X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU and social media..

I was sad to see SG1 end.
    SGA, not so much.

SGU, however out of all of them bothers me the most, I was wondering if others had the same sort of thoughts.

SG1/SGA were more action based and while there were "character" episodes on the whole thats not what the driver for the show was..

With SGU it was more character based and with a few of the cast being on twitter and the likes I find myself more drawn into the characters on a whole but I dont know if it was down to it being written better or the fact that they were approachable people that you could contact..

Originally posted by Trig View Post
    I was sad to see SG1 end.
    SGA, not so much.

SGU, however out of all of them bothers me the most, I was wondering if others had the same sort of thoughts.

SG1/SGA were more action based and while there were "character" episodes on the whole thats not what the driver for the show was..

With SGU it was more character based and with a few of the cast being on twitter and the likes I find myself more drawn into the characters on a whole but I dont know if it was down to it being written better or the fact that they were approachable people that you could contact..
    I have a slightly different opinion of SGU...at first I equated it to BSG-lite (and I appall BSG). But the show did grow on me. I doubt that the stars being on twitter had anything to do with the series being cancelled.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      I doubt that the stars being on twitter had anything to do with the series being cancelled.
      I think the OP was just saying, that for him/her, the stars being accessible made him/her more drawn to the characters.

In answer to the question, not for me - since I'm a Luddite who doesn't really use social media, it didn't have an effect on me.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
        I think the OP was just saying, that for him/her, the stars being accessible made him/her more drawn to the characters.

In answer to the question, not for me - since I'm a Luddite who doesn't really use social media, it didn't have an effect on me.
        A luddite who uses a computer? Intriguing...
        sigpic

Comment

A luddite who uses a computer? Intriguing...
          A wooden computer, with the power generated by hamsters running on a small wheel . . .

Ok, maybe not a luddite, because I'm a scientist, but I'm far too old and grumpy to learn to Twitter and such. That's for the young people.

Hey, are those kids on my lawn????!!!
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

A wooden computer, with the power generated by hamsters running on a small wheel . . .

Ok, maybe not a luddite, because I'm a scientist, but I'm far too old and grumpy to learn to Twitter and such. That's for the young people.

sigpic

Comment

Not just to the characters, SGU was written differently so the characters were more important than say SG1/SGA, to the people themselves, like you'd go to a resteraunt/whatever where a friend worked because they worked there even if it was out of your way kinda thing, know what I mean?

Comment

It was definitely fun to be able to interact with actors so directly via Twitter. Even if they didn't exactly respond to everyone's tweets. I grew to love the characters, and the same happened with actors. That's why it was so sad to see them say their final thoughts to the fans in the Innerspace special. I feel more connected to them than ever did with, say SGA cast. Or actually any other tv show.

Not sure if that's what the OP meant, but that's the answer I've got.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                  Not just to the characters, SGU was written differently so the characters were more important than say SG1/SGA, to the people themselves, like you'd go to a resteraunt/whatever where a friend worked because they worked there even if it was out of your way kinda thing, know what I mean?
                  I didn't feel any closer to these characters even though I was following them on twitter and such.
                  Last edited by LtColCarter; 20 May 2011, 06:42 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                    It was definitely fun to be able to interact with actors so directly via Twitter. Even if they didn't exactly respond to everyone's tweets. I grew to love the characters, and the same happened with actors. That's why it was so sad to see them say their final thoughts to the fans in the Innerspace special. I feel more connected to them than ever did with, say SGA cast. Or actually any other tv show.

Not sure if that's what the OP meant, but that's the answer I've got.

Yes, thats what I meant, glad someone actually understood, if only one person lol...

Comment

Hey Carmen, I'm with you, wooden computer and all! No hamsters though, just some mangy old goats out in the barn on a treadmill, highly unreliable, by the way. And I'm a retired scientist, not that old really, put out to pasture much too young because of health reasons. The pathetic part is here I have 2 science degrees and I'm still trying to figure out my new facebook page! What really gets me is the kid next to me in my yoga class is texting through most of the class, while I'm grunting and groaning away! Damn kid probably walks on people's lawns, too!
                      sigpic

Comment

While I didn't really follow much of what the cast was doing on the social media side of things, (Twitter especially...I despise of that pointless fad) I did however find that the internet as a whole...including those social media elements, various interviews both text and video, JM's blog, as well as just small little things like the KINO episodes on the web made for an idea of higher accessibility towards the cast and thus the characters.
                        Perhaps it's because I haven't gotten into a show like I have with SGU when the internet has been what it is now. But I do quite enjoy...and despise for this next part, the fact that you can get so attached in this world. It's really nice to see the cast and crew down on the same level as the fans, giving us that respect and being just genuinely happy to be doing the show and enjoying the company of the fans. That to me, made it.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by dacooker
                        The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

it would not attach the photo of browdy with the stailn stash......
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X