The GateWorld Cantina MKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    A RAID array is a lot more stable and recoverable than your standard HDD or external HDD (trust me, lost terabytes of data on damaged eternal drives)
    You will RARELY see me say this, but Annoyed has a far superior idea than what you are suggesting.
    6TB internal HD are not even that pricy these days, computer prices drop so rapidly its not even funny these days.
    What will cost you more is setting up the array if you don't know how to do it yourself.
    And it's not all that difficult to learn. The real hard part is backing up what you have already stored while you futz around setting it up. Pretty much have to buy an external drive big enough to hold your existing data. Cloud backup is not practical when dealing with that much data. Let alone the trust issue.

Comment

A RAID array is a lot more stable and recoverable than your standard HDD or external HDD (trust me, lost terabytes of data on damaged eternal drives)
      You will RARELY see me say this, but Annoyed has a far superior idea than what you are suggesting.
      6TB internal HD are not even that pricy these days, computer prices drop so rapidly its not even funny these days.
      What will cost you more is setting up the array if you don't know how to do it yourself.
      well the kind of solid state storage I buy for this project isn't the same cheap kind used in thumb-drives and the eMMC's they're using as boot media in the least expensive laptops....those can degrade

but in the solid state drive's I've been buying the memory used is far more robust and has better data buffering and internal file recovery ability than cheap thumbdrives and eMMC's

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        well the kind of solid state storage I buy for this project isn't the same cheap kind used in thumb-drives and the eMMC's they're using as boot media in the least expensive laptops....those can degrade

but in the solid state drive's I've been buying the memory used is far more robust and has better data buffering and internal file recovery ability than cheap thumbdrives and eMMC's
        Still not gonna match a RAID array in terms of reliability. Hard drives do fail. In a RAID 1 array, you connect 2 drives, and your data is mirrored on both. If one fails, you still have everything intact on the other one. Redundancy.

You might have a point in using SSD's, as there are no mechanical components. But they are limited in how many times a cell can be written to, so there is a wear factor there, too.

Comment

I'm absorbing all this tech info.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Still not gonna match a RAID array in terms of reliability. Hard drives do fail. In a RAID 1 array, you connect 2 drives, and your data is mirrored on both. If one fails, you still have everything intact on the other one. Redundancy.

You might have a point in using SSD's, as there are no mechanical components. But they are limited in how many times a cell can be written to, so there is a wear factor there, too.
            Again, as much as I disagree with Annoyed on several levels MG, he knows what he is talking about here.
            Now, excuse me while I shoot him.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Again, as much as I disagree with Annoyed on several levels MG, he knows what he is talking about here.
              Oh I don't doubt that he knows what he's talking about. If I had the money and know-how to buy all the equipment necessary to set up a server with such a RAID array I'd likely be taking the same approach. But alas, my adeptness with computers is mostly from a user standpoint. I have no expertise in building one from scratch or programming capability. So I'm doing the best I can with what I got for this project.

Comment

Pfft! You couldn't hit the broad side of a Battlestar. Or was that a Death Star?

Comment

Pfft! You couldn't hit the broad side of a Battlestar. Or was that a Death Star?
                  spheres don't have sides.....broad or otherwise LOL

Comment

This would call for some hypocrisy bacon as the reduced motor functions that come with old age say Annoyed would have problems shooting
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

You're still restricted to crock pot bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        I'm absorbing all this tech info.
                        Explains why you look like a sponge

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

And you could not be any less conscious than a passed out drunk.

My personal disputes with you are not a factor here, you gave good advice, why would I argue against that?
                          I argue with lots of people here, but not when they give good advice, make of that what you will.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Oh I don't doubt that he knows what he's talking about. If I had the money and know-how to buy all the equipment necessary to set up a server with such a RAID array I'd likely be taking the same approach. But alas, my adeptness with computers is mostly from a user standpoint. I have no expertise in building one from scratch or programming capability. So I'm doing the best I can with what I got for this project.
                            You don't have to break the bank for this. Depending upon how badly your cable/sat. provider rapes you for DVR capability (with a pitifully small capacity), this can pay for itself in a year.

The case for the server is one I had around collecting dust.
                            Motherboard is an Asus, chips is an intel i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
                            Memory is 8 G.
                            Has a 2nd network card added to it, & 4-tuner TV tuner card (https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_quadhd.html)
                            No audio card, only vid. card is the one in the motherboard. It doesn't need sound, and doesn't have a GUI installed anyway.
                            It lives in the basement scaring the spiders.

That hardware is about 6 years old. Has been running as a head end machine for my home network. Acts as a very flexible yet effective firewall, as well as services to the inside network. I do my own DNS, as well as a file sharing server. It also manages the wireless access point.

TV antenna in the attic has a coax going to a splitter in the basement, one branch of which goes to the tuner card in this PC.

This machine has Plex server software on it so it's a media server & controls DVR functions. Distribution to the TV's in the house is via Ethernet.

Motherboard has 6 SATA ports on it. I've got a very small drive in one of them, this contains the operating system (Ubuntu Linux 18.04 server version)
                            The rest of it can be filled with various capacity hard drives. And can be changed or added to relatively easily.

So that six year old hardware is rather busy, yet I've yet to see it using more than 6 of the 8 G RAM and 30% or so CPU usage. And that was while it was recording 4 different channels and watching a recording; as heavy a load as I could put on it.

You don't need high end hardware to do this. So you don't need to spend a lot of money. Using this setup, along with Sling, Amazon and Netflix, which I had anyway, I save over $100 / Mo.

For that much free money, I'll do a little work. This setup pays for itself in under a year.

Comment

And you could not be any less conscious than a passed out drunk.

My personal disputes with you are not a factor here, you gave good advice, why would I argue against that?
                              I argue with lots of people here, but not when they give good advice, make of that what you will.
                              You're the one who brought firearms into the Cantina,
                              Last edited by Annoyed; 12 February 2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

And I brought PH's cooking. It comes with a biohazard sign
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X