This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hatred towards Syfy and among other things

After having a night from hell with dealing with people bashing the network and calling their employees so many names in the books I had to stress this to one of the biggest Stargate fansites. A lot of folks blame Syfy for SGU's cancellation, but pointing that finger might be pointed at the fans or viewers who gave up on the show. Granted, a day change was made but the damage had already been done when SGU only averaged 1.4 Million viewers in Season 1.5, even that was not enough to get the show renewed. It had fallen below it's prior series SGA and was more expensive to produce. Syfy made the change to help the show. For people to think Syfy wanted SGU to fail really don't know how the TV industry works. Syfy did not even have to give SG-1,SGA, or SGU a greenlight. Stargate would of ended after Season 5 on showtime if Syfy/Sci-Fi did not take interest.

Getting to the whole Wrestling thing that Darren brought up. Excellent article btw. I look at when ECW was around and getting the top numbers. That was until a scripted drama series called Eureka came into the picture, by SGA's 5th season SGA was doing better than Wrestling most weeks. Syfy uses wrestling to get a younger crowd attracted to the network. A lot of these drama series need a younger age demo. This summer there will be 4 drama series running, and I think all 4 of them will be pulling in promising numbers. I think as per "space" shows go, people have lost their imagination, and only care about reality shows like Jersey shore and American Idol. However, shows like Fringe have proven that there still is a strong audience that want to watch the show that is out of the reality spectrum. There is hope, I don't think Wrestling on Syfy is going to destroy Science Fiction but maybe attract the younger generation to it.

I think the only blame should go to the show itself, maybe it was not everyone's cup of tea, maybe it was too serial and not casual viewer friendly enough. I think the blaming Syfy excuse is petty and people need to look at the bigger picture of things. But in the end I don't really blame anyone or anything, such is life, and it is what it is. Everything is bounded by it's own fate. Maybe it is a good thing Stargate is going away for now, the fandom is way too divided and although people think the internet is a small portion, I think it has an even bigger impact than people think. The internet has become a powerful tune in almost everyone's life.

So again, blaming Syfy for killing SGU is just far-fetched because the network is not in the business to air failed shows. They are not in the business to lose money, and will do everything they can to keep the shows from going under.
    sigpic

I don't think "hatred" is the appropriate response.

Canceling SGU was a business decision.

Choosing to no longer watch Syfy can be a consumer decision, in the same way as choosing to no longer patronize a restaurant or store that no longer values you as a customer.

As a fan of certain types of entertainment, and as someone who doesn't like other types of entertainment, I have nothing left to watch on Syfy, and I won't be their "customer" any longer. Other people will be.

It isn't personal. It's just business.
    sigpic
    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Its a common reaction sadly. A show is cancelled and the fans always yell at the network
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Its a common reaction sadly. A show is cancelled and the fans always yell at the network
        Sad but true. I look at it as an opportunity anytime a show is greenlighted or renewed, after that it is the show that will carry on it's own fate.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          So again, blaming Syfy for killing SGU is just far-fetched because the network is not in the business to air failed shows. They are not in the business to lose money, and will do everything they can to keep the shows from going under.
          Brian, I respect your desire to defend your employers, but that last line is a tad too much. They, like any other business, will allocate a certain amount of time/money to avoid having something dead hanging around their neck, but if it doesn't work they will simply cut their losses. To imply that Syfy did "everything they [could]" to save SGU is misleading at best.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
            Brian, I respect your desire to defend your employers, but that last line is a tad too much. They, like any other business, will allocate a certain amount of time/money to avoid having something dead hanging around their neck, but if it doesn't work they will simply cut their losses. To imply that Syfy did "everything they [could]" to save SGU is misleading at best.
            Well then they did everything they could with the resources they had, sure they could of renewed the show and risk losing more money in the hope that the show rebounded. But would you invest into something that was not making money?
            sigpic

Comment

Totally. No one really to blame but ourselves (and others) for giving up on the show. Honestly... did you think If you just left SGU it would be eventually cancelled and replaced with something you really wanted, like another movie?

Personally I don't think SyFy did enuff to keep it. Brad Wright said he tried but eventually failed (which he predicted would happen) a mutual decision? Which party finally, truly said "fine, its not worth it anymore, SGU and SG itself is done, lets just call it"? I understand the cancellation, but the shelving of the entire franchise? No more one last "Hoo rah!" and a chance to rake in some $$$ for MGM and crew with a final movie of some sort? Who really threw in the towel?

As 4 ECW... I thought it fell as a company since the WWE was not only dominating in the rating war it had just taken over WCW and was POACHING talent from BOTH companies (McMahon has done this for years and years). I didn't read article... but ECW tanked because another company bought out their talent first despite ECW still having a very, very loyal fan base.
              They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Comment

Spoiler:
                After having a night from hell with dealing with people bashing the network and calling their employees so many names in the books I had to stress this to one of the biggest Stargate fansites. A lot of folks blame Syfy for SGU's cancellation, but pointing that finger might be pointed at the fans or viewers who gave up on the show. Granted, a day change was made but the damage had already been done when SGU only averaged 1.4 Million viewers in Season 1.5, even that was not enough to get the show renewed. It had fallen below it's prior series SGA and was more expensive to produce. Syfy made the change to help the show. For people to think Syfy wanted SGU to fail really don't know how the TV industry works. Syfy did not even have to give SG-1,SGA, or SGU a greenlight. Stargate would of ended after Season 5 on showtime if Syfy/Sci-Fi did not take interest.

Getting to the whole Wrestling thing that Darren brought up. Excellent article btw. I look at when ECW was around and getting the top numbers. That was until a scripted drama series called Eureka came into the picture, by SGA's 5th season SGA was doing better than Wrestling most weeks. Syfy uses wrestling to get a younger crowd attracted to the network. A lot of these drama series need a younger age demo. This summer there will be 4 drama series running, and I think all 4 of them will be pulling in promising numbers. I think as per "space" shows go, people have lost their imagination, and only care about reality shows like Jersey shore and American Idol. However, shows like Fringe have proven that there still is a strong audience that want to watch the show that is out of the reality spectrum. There is hope, I don't think Wrestling on Syfy is going to destroy Science Fiction but maybe attract the younger generation to it.

I think the only blame should go to the show itself, maybe it was not everyone's cup of tea, maybe it was too serial and not casual viewer friendly enough. I think the blaming Syfy excuse is petty and people need to look at the bigger picture of things. But in the end I don't really blame anyone or anything, such is life, and it is what it is. Everything is bounded by it's own fate. Maybe it is a good thing Stargate is going away for now, the fandom is way too divided and although people think the internet is a small portion, I think it has an even bigger impact than people think. The internet has become a powerful tune in almost everyone's life.

Hear, hear.

sadly, many people feel they are entitled to more because they're 'fans' and that gives them 'rights.' ahh well.
                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Do you have any numbers showing how many viewers that watch Wrastlin stay to watch the next show. How about numbers that show how many people that watch Wrastlin come back to the channel on other nights? Those younger demographics probably only stay on the channel when Wrastlin is on.

Any explanation for Sanctuary's dive in the ratings since it changed days? If Sanctary stays on Mondays and gets canceled due to the lower numbers is SyFy not partially to blame for that failure?

My disdain for SyFy started when they bailed on a promised 5th season of Farscape and wouldn't help fund the miniseries to finish off the cliffhanger. They simply lowballed Henson company, after it was filmed, when bidding on the airing rights.

SyFy is pretty poor at building customer loyalty in my opinion.

It's hard not to take your defense of SyFy without a grain of salt seeing as you publicly advertise yourself as their employee.
                  Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Brian,

Syfy sucks. They cancel good spec fiction television to show crap like wrestleing "Crossing over with John Edward" and "Ghost Hunters". Syfy sucks.

(and don't forget quality movies like "Mega-Piranha". Well done.)
                    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I feel for ya Brian! I saw a little of the craziness over there last night, people who never bothered to sign on and show support for the series while it was on are now lambasting the network and declaring their undying love for the series. A bit too little, too late, unfortunately for SG fans.
                      sigpic

Comment

For me Briangate SGU is the straw that broke the camel’s back. It was shoddily treated and not given enough support. Nevertheless it was undeniably doing very badly in the ratings. However I look back, at stuff like Farscape and SG1 that got canned while Wrestling and Ghost Hunters replace them and I see a network that is in a continual search for the lowest common dominator, which struggles to decide what audience it actually wants and seems to have no faith in many of the shows it produces.

In the end, I don’t live in the U.S, so I can’t change ratings for shows anyway, but if I did I wouldn’t watch Syfy anymore. Not out of hatred, but because they no longer produce anything I, as a fan of high quality dramatic tv, am interested in. SGU might have many other factors that caused its failure, but bluntly, it was the last decent thing to come out of your channel. I think many people would be less angry if you had many other high quality shows that replace SGU, but you don’t. They have wrestling, abominably bad movies, reality tv and the odd light hearted adventure show (some of which like Sanctuary also seem to be veering close to cancelation). I think you are seeing more than ever that people aren’t dissatisfied with Syfy over SGU, they’re dissatisfied with the whole channel.

When you compare Syfy to HBO and AMC it gets even worse. They look, in comparison, like a bunch of incompetent amateurs.
                        Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 10 May 2011, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Meh. It's nobody's "fault" in my book simply because it's not a situation that can be reversed or rectified, so why bother placing blame when doing so won't get anything back? If we knew the fault and could reverse it to get SGU back, I'm sure we would, but that's just wishful thinking by this point.

I think a lot of people who blame networks can, and will, do so, because the networks are the people who cancelled the show. The network shot the show dead - it doesn't matter if the show was a child murderer or had monetary value any longer, they still shot the show dead, and that's enough for some people.

Oh, and I mean, come on, wrestling. Darren's article covered that cock-up perfectly, and it does sorta place SyFy in more of a blame spot than most other networks cancelling stuff.
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
                            Do you have any numbers showing how many viewers that watch Wrastlin stay to watch the next show. How about numbers that show how many people that watch Wrastlin come back to the channel on other nights? Those younger demographics probably only stay on the channel when Wrastlin is on.

Any explanation for Sanctuary's dive in the ratings since it changed days? If Sanctary stays on Mondays and gets canceled due to the lower numbers is SyFy not partially to blame for that failure?

My disdain for SyFy started when they bailed on a promised 5th season of Farscape and wouldn't help fund the miniseries to finish off the cliffhanger. They simply lowballed Henson company, after it was filmed, when bidding on the airing rights.

SyFy is pretty poor at building customer loyalty in my opinion.

It's hard not to take your defense of SyFy without a grain of salt seeing as you publicly advertise yourself as an employee.
                            I am not an employee of Syfy. Never said I was. I do volunteer work for them and they treat me with the respect that if I was an employee. Plus, the perks are really cool, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                              Meh. It's nobody's "fault" in my book simply because it's not a situation that can be reversed or rectified, so why bother placing blame when doing so won't get anything back. If we knew the fault and could reverse it to get SGU back, I'm sure we would, but that's just wishful thinking by this point.

I think a lot of people who blame networks can, and will, do so, because the networks are the people who cancelled the show. The man shot the show dead - it doesn't matter if the show was a child murderer or had monetary value any longer, he still shot the show dead, and that's enough for some people.

Who Shot the show dead!? TELL ME HIS NAME!!!
                              They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Comment

Working...
                              X