Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-fi physics of power, battery, and shields...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all we know the gates somehow feed raw materials to destiny when it's dialed. Why else have a platform. And why stop every X hours to dial a gate. Perhaps there's some nanobot tech in the metals and structure to use those materials to maintain the integrity. It's just not enough to fill in massive gaps where breaches have occurred. Or build new FTL units. And the nanobots numbers might have attritioned over the years. Just a thought.

I'm kind of curious if the O-type star did anything special for destiny like cook off a parasite or refurbish a particular material to help with it's batteries and structural strength. Like heating glass to repair a crack. Or welding two pieces of metal together to make a bigger piece of metal. Or just the general temporing of metals. Which could also have the opposite effect.

Comment

Its well established in Stargate that shields can block radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        If he knows a thin filter (other than steel, poly or water) that will screen out gamma rays, my nuclear plant would like to buy some.
        I think he was speaking theoretically.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
          I think he was speaking theoretically.
          I would agree that an electronic "screen" is viable in the future (not theory just inevitable). I would disagree they'll ever be a thin filter (as in a material) that can screen out gamma.

Comment

Working...
          X