No announcement yet.

Disappointed in Farscape so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first started watching Farscape, I couldn't stand Rygel. The thought of a Jim Henson muppet in a sci-fi show threw me for a loop. However, as the show developed and the characters developed, I came to stop noticing he was a muppet.

I remember seeing the promo for it on SciFi and was excited. Farscape and First Wave premiered on the same night. First Wave was ok at best imho. I was reluctant with Farscape, but kept watching. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) got into it as well so we would get burritos and watch Farscape together. So sad when it ended.

Comment

There are certainly some points in the first season that are really awkward and campy, and looking back at them in context, they remind me alot of the first episodes of Stargate where we run into really, really powerful and wondrous things that are then not mentioned for the rest of the show for the sake of making it interesting. Though it certainly doesn't have the long-story arcs that Farscape gets raves about, they set things up. I just finished PKW last night, and if its a toss-up between SG and FS, I really think it would depend on my mood. Love them both

Comment

Originally posted by DrNicholasRush View Post
        There are certainly some points in the first season that are really awkward and campy, and looking back at them in context, they remind me alot of the first episodes of Stargate where we run into really, really powerful and wondrous things that are then not mentioned for the rest of the show for the sake of making it interesting. Though it certainly doesn't have the long-story arcs that Farscape gets raves about, they set things up. I just finished PKW last night, and if its a toss-up between SG and FS, I really think it would depend on my mood. Love them both
        Both were definitely great shows. I prefer not to choose between them. I loved both Farscape and SG-1 for their own reasons.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Farscape only got better and better as it went on. It was cancelled far too soon. Alas, tis the fate of any show that is actually good.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh, I wouldn't go quite that far. Except that they would have had plenty more stories to tell in the Farscape universe...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loserinc View Post
              Farscape only got better and better as it went on. It was cancelled far too soon. Alas, tis the fate of any show that is actually good.
              Yes it was a shame but the high of the successful Save Farscape campaign in helping to provide the PW conclusion was almost worth the cancellation.
              "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Yeah, PW was really awesome. I just tend to get bitter when a show ends, and I am left wanting more. At least there hasn't been another Twin Peaks fiasco, yeah, still angry about that.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huaracocha View Post
                  Yes it was a shame but the high of the successful Save Farscape campaign in helping to provide the PW conclusion was almost worth the cancellation.
                  Big emphasis on the "almost" IMO. Another season still would have been preferable.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    Big emphasis on the "almost" IMO. Another season still would have been preferable.
                    Yeah absolutely. Followed by a spin off series or two charting prequel or sequel adventures of some of the characters and maybe a series of movies
                    "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

IMO, Farscape definitely could have gone on past Season 4 for some time. At least another two seasons.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Wasn't Farscape intended to only go for five seasons (much like Babylon 5)? That's what I believe Rockne and/or DK have said. It made SciFi's abrupt cancellation of the then already approved 5th season particularly cruel, as there was only one more season to go before the planned end. PKW was a super-condensed version of what the 5th and final season would have been, minus all the stand-alone episodes and resolutions of plotlines not related to the main John-Aeryn axis.

I'm continually puzzled by the hostile initial reaction many have to Rygel being a muppet. Have people forgotten that Yoda was also a muppet (in the original Star Wars trilogy)? No one seems to have a problem with THAT, yet Rygel being one gets heaps of grief. If Rygel was an all-CGI character would that have been somehow better? I don't see the difference, and in fact being a solid object like a muppet allowed for the actors to physically interact with him in ways that can't be done with CGI creations.

Comment

Originally posted by 61Cygni View Post
                          I'm continually puzzled by the hostile initial reaction many have to Rygel being a muppet. Have people forgotten that Yoda was also a muppet (in the original Star Wars trilogy)? No one seems to have a problem with THAT, yet Rygel being one gets heaps of grief. If Rygel was an all-CGI character would that have been somehow better? I don't see the difference, and in fact being a solid object like a muppet allowed for the actors to physically interact with him in ways that can't be done with CGI creations.
                          I think that would have been a very bad choice. Especially for the reason you listed about character/object interaction. He really would have been a fake character then. (Him being CGI at the beginning of PKW was weird. Obviously it had to be done that way, but the whole movie like that would have been off.) Him being a puppet made him more real and I thought they did a damn good gob with him as he looked as real as a puppet can get. I never had a problem with him. I guess some people who have a problem aren't familiar with the great work that Henson could do with puppets.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

for me once i got used to the puppets (rygel definetly grew on me), it became really good! and the show just gets better, season 4 and PKW being the best of all.
                            sigpic

Comment

The character of Rygel was so LARGE, so genuinely voiced (acted?) that by the 2nd season, it's forgotten that he is a muppet/puppet/not-real person. Perhaps that's how Hynerians look after all? His personality gives him life -- seflish, loyal (when it suits him), crafty, wise, and always royal.
                              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

My worst Season was Season 4 cos they spent way too much time with that John/Aeryn thing. Not to mention the Scarran/PK stuff was none of Crichton's business, really. The political stuff was soooo dull. John Quixote was the best episode there. But my fav season could be 3.
                                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                                X