One last recharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One last recharge

Why couldn't Destiny ftl to a nearby star without drones to recharge before doing the huge ftl travel to the other galaxy? The drones can't cover every single star in the galaxy, and since they do know where the command ships are, it should be a pretty safe course of action.

Actually you can see that the command ships only cover systems with gates when they show where the command ships are, so there are nearby stars without command ships. And not a blue giant, they can pick something a bit less drastic.

This little nuisance is my only complain about this episode though, I really loved it

Too bad this is it for now.

Originally posted by rolfbjarne View Post
    Why couldn't Destiny ftl to a nearby star without drones to recharge before doing the huge ftl travel to the other galaxy? The drones can't cover every single star in the galaxy, and since they do know where the command ships are, it should be a pretty safe course of action.

Actually you can see that the command ships only cover systems with gates when they show where the command ships are, so there are nearby stars without command ships. And not a blue giant, they can pick something a bit less drastic.

This little nuisance is my only complain about this episode though, I really loved it

Rush stated they wouldn't be able to pull that stunt again.

Comment

problem is, they HAD to pick something drastic. otherwise, command ships could potentially predict variables.

they didn't seem to have a map of command ships that i noticed - they got ambushed the first time, and had to move in carefully after that. they did state that the command ships could be blocking a lot of stars. also, they don't seem to have a map of the gate network as they can only pick up local gates at any given time - last map i remember was the crashed alien ship, on the planet rush was dumped on that time.
      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
        they didn't seem to have a map of command ships that i noticed
        Seriously, did you watch the episode? They showed the locations of all the command ships ¬¬

Comment

Originally posted by Vargarv View Post
          Seriously, did you watch the episode? They showed the locations of all the command ships ¬¬
          gauntlet? no not yet actually. some reason i thought this was in blockade section, only just realised now that it's not. ahh well.
          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by rolfbjarne View Post

I guess they had enough command ships to cover both planets with gates on them and stars that Destiny can refuel from... I find that hard to believe considering the sheer amount of stars that there are in a galaxy, but I digress.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Rush explained this to Telford.
              There is no information outside of the seed ship corridor and it could take years to find appropriate stars/planets without the forwarded information.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
                Rush explained this to Telford.
                There is no information outside of the seed ship corridor and it could take years to find appropriate stars/planets without the forwarded information.
                Planets, yes - planets that are likely to support edible life are probably very, very rare.

However, "Blockade" established that Destiny can, in principle, refuel from almost any star - they picked an O-class star that happened to be nearby. They didn't have to go hunting around for O-class stars that also had properties that made it useable as fuel source.

However, the vast majority of stars are the ones that Destiny seems to prefer - cool, low mass stars. In "Blockade," they note that Destiny refuels mainly from M and K class stars, which together make up about 88.5% of all main sequence stars.

Thus, Destiny shouldn't have any trouble finding a useable star not being blockaded now that they can track the command ships.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  Planets, yes - planets that are likely to support edible life are probably very, very rare.

However, "Blockade" established that Destiny can, in principle, refuel from almost any star - they picked an O-class star that happened to be nearby. They didn't have to go hunting around for O-class stars that also had properties that made it useable as fuel source.

However, the vast majority of stars are the ones that Destiny seems to prefer - cool, low mass stars. In "Blockade," they note that Destiny refuels mainly from M and K class stars, which together make up about 88.5% of all main sequence stars.

Thus, Destiny shouldn't have any trouble finding a useable star not being blockaded now that they can track the command ships.
                  fair enough

They could have used their shuttle trick to recharge in a sun, imo woulda been a better pick.

And.... why the heck would you mine a mineral, 'preferably on a planet with a lot of meteorite activity'
                  Why not goto the asteroid belt it self and mine from there.....

Comment

It's a lot harder to mine from an asteroid belt. Those things are much bigger and moving. It would be even harder to get the needed supplies. Meteors have been stripped down from reentry, so the needed materials would be exposed and easier to collect.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                      It's a lot harder to mine from an asteroid belt. Those things are much bigger and moving. It would be even harder to get the needed supplies. Meteors have been stripped down from reentry, so the needed materials would be exposed and easier to collect.
                      I dunno bout that, see any big boulders of meteors on the moon?
                      Not like they are landing on a pillow, meteors get buried/pulverized...
                      Asteroids in a belt would move pretty predictably, pick one up in the back of a shuttle?
                      Not all asteroids are big... And destiny has sensors that could prob find the right signature to know ones to pick up.
                      Asteroids in a belt are not close to one another, they are hundreds if not thousands of miles apart.

Comment

I dunno bout that, see any big boulders of meteors on the moon?
                        Not like they are landing on a pillow, meteors get buried/pulverized...
                        Asteroids in a belt would move pretty predictably, pick one up in the back of a shuttle?
                        Not all asteroids are big... And destiny has sensors that could prob find the right signature to know ones to pick up.
                        Asteroids in a belt are not close to one another, they are hundreds if not thousands of miles apart.
                        Closeness isn't an issue. Size and composition is. In order to get a large supply, enough to repair the pods at any rate, they needed enough to fill an entire Kino sled. Now, they go to a planet to do this, they can just grab the right rocks and go. They go to asteroids, they have to find ones small enough to fit in the back, find ones of that type that have the necessary materials, find enough of those ones to meet their quote, break them all apart to get it, and then finally do whatever refinement process is necessary to make working parts out of it. All that in the limited time allowed not to ruin their stasis plan.

Comment

One last recharge could have been possible. The command ship was destroyed. They could have sync'd the inactive drones back up like how they played the role of the mama ship when they first encountered them.

Kamikaze runs will only benefit Destiny. All they need is to get close to the star, recharge, send subspace updates to drones to kill off command ship, FTL then say byebye.

Question becomes, how many drones were floating around and not attached to the original command ship ... hopefully enough to allow this possibility to work.. but it wasn't mentioned.

Comment

fair enough

They could have used their shuttle trick to recharge in a sun, imo woulda been a better pick.

And.... why the heck would you mine a mineral, 'preferably on a planet with a lot of meteorite activity'
                            Why not goto the asteroid belt it self and mine from there.....
                            Cause its easier to mine when its planet side, than in an asteroid belt.

Question becomes, how many drones were floating around and not attached to the original command ship ... hopefully enough to allow this possibility to work.. but it wasn't mentioned.
                            I doubt they could have taken them over WHEN another command ship got into range.

Comment

My question is: would one last recharge have any gain?

Wasn't it just last episode that the Destiny refueled? Inside an O class star which produced much more power than the normal recharging stars. Now we don't know exactly how much time passed between episodes, but it couldn't be too long.

I think the Destiny was pretty much topped up on power, and even with all that power would only go so far as they could. Going into another Star now wouldn't give them more power, they would need the power halfway or beyond in the FTL travel, which of course they can't do.

Comment

Working...
                              X