Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Major General

Default Re: The mystery behind the Drones

Plus infrastructure/knowledge may matter not if the materials its made out of don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantevilhead View Post
    The drones are probably this galaxy's version of the replicators.
    To an extent, I agree.

They probably turned on whoever built them.
    The problem with this idea is that, like block-Replicators in SG-1, the drones really don't seem to have the sapience required to "rebel" - they and the command ships fulfill their function (destroy "alien" technology) without any real thought or malice, just as the Replicators fulfilled their function (replicate) without any real thought or malice.

It's quite possible that the Drone-Builders are merely isolationist (i.e., they use the drones to preempt attacks against them by destroying any potential aggressors) or that they died out from natural or semi-natural causes (such as a plague, Asgard-cloning problem, societal collapse, etc).
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

First Lieutenant

It's quite possible that the Drone-Builders are merely isolationist...
    This is interesting since it also presents the possibility that the drone makers are alive and well, living a Utopian existence, completely oblivious to the carnage their defense system is wreaking on neighboring galaxies.

Or maybe the drone builders were paranoid and thought that the gates were being used as a part of an invasion so they made the drones to protect themselves against the threat.

Major General

Or maybe the drone builders were paranoid and thought that the gates were being used as a part of an invasion so they made the drones to protect themselves against the threat.
    Which might explain why they are so hell bent against us.

Staff Sergeant

Hi,

Sorry for the lateness, but I addressed many of these concerns and used very similar ideas in my own "answer" to why/when were the drones created.

SGU: ORIGINS - PEACEMAKERS

It's a short standalone "interlude" in 3 simple acts, only loosely related to the main fanfic (where the drones are prominently featured too).

Enjoy & comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    seconded.

we see the drones do damage against destiny, but they can't take it down - they're not doing that much of a miracle if they can't take down one ship.

however, we do know that the drones appear to be from a previous galaxy - i think, anyway, though i'm not sure. the race that built them was certainly advanced, but destiny is hardly from the height of ancient civilisation, so we've no way to know how they would do against a 'modern' lantean warship. if destiny can hold them off though, it's fair to guess that more advanced tech can too.
    Agree

This isn't the Planet Builders, or on a par with the Ancients

They seem to be like the Replicators, technology consuming etc but in this case destroy

Tbf they probably aren't that far off overcoming them, if they can hack a small pocket of them so there is infighting, and can detect their entire network to realise they are guarding all the Recharge stars, they only now have to figure out a way to infect their entire network with a virus and command code

Hey if in SGA they can change mastercode of humanoid replicators and freeze them all they can find a way defeat the Drones

They are great thematically though, too much is focused on technology as a solution