Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iris code is sent before wormhole opens?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iris code is sent before wormhole opens?

Sometimes the chevron guy already says 'It's SG-1's iris code, sir!', while the incoming wormhole hasn't been established yet. Do they have subspace radio or something like that, or is it just a production error?
    Last edited by Jack Bauer; 26 January 2005, 01:11 PM.

A couple times (like in Season 1 and such) he said it before the wormhole was established... that was probably a mistake.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

production error - they have no other way to transmit over such a vast distance or the chevron guy has a 6th sense
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
        production error - they have no other way to transmit over such a vast distance or the chevron guy has a 6th sense
        Well he is Walter and kinda did the Radar parody in Season 8 so it is possible

Comment

Walter can do anything I guess it was because the gate is a prop and doesn't really activate. It's the fault of the people in charge of FX. They're not keeping up with Walter!
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
            Walter can do anything I guess it was because the gate is a prop and doesn't really activate. It's the fault of the people in charge of FX. They're not keeping up with Walter!
            lets all rally around walter
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

If it was just a production error, you'd think they learn how to do it the right way after a few times. But it was not only in season 1 that this happened. Let's just blame it on Walter's super powers then. That guy really deserves more credit

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer
                Sometimes the chevron guy already says 'It's SG-1's iris code, sir!', while the incoming wormhole hasn't been established yet. Do they have subspace radio or something like that, or is it just a production error?
                'It's SG-1's iris code, sir!' That's one of Chevron Guy's #2 favorite line (#1 being "Chevron 7 is locked!"). He likes saying it so much, he can't wait for the wormhole to establish!

Actually, it's most likely an oversight on the part of the producers. To be honest, I never noticed it until you mentioned it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii
                  Well he is Walter and kinda did the Radar parody in Season 8 so it is possible
                  I think the couple of times that Walter said that, he was looking to see who's time it was to be reporting in. That or he might have realized that SG-1 was the only team currently off-world, so he just made an assertive guess and got lucky.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

It seems Walter isn't the only one with magical abilities! I first noticed this mistake in "Bane" (the episode in which Teal'c is stung by a bug and starts to metamorphosize) when there was a woman technician controlling the Stargate. If you want to see it, it's at the part when SG-1 (minus Teal'c) returns from the Bug Planet and one of the bugs comes through before the iris is closed. After seeing this (and getting the first few seasons on DVD), I noticed it happens a lot!

BTW, @Jack Bauer, your signature is one of the funniest I've seen in a long time! Did you make it yourself?

Comment

I noticed that too! I retconed that sometimes after sending the iris code there was a bug in the protocol that accidently let the gate close. (i.e. "Something has to go through the wormhole to keep it open.") So it had to be redialed in those instances.

Comment

there was afew timesd i cant remember them all but one of them was a big mistake in tok'ra part 2

on earth the iris is closed but on the wall behind it we see the bright blue that we see when a wormhole is active and the iris is closed then we go to the planet and we see sam and jacob running for the gate they activate the gate send the iris code are on earth then we see the wormhole has been active since before it was and walter says there sg-1 iris code

there are more of these but they are mostly in the first few sesons lots of mistakes in the show like the numerous times where there is an incomming wormhole and they dont close the iris ohwell they are mostly in the first few sesons that mistakes were made
                        if you immediatly know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago: oma desala stargate sg-1

Comment

Actually, having the ability to send the code before the wormhole actually opens makes more sense, which would explain why sometimes they don't bother to close the iris at all and how some of the more complicated functions (like the correlative update) work. The gates make a subspace connection, so it is possible that if one has already activated the GDO then the signal might be sent before the wormhole actually opens on the other side.

It's also good for safety purposes. We sometimes see the chevrons on other planets light up when there's an incoming, so it's possible that when you lock in chevrons it sends a signal to the other gate to let people know a wormhole is on the way and it's time to get out of the way of the splash.

Comment

Well - being honest it's probably a mistake that has been repeated often. However, all the teams have scheduled return times so if the time and the incoming wormhole match up it is possible that walter would tell us that's it's SG1 (or more correctly, he's assuming that it's SG1 and hammond knows what he mean). That's the only way I can see this from not being a huge and messy mistake (and its a very long-winded idea at that), so i'd guess that it is a mistake.
                            "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                              Lately I'm beginning to think he does have a 6th sense. Are TPTB trying to make another "Radar" O'Reilly out of him? They do both have the same first names...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                              X