No announcement yet.

Speed Of Destiny [SPOILERS Epilogue] not very accurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the drives sped up over time, they'd be shooting across galaxies in moments by now.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      If the drives sped up over time, they'd be shooting across galaxies in moments by now.
      I think you misunderstood. What I meant was, that the FTL drive accelarates over time, so the longer it as active, the faster it gets. This process starts all over again each time it is activated.
      sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
        Yes i know that "Speed of Destiny" sounds like some romance song/movie , but let's try to calculate the speed of the ship named destiny .

Warning I am not Very Good at math so check my math before attacking me .

Ok before i start i will use some premises :

A.) Biggest speed

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.90 c ( i will also post the numbers for 0.5 c and 0.25 c) .
        - They take 900 years to get to their destination ( they said hundreds of years and anything less would ) .

Calculations for A :

1.) finding out the distance in light years ( Travel distance * Speed of novas ships = distance )

900 years * 0.9 c = 810 Ly .

2.) Calculating the speed of destiny based on the fact that it covers the same distance in 10 days ( Distance / 10 days = Speed of destiny in Ly/Days )

810 / 10 = 81 Ly/day

I will compare that with the distance to PG ( the real life PG ) a little later .

B .) Medium speed

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.50 c .
        - They take 500 years to get to their destination ( medium distance ) .

Calculations for B :

1.) finding out the distance in light years ( Travel distance * Speed of novas ships = distance )

500 years * 0.5 c = 250 Ly .

2.) Calculating the speed of destiny based on the fact that it covers the same distance in 10 days ( Distance / 10 days = Speed of destiny in Ly/Days )

250 / 10 = 25 Ly/day

D .) Slow speed

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.25 c .
        - They take 300 years to get to their destination ( Because i like the sound of 300 ) .

Calculations for D :

300 years * 0.25 c = 75 Ly .

75 / 10 = 7.5 Ly/day

E .) 250 years travel

- The ships that the Novas use have 0.80 c .
        - They take 250 years to get to their destination ( Because i like the sound of 300 ) .

Calculations for E :

250 years * 0.80 c = 200 Ly .

200 / 10 = 20 Ly/day

The Speed of a 304
        :

As i searched the internet i found the Dwarf galaxy named Pegasus (also known as Andromeda VI) , this celestial body is a satelite of Andromeda ( the galaxy not the show ) and it's situated nearly 2.7 Mly (according to a nice obscure website) .

Let's calculate 2.7 Mly=2700 kly = 2700000 ly .

Now let's see , a ZPM 304 can get there in 4 days so :

2700000 ly / 4 days = 675 000 Ly/day ( now that's fast )

And without the ZedPM :

2700000 ly / 18 days = 150 000 ly /day ( fast then destiny ever was )

Note :
        The say that i hate Destiny , so a small calculation to see what it would take for destiny to match the speed of a 304 .

- we will give Nova the biggest speed 0.9999 c

- and the traveling time for the nova ship 1 500 150.02

and after we do the math we get the same speed as the 304 without a ZPM , but at this point there numbers are getting to intergalactic distances .

Now i hope my math is good .

P.S. : You could argue that Destiny uses another engine to travel the galactic void ( now way ) or that they didn't have energy to go faster then 10 days ( they where in a solar system , they could recharge ) .

Ok feel free to green me .
        You forgot about the asgard:

2.7M LYs so using that it is:
        2700000LY/2 Minutes=1.35Mly/minute
        sigpic

Comment

Actually Destiny travels at 4. I got that number because Rush said "Destiny travels fast" so I assigned an arbitrary number to it.

Comment

But my choice of numbers are withing reason , and i hate long quotes
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
            StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
            GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
              But my choice of numbers are withing reason , and i hate long quotes
              If they say 3 million light years that could mean anything from 2.9 million to 3.1 million and three weeks can mean 18 to 23 days. Its too broad to assign numbers to and if you calculate every one then you have too broad ranges that cannot be compared to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                I'll point out that that Destiny seems to speed up on the intergalactic leg. From all we've seem, it seems FTL speed in directly affected by the flatness of the space time it's traveling through. Rougher (as near planets and stars) means increased degradation of drive capacity until it shuts down; smoother (as in the empty space between galaxies) the faster it goes.
                Wasn't there some similar rule with the Daedalus, with the void speed and speed inside Pegasus? I don't remember the details but people spotted a discrepancy as well.
                We know that mass leaves some trace in hyperspace. Supermasses focused on small areas, like black holes, really cause trouble to hyperdrives. It is possible that a galaxy's overall mass could have some effect, although I'm not convinced it should be non-negligible.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
                  I think you misunderstood. What I meant was, that the FTL drive accelarates over time, so the longer it as active, the faster it gets. This process starts all over again each time it is activated.
                  That's a good one. We often assume that maximum FTL speed is always immediately reached as a ship goes FTL. Plus the acceleration is certainly what would consume most of the energy. In the void, it's possible that once Destiny would reach a given speed, she'd just "cruise".
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by qingbest View Post
                    You forgot about the asgard:

2.7M LYs so using that it is:
                    2700000LY/2 Minutes=1.35Mly/minute
                    YEAH, it seems no Asgard ships were counted in.
                    And in my opinion, it could be 60 mins for Asgard to travel in that distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                      I'll point out that that Destiny seems to speed up on the intergalactic leg. From all we've seem, it seems FTL speed in directly affected by the flatness of the space time it's traveling through. Rougher (as near planets and stars) means increased degradation of drive capacity until it shuts down; smoother (as in the empty space between galaxies) the faster it goes.
                      Yes, space and time are curved. Large masses like planets, stars or a singularity warp an area of space and time because of their gravitational field. Think of it as an bowling ball (star) on a trampoline (space).

I have not had a chance to read all the posts, but if Destiny has been traveling for one million years, and its two billion light years from the MW, it travels roughly 2000 light years a year I believe. (if my math is correct) That fails.
                      Last edited by Gormagon; 26 August 2011, 03:14 PM.
                      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                        Yes, space and time are curved. Large masses like planets, stars or a singularity warp an area of space and time because of their gravitational field. Think of it as an bowling ball (star) on a trampoline (space).

I have not had a chance to read all the posts, but if Destiny has been traveling for one million years, and its two billion light years from the MW, it travels roughly 2000 light years a year I believe. (if my math is correct) That fails.
                        In Air, Part 1 Rush says they're "several billion light years from home" so that could easily be 3-, 6-, 12-billion light years away from Earth. In addition to that, Destiny is most likely 50-60 million years old because the generation of Stargates that it has predate the Milky Way's which are supposed to be roughly 50 million years old.

So however many billions (more than two, most likely) of light years it's traveled, it's taken it 50+ million years to do so. However, I don't know if I perceive that to be "slow"...

Comment

Ok, these are big numbers but I think 12 billion divided by 50 million is 240. So 12 billion would mean it only go's 240 light years a year. I was pretty sure somewhere it said it was 2 billion, but for the sake of argument lets say its, 4. 1000 light years a year is it was launched a million years ago. Wraith hyperdrives move faster then that. Asgard hyperdrives can cross 1200 light years in seconds. And I know that Destiny does not have a hyperdrive, and maby this type of F.t.l lasts alot longer but O.M.G lets go faster. Do not wanna take a sun's lifetime to get to the source of the signal.
                          sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

it's not slow

there was an episode when they had the opportunity to use a "modern" starship which had higher velocity

Rush explained that because the Destiny is built by "ancients" it was a"slower" craft, but it's still not slow

would be very scary to be on though, can you imagine if you were on it for real? haha that would be SCARY!

Comment

Originally posted by the-nothing View Post
                              it's not slow

there was an episode when they had the opportunity to use a "modern" starship which had higher velocity
                              Are you referring to one of the Nakai motherships or something? Because I don't recall them having an opportunity to use a newer ship...

Rush explained that because the Destiny is built by "ancients" it was a"slower" craft, but it's still not slow
                              When was this? Because everything we've seen to-date that's manufactured by the Ancients seems to out-class any other comparable tech (e.g. Atlantis' Stardrive > all other hyperspace/FTL drives).

At any rate, no I don't think Destiny's slow. Sure it's overall rate of speed has probably declined over the eons but I would imagine that it's propulsion is at least comparable to a Ha'tak, if not perhaps the Prometheus or even the 304's. It's likely that in her prime Destiny could have kept up with the best the Ancients had to offer, but in the old and decrepit state she's in now she's probably lost a lot of her speed.

would be very scary to be on though, can you imagine if you were on it for real? haha that would be SCARY!
                              I think it'd be a thrill. Experiencing the FTL jump, exploring the ship itself, manning the bridge etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X