. What he finds out, he doesn't seem to like, but then she starts making out with him and that makes things much more tolerable. Then, her father comes home. Cue awkwardness. Cue barely restrained distaste.

And also, cue new character, Kate Argent (Jill Wagner), who turns the awkwardness up to eleven by commenting on Scott's cute brown eyes while inviting him over for dinner. So, Scott gets a nice family meal and Stiles gets to wrangle an angry, threatening werewolf. Seems fair.

One of the dynamics the show introduced this week was Allison's werewolf-hunting family and their relationships, both with one another and the world at large. Allison, who last week showed off gymnastics and high fall skills, now confesses to being an archery nut, while her father's career as a "gun dealer" is revealed to Scott. The Argent family backstory, as well as the Hale family backstory, are being filled out at a steady, but not too heavy pace.

Meanwhile, Allison's aunt, Kate, has added both a sense of fun to the Argent family (via her gentle teasing of Scott) and a sense of danger to the Argent family (via her blatant threatening of Scott later in the episode). She seems like she's going to be trouble, and not only because she seems like the person on the show most likely to shotgun our hero to death. She's helped establish the dynamics of the Argent family. Argent, the father, has rules about killing and injuring werewolves, Kate, not so much, it seems, given her brief square off with Argent over the hunting of Derek Hale.

This week seems as though the show is finding a steady stride. Of all four episodes, episode four is the one that seems to work the best at all the elements the show is striving to incorporate: romance, intrigue, suspense, action, and comedy. There are some genuinely great moments between Stiles and Derek. On a similar tone, the whole dinner scene between Scott and the Argents is very uncomfortable (and when Allison covers for Scott's snooping, it gets even better). It goes without saying that this episode featured the least amount of Scott's high school nemeses, Lydia and Jackson.

The toughest part of the show will be making the high school segments work better than the non-high school segments. I like Scott as a werewolf, and I like the werewolf drama, but the high school drama? Not so much. There's the tough part of the show. Make that come together (or keep writing around it) and we'll be onto something.

Source: Den of Geek

All in all a good review! IMHO, the show keeps on delivering and getting better each week!

Teen Wolf Episode 5: "The Tell"

Season 1, Episode 5

Spoiler:
    Episode Synopsis: There's another animal attack involving Lydia and Jackson, raising more questions about wild animals. Meanwhile, Scott and Allison skip school and Derek must deal with the werewolf hunters on his own. Original Air Date: Jun 27, 2011

My post contains questions and spoilers.

Spoiler:
    1) The beginning sequence with the woman in car and werewolf tracking her got me scared, then she pulled a shotgun. I figured she was another hunter, but it got even more plot twisting when we discover she's Argent's sister. (Does he have a name yet?)

2) What's with the glass shards on Allison's car? And what was the powder she stepped on?

3) Derek is getting to be more likeable, plus he is handsome so that's a plus.

LtColCarter, the review you posted from Den of Geek was very good. I'm still not sure why people are not liking this show, and the ratings are struggling. I suppose a highly specialty channel like MTV and MuchMusic would make only those who watch those channels anyway watch these programs, plus they're not on antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Rushd View Post
    My post contains questions and spoilers.

Spoiler:
    1) The beginning sequence with the woman in car and werewolf tracking her got me scared, then she pulled a shotgun. I figured she was another hunter, but it got even more plot twisting when we discover she's Argent's sister. (Does he have a name yet?)

2) What's with the glass shards on Allison's car? And what was the powder she stepped on?

3) Derek is getting to be more likeable, plus he is handsome so that's a plus.

LtColCarter, the review you posted from Den of Geek was very good. I'm still not sure why people are not liking this show, and the ratings are struggling. I suppose a highly specialty channel like MTV and MuchMusic would make only those who watch those channels anyway watch these programs, plus they're not on antenna.
    To answer your spoiler questions:
    Spoiler:
    No, we know everyone's name but Mr. Argent's name. Even on IMDB.com it only has him listed as "Argent."

The car with the glass shards was Kate's SUV. I don't know what the powder is, but I would assume (based on my knowledge of other supernatural type shows) that it is some sort of "werewolf-b-gone" powder.

Yes, Derek is getting more likeable, but he's still a bit stiff and rigid. Once he gets the board outta his booty...I'm sure he'll be even more likeable.

I don't think the issue is people not liking the show. Some people (as you can see from comments on here) didn't even give the show a chance because it is on MTV and because the trailers and teasers really didn't do the show justice. Also the show is billed as a reboot of the movie from 1985, but IMHO it blows the 1985 movie outta the water. The writers are doing an excellent job of balancing all aspects of the show.

Totally agree that it's better than the movie. And I saw it, it was awful.

I think another issue is that it's during the summer, and that is "re-run season" so no one's paying attention or looking for new shows. Everyone's at the beach on vacation (except us).

Spoiler:
    I realized that about the car when I started to rewatch it last night. Allison's car is dark, and Kate's is old and brown.

I just noticed that is seems to be just us 2 on the thread. Where'd everybody go?

Totally agree that it's better than the movie. And I saw it, it was awful.

I think another issue is that it's during the summer, and that is "re-run season" so no one's paying attention or looking for new shows. Everyone's at the beach on vacation (except us).

Spoiler:
    I realized that about the car when I started to rewatch it last night. Allison's car is dark, and Kate's is old and brown.

I just noticed that is seems to be just us 2 on the thread. Where'd everybody go?
    I wish I knew where everyone was! Some people wrote off the show without even watching it. There have been few others popping in saying they like the show, but then they disappear.

popping in again I watched the 4th?ep(Magic Bullet) last night(I'm buying the eps off iTunes since I refuse to sit through MTV commercials lol , and its just easier for me).

I like Derek. I thought Derek and Stiles were great in this last ep. I loved their scenes in the car and at the vet, those were my favorite parts of the episode.

I remember the movie, I watched it when I was little; I remember thinking it was cool back then lol.
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; June 22nd, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    popping in again I watched the 4th?ep(Magic Bullet) last night(I'm buying the eps off iTunes since I refuse to sit through MTV commercials lol , and its just easier for me).

I like Derek. I thought Derek and Stiles were great in this last ep. I loved their scenes in the car and at the vet, those were my favorite parts of the episode.

I remember the movie, I watched it when I was little; I remember thinking it was cool back then lol.
    Yay! Glad you're liking it! Yeah, I liked Derek and Stiles' interactions in the last episode. I thought his face was classic when he was going to
    Spoiler:
    saw off Derek's arm.

Chief Master Sergeant

Pretty sure Kate called him Chris (Argent's first name). but maybe i heard wrong.

January - San Francisco - Supernatural
    April - Vancouver - Stargate
    June - Nashville - Supernatural
    August - Boston - Supernatural
    August - Chicago - Stargate
    September - Chicago - Star Trek
    October - Chicago - Supernatural
    November - LA - Stargate/Farscape/Eureka-W13-Sanctuary

Coventions in 2012
    March - Burbank - Supernatural
    April - Vancouver - Stargate
    June - Nashville - Supernatural

Con reports at : http://adventurecon.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hollie54208 View Post
    Pretty sure Kate called him Chris (Argent's first name). but maybe i heard wrong.
    Its possible, but I did watch the episode twice and don't remember hearing that. Maybe a 3rd viewing is necessary!

hollie is correct. Just before he went in for supper, Kate berated Argent, calling him Chris. Then he asked if Scott ate meat, and blablabla. I was just rewatching. She said it in an offhand manner because they're family, so it was easy to miss.

hollie is correct. Just before he went in for supper, Kate berated Argent, calling him Chris. Then he asked if Scott ate meat, and blablabla. I was just rewatching. She said it in an offhand manner because they're family, so it was easy to miss.
    See...its typical that his name is Chris because Chrises are evil! Everyone I've dated named Chris has been a douche.

Captain

I've been watching and enjoying this series so far. I try out every new genre series, and I have to admit this one surprised me. It's far better than I expected.

I am not fond of the teen drama, but the backstory on the werewolves and the hunters is holding my interest.

Vampires have held the spotlight for far too long. It's about time werewolves got a chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendikarr View Post
    I've been watching and enjoying this series so far. I try out every new genre series, and I have to admit this one surprised me. It's far better than I expected.

I am not fond of the teen drama, but the backstory on the werewolves and the hunters is holding my interest.

Vampires have held the spotlight for far too long. It's about time werewolves got a chance to shine.
    Glad you're liking it. I do think, however, the the "teen drama" in this series is minimal compared to something like Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Yay! Glad you're liking it! Yeah, I liked Derek and Stiles' interactions in the last episode. I thought his face was classic when he was going to
    Spoiler:
    saw off Derek's arm.
    That was great
    Spoiler:
    and before that when Stiles was telling Derek that he looked fine, and that it was nothing that a little echinacea wouldn't cure(or something like that). I really liked the scenes in the car too, I found them pretty funny.
    Derek : Start the car.
    Stiles: I'm not afraid of you.
    Derek: Start the car, or I'll rip your throat out with my teeth.

I lol'd at that, I thought the delivery was great.

Glad you're liking it. I do think, however, the the "teen drama" in this series is minimal compared to something like Twilight.
    The "teen drama" really isn't bad in this. It's not sickening(to me) like it was in twilight. No one's had any screeching/sobbing spasm attacks while in bed, or tried to kill themselves in order to get closer to the one they love and can't live without.

That was great
    Spoiler:
    and before that when Stiles was telling Derek that he looked fine, and that it was nothing that a little echinacea wouldn't cure(or something like that). I really liked the scenes in the car too, I found them pretty funny.
    Derek : Start the car.
    Stiles: I'm not afraid of you.
    Derek: Start the car, or I'll rip your throat out with my teeth.

I lol'd at that, I thought the delivery was great.
    Oh I know...the whole exchange with Stiles and Derek was awesome!

The "teen drama" really isn't bad in this. It's not sickening(to me) like it was in twilight. No one's had any screeching/sobbing spasm attacks while in bed, or tried to kill themselves in order to get closer to the one they love and can't live without.
    Oh I agree 110%. I think when you have a show about teenagers there is bound to be some teen drama. But Teen Wolf is by no means over the top.

Another great episode.

Spoiler:
    Scott and Allison taking off like that was totally uncool. And the actual mountain lion at the end was a total throw away, to fool us until we saw it.

At Much Music, the producer Lauren Toyota has been tweeting for the past hour in btw commercials and she thinks it could be the vet. I think that, given the "hints" in this ep. it could be the vet, the teacher, Argent, or some other guy.

And why didn't Jackson get attacked? I mean more than he was. He had video stands toppled on him and 3 claw marks on his neck, plus he didn't see anything due to being on his stomach. Why was he a target at all?

All very strange. Definitely looking forward to next week.

Another great episode.

Spoiler:
    Scott and Allison taking off like that was totally uncool. And the actual mountain lion at the end was a total throw away, to fool us until we saw it.

At Much Music, the producer Lauren Toyota has been tweeting for the past hour in btw commercials and she thinks it could be the vet. I think that, given the "hints" in this ep. it could be the vet, the teacher, Argent, or some other guy.

And why didn't Jackson get attacked? I mean more than he was. He had video stands toppled on him and 3 claw marks on his neck, plus he didn't see anything due to being on his stomach. Why was he a target at all?

All very strange. Definitely looking forward to next week.
    I agree...another excellent episode...

Spoiler:
    While I don't think that it was "uncool" for Scott and Allison to wander off...I enjoyed watching their relationship develop. Like you, I was wondering why the Alpha only scratched Jackson's neck. I wonder if the Alpha could be Jackson's father...as we just found out tonight that his parents adopted him.

I have my sights set on the vet or the teacher as the possible alpha. IDK why, but I don't think Argent is.

I think the cougar (aka mountain lion) was more to appease the towns' people opposed to appeasing us (the viewers).

I agree...another excellent episode...

Spoiler:
    While I don't think that it was "uncool" for Scott and Allison to wander off...I enjoyed watching their relationship develop. Like you, I was wondering why the Alpha only scratched Jackson's neck. I wonder if the Alpha could be Jackson's father...as we just found out tonight that his parents adopted him.

I have my sights set on the vet or the teacher as the possible alpha. IDK why, but I don't think Argent is.

I think the cougar (aka mountain lion) was more to appease the towns' people opposed to appeasing us (the viewers).
    -pops in- Sorry for not being active on here. Been busy. Anywho, I did enjoy the episode. Though, I'm a bit confused on something. Didn't Scott claw Jackson's neck while he was in wolf form a few episodes ago (I could be wrong)?

Spoiler:
    If that's the case, then Jackson was "marked" by Scott for a kill. That's why the alpha didn't kill Jackson right away, as he knew that it was Scott's future kill, even if Scott didn't know.

I also think that the vet could be the alpha. He did act strange when Stiles' father showed him the pictures. Either him or Scott's father (who's gone), or Jackson's biological father.
    <a href=http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/rayc5678/GateworldBleachSignature2.jpg target=_blank>http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...Signature2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by RoK View Post
    -pops in- Sorry for not being active on here. Been busy. Anywho, I did enjoy the episode. Though, I'm a bit confused on something. Didn't Scott claw Jackson's neck while he was in wolf form a few episodes ago (I could be wrong)?

Spoiler:
    If that's the case, then Jackson was "marked" by Scott for a kill. That's why the alpha didn't kill Jackson right away, as he knew that it was Scott's future kill, even if Scott didn't know.

I also think that the vet could be the alpha. He did act strange when Stiles' father showed him the pictures. Either him or Scott's father (who's gone), or Jackson's biological father.
    Derek is the one who clawed Jackson's neck when he was looking for Scott. But Jackson was being a butt and wouldn't tell Derek where he was.