Page 7209 of 7221 FirstFirst ... 6209670971097159719972067207720872097210721172127219 ... LastLast
Results 144,161 to 144,180 of 144409
  1. #144161
    Major General Princess Awinita's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the galaxy with Ezra
    Posts
    11,207

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I'm absorbing all this tech info.
    Explains why you look like a sponge

    This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

  2. #144162
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,508

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Pfft! You couldn't hit the broad side of a Battlestar. Or was that a Death Star?
    And you could not be any less conscious than a passed out drunk.

    My personal disputes with you are not a factor here, you gave good advice, why would I argue against that?
    I argue with lots of people here, but not when they give good advice, make of that what you will.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  3. #144163
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    Oh I don't doubt that he knows what he's talking about. If I had the money and know-how to buy all the equipment necessary to set up a server with such a RAID array I'd likely be taking the same approach. But alas, my adeptness with computers is mostly from a user standpoint. I have no expertise in building one from scratch or programming capability. So I'm doing the best I can with what I got for this project.
    You don't have to break the bank for this. Depending upon how badly your cable/sat. provider rapes you for DVR capability (with a pitifully small capacity), this can pay for itself in a year.

    The case for the server is one I had around collecting dust.
    Motherboard is an Asus, chips is an intel i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Memory is 8 G.
    Has a 2nd network card added to it, & 4-tuner TV tuner card (https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_quadhd.html)
    No audio card, only vid. card is the one in the motherboard. It doesn't need sound, and doesn't have a GUI installed anyway.
    It lives in the basement scaring the spiders.

    That hardware is about 6 years old. Has been running as a head end machine for my home network. Acts as a very flexible yet effective firewall, as well as services to the inside network. I do my own DNS, as well as a file sharing server. It also manages the wireless access point.

    TV antenna in the attic has a coax going to a splitter in the basement, one branch of which goes to the tuner card in this PC.

    This machine has Plex server software on it so it's a media server & controls DVR functions. Distribution to the TV's in the house is via Ethernet.

    Motherboard has 6 SATA ports on it. I've got a very small drive in one of them, this contains the operating system (Ubuntu Linux 18.04 server version)
    The rest of it can be filled with various capacity hard drives. And can be changed or added to relatively easily.

    So that six year old hardware is rather busy, yet I've yet to see it using more than 6 of the 8 G RAM and 30% or so CPU usage. And that was while it was recording 4 different channels and watching a recording; as heavy a load as I could put on it.

    You don't need high end hardware to do this. So you don't need to spend a lot of money. Using this setup, along with Sling, Amazon and Netflix, which I had anyway, I save over $100 / Mo.

    For that much free money, I'll do a little work. This setup pays for itself in under a year.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  4. #144164
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    And you could not be any less conscious than a passed out drunk.

    My personal disputes with you are not a factor here, you gave good advice, why would I argue against that?
    I argue with lots of people here, but not when they give good advice, make of that what you will.
    You're the one who brought firearms into the Cantina,
    Last edited by Annoyed; February 12th, 2020 at 03:53 PM.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  5. #144165
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,010

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    And I brought PH's cooking. It comes with a biohazard sign
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  6. #144166
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    And I brought PH's cooking. It comes with a biohazard sign
    Nobody will eat that. So it's harmless.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  7. #144167
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,021

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    Explains why you look like a sponge
    Coming in all shapes and sizes as it were...

    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  8. #144168
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,280

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    And you could not be any less conscious than a passed out drunk.

    My personal disputes with you are not a factor here, you gave good advice, why would I argue against that?
    I argue with lots of people here, but not when they give good advice, make of that what you will.
    You're not wrong but I always feel vaguely dirty when Annoyed and I agree.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  9. #144169
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    You're not wrong but I always feel vaguely dirty when Annoyed and I agree.
    We do not need to know about your bathing habits.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  10. #144170
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,021

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    *installs bath house next to the cantina*
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  11. #144171
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,078

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    You don't have to break the bank for this. Depending upon how badly your cable/sat. provider rapes you for DVR capability (with a pitifully small capacity), this can pay for itself in a year.

    The case for the server is one I had around collecting dust.
    Motherboard is an Asus, chips is an intel i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Memory is 8 G.
    Has a 2nd network card added to it, & 4-tuner TV tuner card (https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_quadhd.html)
    No audio card, only vid. card is the one in the motherboard. It doesn't need sound, and doesn't have a GUI installed anyway.
    It lives in the basement scaring the spiders.

    That hardware is about 6 years old. Has been running as a head end machine for my home network. Acts as a very flexible yet effective firewall, as well as services to the inside network. I do my own DNS, as well as a file sharing server. It also manages the wireless access point.

    TV antenna in the attic has a coax going to a splitter in the basement, one branch of which goes to the tuner card in this PC.

    This machine has Plex server software on it so it's a media server & controls DVR functions. Distribution to the TV's in the house is via Ethernet.

    Motherboard has 6 SATA ports on it. I've got a very small drive in one of them, this contains the operating system (Ubuntu Linux 18.04 server version)
    The rest of it can be filled with various capacity hard drives. And can be changed or added to relatively easily.

    So that six year old hardware is rather busy, yet I've yet to see it using more than 6 of the 8 G RAM and 30% or so CPU usage. And that was while it was recording 4 different channels and watching a recording; as heavy a load as I could put on it.

    You don't need high end hardware to do this. So you don't need to spend a lot of money. Using this setup, along with Sling, Amazon and Netflix, which I had anyway, I save over $100 / Mo.

    For that much free money, I'll do a little work. This setup pays for itself in under a year.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. As for me I don't really watch that much TV. For me, number one once I get out on my own I'd likely be living in an apartment for the rest of my life and only have one TV...so I could just connect an HD-antenna directly into the antenna input on the TV to pick up the local broadcast channels for free (pretty much all I need)...and a BD/DVD/CD player plugged into one of the HDMI input ports on the TV. And that's pretty much it. So my set up could work just as nicely and be more portable. Your set up is good if you have a full-size house to use it in as I'm sure it likely takes up a fair amount of space, and if one day you had to move it would probably be a right pain in the mik'ta to disassemble and haul around LOL (getting an image of you throwing out your back hauling it up from the basement into the moving truck LOL )

    As far as watching anything streaming over the internet I could probably just watch it on my laptop computer and pipe it into the TV via the VGA/stereo audio input on the TV (hook in the VGA to pipe the monitor output and plug in a splitter into the headphone port that splits the headphone port into L/R stereo audio output plugs that can be plugged into their respective input ports)

    SSD's are also coming down in cost too....and the internal ones are cheaper than the external ones but you can get a kit at Best Buy that turns any internal HDD or SSD with a SATA interface into an external USB drive...though the drawback to that if if you jostle it, esp. while it's plugged in then you could disrupt the USB connection to the computer....ones designed to be external don't have that issue

  12. #144172
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. As for me I don't really watch that much TV. For me, number one once I get out on my own I'd likely be living in an apartment for the rest of my life and only have one TV...so I could just connect an HD-antenna directly into the antenna input on the TV to pick up the local broadcast channels for free (pretty much all I need)...and a BD/DVD/CD player plugged into one of the HDMI input ports on the TV. And that's pretty much it. So my set up could work just as nicely and be more portable. Your set up is good if you have a full-size house to use it in as I'm sure it likely takes up a fair amount of space, and if one day you had to move it would probably be a right pain in the mik'ta to disassemble and haul around LOL (getting an image of you throwing out your back hauling it up from the basement into the moving truck LOL )

    As far as watching anything streaming over the internet I could probably just watch it on my laptop computer and pipe it into the TV via the VGA/stereo audio input on the TV (hook in the VGA to pipe the monitor output and plug in a splitter into the headphone port that splits the headphone port into L/R stereo audio output plugs that can be plugged into their respective input ports)

    SSD's are also coming down in cost too....and the internal ones are cheaper than the external ones but you can get a kit at Best Buy that turns any internal HDD or SSD with a SATA interface into an external USB drive...though the drawback to that if if you jostle it, esp. while it's plugged in then you could disrupt the USB connection to the computer....ones designed to be external don't have that issue
    Oh, yes, moving would be a PITA. The hardware in the basement wouldn't be the problem though. The home theater setup in the living room would be the killer.
    But, it's not going to be a problem. Unless I hit the lottery and can just afford to buy everything new at new digs, I won't be moving out of here until they cart me out in a hearse. At my age, I'm done with moving.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  13. #144173
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,010

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    *installs bath house next to the cantina*
    Wouldn't work. We don't bathe
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  14. #144174
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,078

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Oh, yes, moving would be a PITA. The hardware in the basement wouldn't be the problem though. The home theater setup in the living room would be the killer.
    But, it's not going to be a problem. Unless I hit the lottery and can just afford to buy everything new at new digs, I won't be moving out of here until they cart me out in a hearse. At my age, I'm done with moving.
    server machines to me always seemed far larger and heavier than your typical home computer set-up *shrug*

    and yeah the BD/DVD/CD player I'd have would have a USB port for plugging in the drive(s) I use in order to play the rips I make of my disks

    also most players and smart TV's are internet capable as well so you could watch streaming content through those too

  15. #144175
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    server machines to me always seemed far larger and heavier than your typical home computer set-up *shrug*

    and yeah the BD/DVD/CD player I'd have would have a USB port for plugging in the drive(s) I use in order to play the rips I make of my disks

    also most players and smart TV's are internet capable as well so you could watch streaming content through those too
    In my view, smart TV capabilities are better obtained via add-on gadgets, such as Roku boxes and such. The reason is lifespan.
    A $2000 dollar TV is supposed to last 10+ years, often double that. But the apps that provide the smart functions very often sunset after only 2-3 years. You get occasional messages along the lines of "We regret that app_001 will no longer be available after such and such date",
    So, in a very short period of time, 3 years or so, all the TV's smart functions are dead, and you have to depend on add-on hardware anyway.
    So, there's no point in buying a "smart" TV, just be sure it has USB, HDMI ports and an ethernet port.
    You can buy a Roku box for $100 bucks, so no need to pay for that in the TV.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  16. #144176
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,508

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    [QUOTE=mad_gater;14682318]server machines to me always seemed far larger and heavier than your typical home computer set-up *shrug*
    They are not MG.

    and yeah the BD/DVD/CD player I'd have would have a USB port for plugging in the drive(s) I use in order to play the rips I make of my disks
    Of course, I use around 5 1TB backup drives just for my discs, but I always have backups of my backups.
    They cost around 60 bucks each.
    Your idea is not wrong, Annoyed just gave you a better way to do it.
    also most players and smart TV's are internet capable as well so you could watch streaming content through those too
    Sure, but in streaming, nothing is saved.
    What is it you want?
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  17. #144177
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,078

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    In my view, smart TV capabilities are better obtained via add-on gadgets, such as Roku boxes and such. The reason is lifespan.
    A $2000 dollar TV is supposed to last 10+ years, often double that. But the apps that provide the smart functions very often sunset after only 2-3 years. You get occasional messages along the lines of "We regret that app_001 will no longer be available after such and such date",
    So, in a very short period of time, 3 years or so, all the TV's smart functions are dead, and you have to depend on add-on hardware anyway.
    So, there's no point in buying a "smart" TV, just be sure it has USB, HDMI ports and an ethernet port.
    You can buy a Roku box for $100 bucks, so no need to pay for that in the TV.
    I don't really mess around with streaming much....just sayin' there's other ways to do it on the cheap if you do want to mess around with streaming...like streaming it onto an internet-capable laptop (for example one can watch netflix on their laptop) then hooking it into the VGA/stereo audio input on the TV

  18. #144178
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,078

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    [QUOTE=Gatefan1976;14682340]
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    server machines to me always seemed far larger and heavier than your typical home computer set-up *shrug*
    They are not MG.


    Of course, I use around 5 1TB backup drives just for my discs, but I always have backups of my backups.
    They cost around 60 bucks each.
    Your idea is not wrong, Annoyed just gave you a better way to do it.

    Sure, but in streaming, nothing is saved.
    What is it you want?
    a fairly simple set up is all I want or need...I probably wouldn't even get a smart TV since I don't stream much and if I do any streaming at all I just watch it on my computer

    so just a regular TV, BD/DVD/CD player with USB port, and indoor HD antenna is all I need plus the storage for storing the virtual disk images and disk rips of my movies and VHS recordings (I have a video capture device that can record VHS playback from a VCR to a file on a computer)

    and as I said above his idea is great if you have the living space to set it up...for me though chances are that in a few years me, my mom, and my sis will be selling this house and getting apartments....and apartment space is limited so setting up large machines would be a no-go

  19. #144179
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,021

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Wouldn't work. We don't bathe
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  20. #144180
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,010

    Default Re: The GateWorld Cantina MKII

    It was PH's way
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Page 7209 of 7221 FirstFirst ... 6209670971097159719972067207720872097210721172127219 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. The GateWorld Cantina Court
    By Gregorius in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 4482
    Last Post: November 8th, 2016, 12:12 PM
  2. The GateWorld Cantina Chronicles
    By Admiral Mappalazarou in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 1406
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2015, 08:44 AM
  3. The Gateworld Cantina X-files division
    By aretood2 in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: November 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM
  4. The GateWorld Cantina Animal Sanctuary
    By Admiral Mappalazarou in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: December 31st, 2013, 01:02 AM
  5. The GateWorld Cantina
    By Admiral Mappalazarou in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 679861
    Last Post: May 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •