Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel

Default Are you cool with the reboot? (~spoilers for 2009 movie~)

Are you cool with how the 2009 movie rebooted Star Trek? A straight up reboot would have lost me, but I like how they simply retooled the world of Star Trek via time travel. Granted, a lot of cosmetic changes were made for modern cinema, but the world of Star Trek is relatively intact. The only thing I really didn't like was the destruction of Vulcan. However, I think that was done to show us just how different this new Star Trek will be. I also like how they incorporated the original Spock to ease the transition for those who were resistant to change. Given that Spock was from the TNG era, I wish there'd been some mention of the Enterprise-E, but oh well. Another thing I didn't like was Kirk's promotion from cadet graduate to acting first officer to acting captain to legit captain. Knowledge without experience makes a poor leader. I hope this will be explored if they do a sequel.

If you like the reboot, why? If not, why?

Default Re: Are you cool with the reboot? (~spoilers for 2009 movie~)

I am deffinatly fine with the reboot, I loved the movie.

I don't like it. Not a fan of this rebooting fad.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

I love reboots when they're done well. Trek was done fairly well by pretty decent actors. Some things I didn't like, such as how Kirk got promoted from Ensign to Captain during one movie. I'm not too keen on the destruction of Vulcan either, and Nero was a weak enemy (about on a par with Shinzon...). I also hated the excessive use of lens flare and shakycam, but other than that I loved it. Pretty good entertainment.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
    I don't like it. Not a fan of this rebooting fad.
    Rebooting fad? I'm just asking about Star Trek's reboot. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    I love reboots when they're done well. Trek was done fairly well by pretty decent actors. Some things I didn't like, such as how Kirk got promoted from Ensign to Captain during one movie. I'm not too keen on the destruction of Vulcan either, and Nero was a weak enemy (about on a par with Shinzon...). I also hated the excessive use of lens flare and shakycam, but other than that I loved it. Pretty good entertainment.
    I totally agree with you on Kirk's promotion and the loss of Vulcan. I liked Nero, but didn't we already have a psychotic Romulan figure with a massive starship no one can stop? Oh wait, that was the last movie. The lens flares and shakycam is more J.J. Abrams, so if a new director stepped in, that could be dropped entirely.

Guess its just me but I LOVE the lens flare and shaky cam

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    My sentiments almost exactly. I will always be drinking a certain amount of haterade for the reboot because it means we won't see anything set in The Original Universe again, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Jumper One View Post
    Guess its just me but I LOVE the lens flare and shaky cam
    And you can keep them. I believe JJ said that the lens flare and shaky cam went overboard, and he'd cut back on them in the next one. Dammit, Jim! I want to SEE my space battles!

As someone that follows this Trek-stuff pretty closely, I'm fine with the 2009 film. Strictly speaking, it isn't a reboot. JJ created an alternated universe. The old universe is still - out there. They can go back to it for a future film or TV series. But, for the movies at least for now, this is the set of tinker-toys they will be using (at least for two more films). The movie did what it had to do - bring in new fans and make some good money. I also think it's a pretty slick Trek story and one that leaves a lot of potential new things open. Looking forward to the sequel in June 2012!

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I will always be drinking a certain amount of haterade for the reboot because it means we won't see anything set in The Original Universe again, though.
    Is that a bad thing? After 80 episodes and 7 movies, the original show's characters were played out. Rather than a predictable prequel (we know what happens to everyone), we got a time-travel story that rebooted the storyline. If those are the only two choices, I prefer the latter.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

i loved JJ trek

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Is that a bad thing? After 80 episodes and 7 movies, the original show's characters were played out. Rather than a predictable prequel (we know what happens to everyone), we got a time-travel story that rebooted the storyline. If those are the only two choices, I prefer the latter.
    Their stories were tapped out which is why they went and created TNG. The abramsverse isn't really "new" Trek, not like how TNG was.

If you want to watch a decent scifi movie, it's not a bad way to kill two hours.

As part of a larger franchise, one that has spanned 40 years, 10 previous movies, 4 live action series and an animated series, it was a load of ********. Reboots are one thing, but this is something else. Fan made stuff like New Voyages or even fan fiction is closer to canon than this movie. Short of Spock being half human, son of Sarek and Amanda, I think everything else was changed.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    Their stories were tapped out which is why they went and created TNG. The abramsverse isn't really "new" Trek, not like how TNG was.
    Originally, Star Trek was to return as Star Trek: Phase II with everyone except Leonard Nimoy. Spock would have been replaced with a full-blooded Vulcan. Due to the success of Star Wars, this was abandoned in favor of Star Trek: The Motion Picture which lead to sequels. When Paramount finally relaunched Star Trek on TV, the original show's cast were older and resigned to feature films. Naturally, a spinoff was the way to go. It wasn't because the original was tapped out. TNG was the exact same premise as the original show, only new people on a new Enterprise a century later.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    As part of a larger franchise, one that has spanned 40 years, 10 previous movies, 4 live action series and an animated series, it was a load of ********. Reboots are one thing, but this is something else. Fan made stuff like New Voyages or even fan fiction is closer to canon than this movie. Short of Spock being half human, son of Sarek and Amanda, I think everything else was changed.
    The whole point was to abandon canon, because Star Trek had grown stale. Aside from cosmetic changes, what was so drastically different? According to the writers, the 2009 movie's timeline doesn't diverge from the 1966-2005 timeline until Nero's ship arrives on the day of Kirk's birth. It's just a time-travel story where the timeline does not get repaired.

The whole point was to abandon canon, because Star Trek had grown stale. Aside from cosmetic changes, what was so drastically different? According to the writers, the 2009 movie's timeline doesn't diverge from the 1966-2005 timeline until Nero's ship arrives on the day of Kirk's birth. It's just a time-travel story where the timeline does not get repaired.
    I actually don't believe that. In fact, I'm probably in a group of fans that believes that a time line other than the canon time line was altered. The thought is that since the Kelvin is so dramatically different than every other Starfleet design it must be part of a different reality.

Of course, this is to keep me in a state of denial of what they did to Romulus in the canon universe.

Finally, why do they have to relaunch the TOS characters to begin with? What's wrong with doing something different and new? Or is that too radical for Hollywood executives to even comprehend?

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    I actually don't believe that. In fact, I'm probably in a group of fans that believes that a time line other than the canon time line was altered. The thought is that since the Kelvin is so dramatically different than every other Starfleet design it must be part of a different reality.
    The movie leaves it open to perception. Those unwilling to accept change can believe the time-travel adventure simply created a second timeline, allowing the original to continue. I subscribe to the idea that this new timeline simply overwrites the original. Given it's just fiction, why not? As for the Kelvin being so dramatically different, it's called cosmetic changes in favor of being more cinematic. It's no different from the Klingons and Borg getting updated for the movies. J.J. Abrams wanted to show his vision of Star Trek rather than continue Roddenberry's vision.

Finally, why do they have to relaunch the TOS characters to begin with? What's wrong with doing something different and new? Or is that too radical for Hollywood executives to even comprehend?
    J.J. Abrams has been quoted as saying that the spinoffs disconnected for him. He wanted to do Star Trek, meaning Kirk and crew on the Enterprise, not a spinoff.

Star Trek going stale was an excuse. Fans didn't like ENT's three season Xindi arc or the time travel elements. It didn't last seven seasons so was stale. It wouldn't have been so stale if they ended the Xindi story a season early and did more of those great two/three parters like season four.

The problem with Star Trek, is the movie doesn't diverge from the original timeline but pisses all over it and calls it rain. There is doing things different to the original, and then there is what Star Trek does.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    Star Trek going stale was an excuse.
    Stale as in people lost interest.

Fans didn't like ENT's three season Xindi arc or the time travel elements. It didn't last seven seasons so was stale. It wouldn't have been so stale if they ended the Xindi story a season early and did more of those great two/three parters like season four.
    First off, the Xindi arc only lasted one season. Second, the Temporal Cold War was barely there. The TCW was only touched upon two or three times a year. It didn't last seven seasons, because of low ratings and studio apathy. Basically, the show was reinvented twice. For two years, we got episodic adventures. The third year brought the Xindi saga. The fourth and final year brought two-parters, trilogies, and a few stand-alones. The theme of the fourth year was also foreshadowing the Federation. Had the show continued, we'd have seen the foundation rather than a flash-forward finale.

The problem with Star Trek, is the movie doesn't diverge from the original timeline but pisses all over it and calls it rain.
    Clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by saberblade View Post
    the problem with star trek, is the movie doesn't diverge from the original timeline but pisses all over it and calls it rain. There is doing things different to the original, and then there is what star trek does.
    green!

Stale as in people lost interest.

First off, the Xindi arc only lasted one season. Second, the Temporal Cold War was barely there. The TCW was only touched upon two or three times a year. It didn't last seven seasons, because of low ratings and studio apathy. Basically, the show was reinvented twice. For two years, we got episodic adventures. The third year brought the Xindi saga. The fourth and final year brought two-parters, trilogies, and a few stand-alones. The theme of the fourth year was also foreshadowing the Federation. Had the show continued, we'd have seen the foundation rather than a flash-forward finale.

Clarify.
    People lost interest because they didn't like what the show did. That's not stale, it's just bad decision making. I wouldn't say Stargate got stale because the SGU producers decided to do something new and people lost interest.

I don't mean the Xindi arc lasted three seasons, I mean the three seasons of "Xindi and time travel elements". Can't really call the Temporal Cold War an arc, the Suliban showed up every so often but there was no real arc. When I say the Xindi arc should have lasted a season less, well what is there to say, it shouldn't have happened. They should have went from two to the stories written for four. Would have been better.

As for clarifying;
    • Enterprise was built in San Francisco, not Iowa (won't get into the built on ground or in space issue). Lame way to connect Kirk with the ship.
    • Chekov was 13 when the movie takes place. He shouldn't have been there.
    • The Enterprise wasn't just launched when the movie took place, it was launched the same year Chekov was born.
    • April, not Pike was first Enterprise Captain.
    • Spock and even Pike had already been on the Enterprise for a few years.
    • What Romulans look like should not have been known for another 10 years or so (from the date of the movie).
    • Beaming onto a ship while it's travelling at warp speed, from a planet. Scotty did some amazing things in TOS, but that was complete BS. Ignores Trek transporter technology. Not even Dominion transporters were that good.Kirk
    • Sulu didn't join the Enterprise and become a helmsman. He was a Scientist and over time, moved to Helm so shouldn't have been positioned there.
    • Spock and Sarek were not that friendly.
    • Vulcan was never destroyed, there is a good one.
    • Kirk being made Captain
    • About to get his ass handed to him for cheating (rather than being commended)

some more I could add, but tired. off to bed

I loved Trek 11(2009), its one of my favorite movies...ever. And I'm not a Trekkie! Or a huge fan of alot of today's movies. IMO it was the "Star Wars" version of Star Trek.

I loved how it kept the original universe intact with the whole alternate timeline/universe scenario. I loved how Old Spock was in the movie. Leonard Nimoy is fantastic.

The music is great too.