No announcement yet.

Park's sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignoring the fact that there's only one more episode, which makes discussions of permanence somewhat moot, I dont think she would be permanently blind. When you're talking about the EM energy output of a supergiant star at pointblank range, there's a very narrow window between "blinded" and "instantly vaporized into a quark-gluon plasma".

I dont know how they could explain it that the shield/suit filtered out JUST ENOUGH deadly broad-spectrum EM energy to keep her alive, conscious, and not covered in radiation burns, but permanently fry her rods and cones. I think the more likely scenario, as Rush intimated, was that her optic nerves just got overstimulated by the intensity of the visible light, and will recover relatively quickly. The suit could filter out enough to prevent permanent damage, while still having a threshhold high enough to allow enough light to temporarily dazzle you in a sudden flash.

Comment

It was pretty obvious that something was going to happen to her the moment that she volunteered, so I'd guess that she would have been permanently blind if the show continued.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

morbos,

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
        Now to see if Destiny has accessibility features for the blind.
        If not I'm sure the OSHA representative at homeworld command will have sharpe words for Col. Young. This is a U.S. Government instillation now, after all. It MUST be OSHA complient.
        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

I don't think she will be permanently blind. I mean Greer survived his infection and both survived their surgeries.

I think that it will seem like it's permanent for the last episode. But it would have started coming back next season. She would have had to go through the long process of getting used to it. They'd have found a cure that allowed it to come back after a few treatment much like Teal'c in early SG1 episode. Where all the team except him are captured in those electrified boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
            Now to see if Destiny has accessibility features for the blind.
            IIRC:

chloe&rush's corridor was sloped

mckay&eli's corridor was sloped.

i haven't seen stairs yet anywhere, at least not that i remember. the only place that may be stepped is the bridge, and i can't remember if there's a slope at one side.

personally, i would prefer to see permanent blindness, as it would give some kind of actual impact to park, her work, her relationship with greer, and how volker sees her. to say nothing of how the rest of the crew sees her.

however, i've not noticed any negative effect having a long-term effect anywhere. so, i can't see it happening - much as it might have been interesting.
            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
              IIRC:

chloe&rush's corridor was sloped

mckay&eli's corridor was sloped.

i haven't seen stairs yet anywhere, at least not that i remember. the only place that may be stepped is the bridge, and i can't remember if there's a slope at one side.

personally, i would prefer to see permanent blindness, as it would give some kind of actual impact to park, her work, her relationship with greer, and how volker sees her. to say nothing of how the rest of the crew sees her.

however, i've not noticed any negative effect having a long-term effect anywhere. so, i can't see it happening - much as it might have been interesting.
              McKay & Eli? I'm not understanding that one. McKay was only in one episode.

We have seen stairs in the gateroom and the bridge, but that's about it. Everywhere else seems to be accessible by the Wonkavator.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                McKay & Eli? I'm not understanding that one. McKay was only in one episode.

We have seen stairs in the gateroom and the bridge, but that's about it. Everywhere else seems to be accessible by the Wonkavator.
                ahh yes, the bloody spiral things in the gateroom. hate that type of stair

still can't remember specifically seeing stairs in the bridge, but i don't look at the floor much so...

rush and chloe used a particular corridor somewhere that i seem to recall being sloped, during her smurf days. in mckay's episode, he's seen talking to eli, about why something wouldn't work, though it seemed they agreed on the idea of dialling destiny from langara - again in a corridor which i believe was sloped. perhaps the same one, perhaps different, to the one rush and chloe used - it wasn't stated specifically. i liked the way eli and mckay were portrayed together, which is probably why i remember it a bit better.
                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

There are stairs in the Gate room.
                  All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                    rush and chloe used a particular corridor somewhere that i seem to recall being sloped, during her smurf days. in mckay's episode, he's seen talking to eli, about why something wouldn't work, though it seemed they agreed on the idea of dialling destiny from langara - again in a corridor which i believe was sloped. perhaps the same one, perhaps different, to the one rush and chloe used - it wasn't stated specifically. i liked the way eli and mckay were portrayed together, which is probably why i remember it a bit better.
                    Ah ok. I was confused, now it makes sense.

Comment

SGU focusses on the characters and their development, so I think that if there was a 3rd season they would explore Park & Greer's relationship with her being blind.
                      Although there is also the nice drama approach of Greer not being able to handle it and leaving her, and Volker stepping up Doubt that'd happen though. Greer is one dedicated guy.

Comment

Originally posted by droid327 View Post
                        I think the more likely scenario, as Rush intimated, was that her optic nerves just got overstimulated by the intensity of the visible light, and will recover relatively quickly. The suit could filter out enough to prevent permanent damage, while still having a threshhold high enough to allow enough light to temporarily dazzle you in a sudden flash.
                        Re-watched it last night, and to me the blindness came when she opened her eyes as the flareup of fire was being sucked out into space... That to me is what caused it.

There have been ladders around though.

Comment

Well Varro fell down who knows how far and he's back up and walking, shooting rocket launchers like its nobody's business. Nothing permanent there.

I would say for Park its permanent but who knows.
                          sigpic

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's blog was going on about how Blockade would mean a tragic fate for a character so I think she's going to remain blind permanently.

But in all sense she should be blind for about a week and then recover.

Comment

They do say that if you bash the bishop too much you go blind...
                              Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Would her eye problem be the severe, I mean she would have burned her corneas or such. Don't they have a laser on Destiny? They can't fix it. Or at-least give her back some sight.

Comment

Working...
                                X