No announcement yet.

Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya but look at wut txting has dun 2 "standard" splng...

Comment

And at least it wasn't Ebonics!

Comment

I can barely make out Middle English. Old English looks like another language to me.
        Stratification?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          And at least it wasn't Ebonics!
          Or Snooponics.

Fo shizzle, mah nizzle.

Comment

Old English is far easier than modern English. In my job from time to time I have to read through transcripts of Facebook and MSN conversations.....you try and decipher that stuff!!!!It is easier converting a Tale of Two Cities to heiroglyphs most of the time.
            sigpic

Comment

Its just English with a different orthography: ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                It's the evolution of English over 2000 years. I'm shocked they can read it. Anyone tried to understand Old English from the text without translation?
                English and Norwegian have had about as much time to separate and they are actually really similar. If they had the benefit of proto-Germanic speaking people writing they'd probably be dialects of one language today.

It is completely plausible that the Novans and their descendants, who had the added affects of not being in contact with other nations speaking totally different languages, and writing right from the start, have something the crew of the Destiny can understand.

Just sound out : "Hvor finne deg roenne bær" and see if you recognise anything.

Spoiler:
                The grammar in the example I made is probably bad, but the Norwegian and English words are recognisably related: Hvor/where finne/find deg/thee roenne/rowan bær/berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                  whatever exactly it is, it's not simple english with missing letters: the civilian guy reading the paper said 'i'm starting to get the gist of this.'

a couple of dropped letters is easy enough to interpret, considering we know the entire civilian crew is supposed to be very intelligent - the two least qualified civilians are eli and chloe, and chloe has a degree. eli is a dropout, but smart; everyone else has years of experience and brains.
                  Eli might not have the qualifications. But to say he is even close to the same level as Chloe is insulting to the character he is closer to Rush. Even having a better understanding of Mathematics.

Comment

Heres some pics of the language:

Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 January 2020, 01:26 AM. Reason: Hotlinks edited.

Comment

Ok, now that is awesome! Hello, SG1 Tip-of-the-Hat!
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 January 2020, 01:27 AM. Reason: Hotlink in requote edited.

Comment

The bike ones the best. Some great exampkes. Likelee. Erly. Blu. Fownd. Plese.

From the Kontinuum poster it seems they didnt change the names of the weekdays.
                        sigpic

Comment

Interesting that the planet has a 24 hour day, roughly. It would have been cool if the day had been shown to be longer than Earth normal.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Do you read the Old English phonetically to assist in understanding. I can't read it. Middle English is tough for me too.
                            i'm sorry. i am not exacly an expert for when it comes to "old engligh" and "middle english" and "intermediate english". i suck at history so i have no clue what the transition periods are.

as to language: i have developed an ability to intra and extrapolate the meaning of sentence. if i had to explain half the words i use in english in my native language, i would be clueless. i know and understand what they mean but i have no clue how to properly translate it.

that's how it went for me with Latin and Ancient Greek too.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              i'm sorry. i am not exacly an expert for when it comes to "old engligh" and "middle english" and "intermediate english". i suck at history so i have no clue what the transition periods are.

as to language: i have developed an ability to intra and extrapolate the meaning of sentence. if i had to explain half the words i use in english in my native language, i would be clueless. i know and understand what they mean but i have no clue how to properly translate it.

that's how it went for me with Latin and Ancient Greek too.
                              Old English Beowulf.

Middle English Chaucer.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                                Old English Beowulf.

Middle English Chaucer.

Bad English

Comment

Working...
                                X