Disappointed in Farscape so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed in Farscape so far

I have 4 more episodes left in season 1 (18 viewed), and I must say in all honesty, this show has been mediocre at best for me. I hope season 2 is much better than season 1. Someone please tell me it is.

There have been 3-4 episodes of the 18 I have seen that I have really liked, but for the most part, most have been blah to just ok.

I bought the entire 4 seasons based on what I read here, so I'm a wee bit surprised so many love this show. I just don't see it.....yet. Maybe I'm comparing it too much to Stargate or Battlestar Galactica. Oh well, here's hoping muppets in space get better, and soon.

I welcome any thoughts, rebuttals, or comments. Thanks.
    - The Truth is Out There!

Season 1 is easily the weakest. If you don't like it after the end of 2 then I'd say you won't like the rest of it. Season 1 has a completely different tone to the others.

Which 4 did you like though? I should be able to tell from that what you'll think of the rest of the series.

Your next episode, 1.19, should be "nerve" , followed by "hidden memory". If you end up liking those you'll probably like the rest of the series. They're similar in tone, introduce the handsome fellow in my avatar, and lay the ground work for what will become the series' central arc.

Comment

S1 one is mostly about stand alone stories to build up and show how these character are. If you don't like the episodes where Scorpious is brought in or the season finale then I would say its not for you. The direction is quite different in S2 and beyond
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        S1 one is mostly about stand alone stories to build up and show how these character are. If you don't like the episodes where Scorpious is brought in or the season finale then I would say its not for you. The direction is quite different in S2 and beyond
        Pretty much this. The last 4 episodes are a marked rise in quality from the rest of season 1 and after that the quality goes up and up. If you like them, you’ll like the rest of the show.

Comment

It definitely gets better. Farscape is NOT for everybody. There are a lots of ugly scenes, bizzare settings, strange stories and I think that "Stone" and "Vitas Mortis" in S2 are easily the worst episodes of the show. But if you get to the end of S1, then you will meet Scorpius, and the show changes a lot. Also, first season serves as the introduction of the characters so you can watch their development in following seasons. Especially John and Aeryn.

And unlike BSG or SG, this show gets better with time. BSG and SG were getting worse with following seasons. IMO.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I stopped watching shortly into season two. I made it through season one and after three or four episodes of season two I just couldn't take anymore of it. I made it longer with Farscape than I did with Babylon 5 though.
            "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
            - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

I didn't have cable when Farscape first aired so I was always sorry I missed it. Then, when Netflix (dvd's by mail) came out, I ordered the first season of Farscape disks. Frankly, I was disappointed. I actually didn't even continue with the series. I must have run out of things to watch and at some point, I picked up where I left off. WOW! I now OWN all of the disks and the final wrap up movie "The Peacekeeper Wars."

While I'm an obsessed Stargate SG-1 fan, and that will always be #1 with me -- Farscape is just plain FUN!!!
              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

I personally loved season 1 and I would say overall it is my favourite (along with season 2). I think it all depends on personal preference though, so just because a lot of people on this board like it, it doesn't mean you will too.

I will say this though, I wouldn't compare the show to BSG because in many ways they are not similar at all. There are some dark moments at times that can parallel with BSG, but overall the shows are very different.
                sigpic

Comment

Over the years I've learned to appreciate season 1 more as I rewatch it. Kinda like the first season of Babylon 5. Not exactly my favorite or the best, but it was an important season for building the rest of the show on. Though when I started watching Farscape, I caught on at the end of S2 back when it originally aired, and even though I didn't quite know what was going on, I was hooked and later caught up with S1. Heck you can just skip to the trilogy eps at the end of S2, and if you don't like those, then there is no hope for you.

With the first season of Farscape they stumbled around looking for a direction, but they finally found it towards the end and the story tightens up a lot and has more of a focus and direction which carries on to the end of the show.

I love SG and BSG, btw as well.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

I had trouble getting thru all of Season 1 on my first go too, so I skipped several episodes. Turns out every ep I skipped was a building block for later so I was lost a bit and had to go back and watch anyway. Most first seasons flounder a bit but IMO it was worth it to hang on watching until Season 2. I thought it was a definite improvement.

I didn't really love it til Season 4 though, and then the PKW movie. Like it's been said, it amounts to personal preference. Some of the eps in Season 3 were just way too weird for me and I almost stopped watching.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have watched all of farscape (except for Peacekeeper Wars!) but I have to say as well if it were not for Ben Bwroder and Claudia Black I would not have made it past season 1.... I know you all love this show but... but its my least favorite show in my collection! maybe on a second watching it will grow on me..
                      sigpic

Comment

I used to hate Farscape. I actually couldn't stand anything about it. However I started watching various clips on youtube and then that ended up being full episodes.............Now I have season 2 and 3 on DVD and getting 4.........probably tonight actually. I'll leave season 1 until last because I know it is a bit slow. But certainly season 2 is where it picks up.

It is a show that is just so off the wall that I can't help but love it. It take one very creative, very insane mind (well....group of minds) to come up with a show this genius.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

farscape is brilliant and it does get better after season 1 (although i really like s1) so try to stick with it.
                          sigpic
                          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I've said it before, but it took me into season 2 to really get into it. When it clicked though, it clicked.

Comment

Farscapes awesomness increases just as Crichton becomes more and more insane.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X