Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gates.. the writers really don't know how they work, do they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gates.. the writers really don't know how they work, do they?

just watched Common Descent (ep 17), and its just confirmed to me for the tenth time in this series that the writers really don't watch the programs their writing for.

so a group a folk go through a gate from planet 1 to planet 2 and can't get back cause there something wrong with the gate on planet 1. And their solution is to load everyone onto destiny (which has its own star gate) with limited air and fly them over to planet 1..? anyone else see the stupidity in that? why wouldn't they just fly over to planet 1 and use destiny's gate to make a connection to planet 2 after they arrived..

the only logical reason is that destiny's gate is cr@p compared to the gates its supposedly seeding... a conclusion that seems to be confirmed by the fact that they can only dial a few gates at any one location...

i know some people will think that this is stupid of me to make such a big deal of this, but it really effects entertainment value when the reality they are writing makes no sense.

Did you watch the episode? Because they weren't going to take the people. They were going to check the planet first. Then the drones came, and they had little other choice than to take the people with them.

Comment

Also
      Spoiler:
      The drones destroyed the gate in their attack
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

That too. Really, you're trying to blame the writers for a mistake they not only didn't make, but actively wrote around.

Comment

Originally posted by cor View Post
          just watched Common Descent (ep 17), and its just confirmed to me for the tenth time in this series that the writers really don't watch the programs their writing for.

so a group a folk go through a gate from planet 1 to planet 2 and can't get back cause there something wrong with the gate on planet 1. And their solution is to load everyone onto destiny (which has its own star gate) with limited air and fly them over to planet 1..? anyone else see the stupidity in that? why wouldn't they just fly over to planet 1 and use destiny's gate to make a connection to planet 2 after they arrived..

the only logical reason is that destiny's gate is cr@p compared to the gates its supposedly seeding... a conclusion that seems to be confirmed by the fact that they can only dial a few gates at any one location...

i know some people will think that this is stupid of me to make such a big deal of this, but it really effects entertainment value when the reality they are writing makes no sense.
          this stupidity is a dishonor to your house.

Comment

we also know that novus was a week away in FTL - so that's a week with absolutely no contact with whoever was left behind. assuming, of course, no other issues arise en route. after a week, it would be nice to have a signal just to make sure that destiny is sitting there waiting - rather than having to keep dialling and hope for a connection.

the connection that the drones were tracking destiny through the use of stargates only came after the attack, however it's safe to say that the gate probably wasn't constantly on and off while destiny was in orbit. had destiny gone to novus before the attack came, they'd have had no idea that the local gate was wrecked. as a result they'd likely have decided to travel back to see what had happened - which would have given them about a fortnight extra journey.

i base this time on the fact that novus was on their approximate travel route anyway - but by going there, going back to the colony, they'd have had to go forward again after that. instead, they grabbed the people and went to novus, where they would have passed anyway, spent a few hours trying to upload a database, and then moved on.
            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

ok, this conversation happened BEFORE they knew the drones could track them and BEFORE the gate was destroyed.

Young "correct me if I'm wrong, but we can't take that many people on board, even if we want to"
              Eli "based on the address, i figured out where novus is, it would only take us a week to get there and yes, I've done the math, with the lime we got from the planet we should be able to make it just before the atmosphere on the ship gets toxic"
              Rush "yea with nothing in reserve, so what happens if we get there and we don't find any more? .. we're stuck, and that's not to mention the drain on our food and water supply's"
              bla bla bla
              Young "so we could use all our supply's to get them there and then, find no planet"
              bla bla bla
              Young "the planet is in our path, so we check it out, if they're still alive maybe we can help them fix the gate and they can rescue the rest of their people"
              Camile "is that your final decision?"

either planet gates are massively more powerful than the one on destiny (for some crazy reason) or they just didn't think of picking them up after they arrived, which would make them all idiots.

sure the plot workout in the end, but it didn't explain why they didn't even talk about using destiny's gate AFTER they made the trip.. or why they would need to fix a gate when they were already on a gate 'seeding' ship.

Comment

destiny can't actually SEED gates, as far as we're aware - and when we had access to a seedship, we found the storage area pretty fast, so it's safe to assume that destiny cannot.

at the time of that conversation, they didn't know what the damage to novus was. they thought the gate was damaged, not gone. there was no need to consider using destiny's gate at that point - and even if they had, they'd have had to shuttle people down over the course of several trips. they didn't originally plan to stay at novus longer than needed to talk the natives into handing over a few supplies.

if you want to poke holes, here's one: why did eli say - and rush agree with him - that the air would get toxic shortly after arrival at novus with just the pre-episode crew, when it didn't get toxic much faster with a larger population on board and no-one seemed in a rush to find air filtration supplies? that's a bigger error in my view.

Comment

why they would need to fix a gate when they were already on a gate 'seeding' ship.
                  I can't believe I'm saying this, the Destiny is NOT a seed ship!

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                    if you want to poke holes, here's one: why did eli say - and rush agree with him - that the air would get toxic shortly after arrival at novus with just the pre-episode crew, when it didn't get toxic much faster with a larger population on board and no-one seemed in a rush to find air filtration supplies? that's a bigger error in my view.
                    And this is where I poke your hole, the people they picked off the planet gave them lime, Eli and Rush said that with the larger population the lime they just got will have been used up and they will be right back where they started.

Comment

Didn't they agree to bring extra lime aboard?

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                        And this is where I poke your hole, the people they picked off the planet gave them lime, Eli and Rush said that with the larger population the lime they just got will have been used up and they will be right back where they started.
                        Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                        Didn't they agree to bring extra lime aboard?
                        when? the decision to bring the extra people aboard was made when they were already under attack - they didn't have time to get any extra supplies from what i was watching. in fact, just checking the transcript for common descent, and there's no mention of extra lime anywhere.

transcript from just before the planet was attacked, to the point where the connection shuts down:
                        Spoiler:
                        PLANET. Camille and Eli are standing in the middle of the settlement, talking with Yaozu and the youngsters.

WRAY: It's not a question of not wanting to help. It's a question of resources. There are so many of you and the ship's damaged and ... I'm so sorry.

YAOZU: So it seems the Futurans were wrong after all. I only wish we'd known sooner. We could have avoided generations of conflict.

WALLACE (awkwardly): We may be able to get the Novus Gate up and running again. If we can, we'll dial in and let you know.

(As the listening people mutter unhappily, Jason forces a smile.)

JASON: We'll be waiting.

(Just then there's a huge sonic boom in the sky. Everyone stares around anxiously.)

ELLIE: What was that?

SCOTT: Eli?

WALLACE: I don't know.

GREER (pointing upwards): Over there.

(A drone zooms rapidly overhead and begins to bank around for a second run.)

WRAY: Oh my God.

JASON: What? What was that?

WALLACE: We need to get the hell out of here, now.

SCOTT: Is there a place to hide - a cave?

YAOZU: Not nearby.

WALLACE (to Matt): We have to get to the Gate.

SCOTT (to Yaozu): We need to evacuate you people right now.

YAOZU: I don't understand.

GREER: Incoming!

SCOTT: Go, go, go, go, go, go, go! Run!

(The Destiny crew begin ushering everyone else away from the settlement and towards the Gate.)

WALLACE: Right, go, go, go! Hurry!

WRAY: Let's go!

SCOTT: Go, go, go, go!

(The drone is joined by another one and the two of them soar downwards and begin firing at the village. A shot from one of them clips the base of the aerial and it totters and falls. Greer stands nearby, calmly firing up at the drones as they fly overhead.)

(In space, a shedload more of the drones are attacking Destiny. Young comes onto the Bridge.)

YOUNG: Report.

PARK: The command ship just dropped out.

YOUNG: Can we jump?

VOLKER: Yeah, we're good.

YOUNG (into radio): Brody, this is Young. Dial the planet; get Scott's team back here immediately.

BRODY (from the Gateroom): They just dialled in. Drones are attacking the planet as well. Scott's requesting permission to evacuate the locals to Destiny.

(Young lowers his radio and hesitates as Lisa stares round at him. After a moment he lifts the radio again.)

YOUNG: Tell him to go ahead. We'll hold 'em off as long as we can.

(At the Gate on the planet, the villagers are running towards the Gate and charging into the event horizon.)

SCOTT: Come on, come on, come on, go, go, go.

WALLACE: Come on!

(A woman trips on the grass and falls over. Eli runs over and hauls her to her feet before shoving her towards the Gate again.)

SCOTT (to Eli): Go, go, go! We've got this!

WALLACE: No way!

WRAY: Not until these people are safe!

(They continue ushering and encouraging people onwards. In Destiny's Gateroom, Vanessa is doing a similar job with the new arrivals, keeping them moving so that they don't block the way for people behind them.)

JAMES: All right, guys, keep coming through! Here, keep coming. Don't bunch up!

(On the Bridge, Nick runs in.)

YOUNG: How the hell did they find us?

RUSH: I don't know.

(On the planet, Scott urges the next group of arrivals to swerve towards the ramp so that they'll be lined up by the time they get there.)

SCOTT: To the left, to the left, come on!

(Above him, a drone begins to dive downwards.)

WRAY: Get down!

(Scott and Greer fire towards the drone as it begins its strafing run. One blast hits the ground near to a running evacuee, throwing that person into the air. A second shot from the drone impacts the top of the Stargate, which disappears behind a cloud of black smoke. Greer and Scott swing around, continually firing at the drone as it soars onwards and one of their bullets hits it and it plunges out of the sky some distance away. As it crashes to the ground and explodes, the crew looks up while the sound of the other drones begins to fade as apparently they head skywards. As Scott looks around, he realises why: there is no more active technology for them to attack on the ground. A large chunk of the top of the Stargate is missing.)

(On Destiny, alarms are clamouring for attention as explosions continue to go off all around. Nick looks round from his console.)

RUSH: We can't take much more of this.

BRODY (over radio): Colonel, we've lost the connection to the planet. Scott and his team still haven't come through.
                        there's no way they could have made the decision, let alone grabbed extra supplies, in an emergency evacuation situation where everyone was running.

looking further through (am reading it while typing) there's a mention by park about bringing extra lime on board, however i just took that to mean the supplies they'd picked up in the first place, and the writers forgetting that they'd already said the air would be toxic.

however if they did intend for it to mean 'even more lime' a quick, throwaway comment from scott would have helped - while eli was trying not to call the drones with the gate, scott could have said he'd get people to get more lime.

if i'm wrong in thinking there's a hole, i'm wrong, but it really wasn't clear to me
                        Last edited by Keeper; 30 April 2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Comment

when? the decision to bring the extra people aboard was made when they were already under attack - they didn't have time to get any extra supplies from what i was watching. in fact, just checking the transcript for common descent, and there's no mention of extra lime anywhere.

transcript from just before the planet was attacked, to the point where the connection shuts down:
                          Spoiler:
                          PLANET. Camille and Eli are standing in the middle of the settlement, talking with Yaozu and the youngsters.

WRAY: It's not a question of not wanting to help. It's a question of resources. There are so many of you and the ship's damaged and ... I'm so sorry.

YAOZU: So it seems the Futurans were wrong after all. I only wish we'd known sooner. We could have avoided generations of conflict.

WALLACE (awkwardly): We may be able to get the Novus Gate up and running again. If we can, we'll dial in and let you know.

(As the listening people mutter unhappily, Jason forces a smile.)

JASON: We'll be waiting.

(Just then there's a huge sonic boom in the sky. Everyone stares around anxiously.)

ELLIE: What was that?

SCOTT: Eli?

WALLACE: I don't know.

GREER (pointing upwards): Over there.

(A drone zooms rapidly overhead and begins to bank around for a second run.)

WRAY: Oh my God.

JASON: What? What was that?

WALLACE: We need to get the hell out of here, now.

SCOTT: Is there a place to hide - a cave?

YAOZU: Not nearby.

WALLACE (to Matt): We have to get to the Gate.

SCOTT (to Yaozu): We need to evacuate you people right now.

YAOZU: I don't understand.

GREER: Incoming!

SCOTT: Go, go, go, go, go, go, go! Run!

(The Destiny crew begin ushering everyone else away from the settlement and towards the Gate.)

WALLACE: Right, go, go, go! Hurry!

WRAY: Let's go!

SCOTT: Go, go, go, go!

(The drone is joined by another one and the two of them soar downwards and begin firing at the village. A shot from one of them clips the base of the aerial and it totters and falls. Greer stands nearby, calmly firing up at the drones as they fly overhead.)

(In space, a shedload more of the drones are attacking Destiny. Young comes onto the Bridge.)

YOUNG: Report.

PARK: The command ship just dropped out.

YOUNG: Can we jump?

VOLKER: Yeah, we're good.

YOUNG (into radio): Brody, this is Young. Dial the planet; get Scott's team back here immediately.

BRODY (from the Gateroom): They just dialled in. Drones are attacking the planet as well. Scott's requesting permission to evacuate the locals to Destiny.

(Young lowers his radio and hesitates as Lisa stares round at him. After a moment he lifts the radio again.)

YOUNG: Tell him to go ahead. We'll hold 'em off as long as we can.

(At the Gate on the planet, the villagers are running towards the Gate and charging into the event horizon.)

SCOTT: Come on, come on, come on, go, go, go.

WALLACE: Come on!

(A woman trips on the grass and falls over. Eli runs over and hauls her to her feet before shoving her towards the Gate again.)

SCOTT (to Eli): Go, go, go! We've got this!

WALLACE: No way!

WRAY: Not until these people are safe!

(They continue ushering and encouraging people onwards. In Destiny's Gateroom, Vanessa is doing a similar job with the new arrivals, keeping them moving so that they don't block the way for people behind them.)

JAMES: All right, guys, keep coming through! Here, keep coming. Don't bunch up!

(On the Bridge, Nick runs in.)

YOUNG: How the hell did they find us?

RUSH: I don't know.

(On the planet, Scott urges the next group of arrivals to swerve towards the ramp so that they'll be lined up by the time they get there.)

SCOTT: To the left, to the left, come on!

(Above him, a drone begins to dive downwards.)

WRAY: Get down!

(Scott and Greer fire towards the drone as it begins its strafing run. One blast hits the ground near to a running evacuee, throwing that person into the air. A second shot from the drone impacts the top of the Stargate, which disappears behind a cloud of black smoke. Greer and Scott swing around, continually firing at the drone as it soars onwards and one of their bullets hits it and it plunges out of the sky some distance away. As it crashes to the ground and explodes, the crew looks up while the sound of the other drones begins to fade as apparently they head skywards. As Scott looks around, he realises why: there is no more active technology for them to attack on the ground. A large chunk of the top of the Stargate is missing.)

(On Destiny, alarms are clamouring for attention as explosions continue to go off all around. Nick looks round from his console.)

RUSH: We can't take much more of this.

BRODY (over radio): Colonel, we've lost the connection to the planet. Scott and his team still haven't come through.
                          there's no way they could have made the decision, let alone grabbed extra supplies, in an emergency evacuation situation where - even though everyone was running.

looking further through (am reading it while typing) there's a mention by park about bringing extra lime on board, however i just took that to mean the supplies they'd picked up in the first place, and the writers forgetting that they'd already said the air would be toxic.

however if they did intend for it to mean 'even more lime' a quick, throwaway comment from scott would have helped - while eli was trying not to call the drones with the gate, scott could have said he'd get people to get more lime.

if i'm wrong in thinking there's a hole, i'm wrong, but it really wasn't clear to me
                          they got the lime before, when they where first transporting supplies aboard, and in a weeks time all that lime they just got will have been used up because of the extra population, but if they didn't bring those extra people, then they wouldn't have a problem

Comment

ok, but why load them up while in orbit? half way through the journey they could have dropped out of FDL and brought the people on board, that way they would have had plenty 'air' to go around... and if they got there and found nothing they could just gate them back, right from the other planets orbit.. and get more lime while there at it..

i realize the above point is mute considering what actually happened, but why wasn't it 'the plan' before the ships attacked..?

also, if destiny is not a 'seed ship' then why was it seeding gates in series 1.. i clearly remember seeing a gate being launched off destiny toward a planet (even remember thinking how the ship must be able to create gates somhow seeing as how long it had been out there)..

Comment

there's no way they could have made the decision, let alone grabbed extra supplies, in an emergency evacuation situation where - even though everyone was running.
                              Supplies were being delivered through the gate well before the attack. That's where they got the extra lime. It's mentioned at the end of the episode.

ok, but why load them up while in orbit? half way through the journey they could have dropped out of FDL and brought the people on board, that way they would have had plenty 'air' to go around... and if they got there and found nothing they could just gate them back.. and get more lime while there at it..

i realize the above point is mute considering what actually happened, but why wasn't it 'the plan' before the ships attacked..?
                              No matter how they go about it, there's no point in taking the people if they can't fix the planetary gate. Dropping them off on the planet was never really an option. It was dying. Taking them aboard would have been a waste if they had nowhere to go.

also, if destiny is not a 'seed ship' then why was it seeding gates in series 1.. i clearly remember seeing a gate being launched off destiny toward a planet (even remember thinking how the ship must be able to create gates somhow seeing as how long it had been out there)..
                              You're seeing things. There's literally no other way to describe it. There is no scene, in the entire series, which is even remotely similar to what you describe.

Comment

Working...
                              X