This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too little, too late...

I've been following news on this series since the beginning, even though I haven't been watching. I've been looking for something to make me think, "Wow, this new show really is worth seeing." The Novus storyline has really caught my attention, but... did they really have to wait two whole years before using the stargate to go somewhere interesting? My apathy towards the show was largely due to the lack of stargate travel. When they did go somewhere, it was somewhere boring. Was this Novus storyline built up to, or did it just jump out of the blue? I thought I read somewhere that the storyline began in "Twin Destinies."

the premise for it was in twin destinies.

TD story - previous timeline crew dialled earth from within a sun, hit by solar flare while going through the gate, apparently dead.

common descent - apparently the crew in TD ended up time-travelling back 2000 years.

either it was built up, or it was a convenient way to create a possible new story, you decide. but it's fair to say that there was nothing in TD to explicity say the novus story was coming.
    Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

i agree. I wish they just scratched most of season one and just replace them with seasopn 2 episodes. When finally stuff gets interesting....
      .:.
      My Art Blog .:. A J.F. Fan

Comment

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But **** aye. I personally like all of Season Two. I know Season one progressed slow. But I don't think it was that bad as a whole.

If you watch it for individual episodes. You'll be disappointed. It's like BSG in that way. You have to watch it linearly or it doesn't make sense. Although there is another thread where people discuss what could have been changed in season one it's called Changing the order of season one. I will agree it was slow at times. Could have been better. But I don't think there would be this good a season two. If the writers hadn't got into the characters through season one.

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
          I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But **** aye. I personally like all of Season Two. I know Season one progressed slow. But I don't think it was that bad as a whole.

If you watch it for individual episodes. You'll be disappointed. It's like BSG in that way. You have to watch it linearly or it doesn't make sense. Although there is another thread where people discuss what could have been changed in season one it's called Changing the order of season one. I will agree it was slow at times. Could have been better. But I don't think there would be this good a season two. If the writers hadn't got into the characters through season one.
          I did watch all of the SGU episodes in order, but I still was not entertained during most of season 1. The Lucian alliance, stones, this and that, it just wasnt interesting. FInally when the bridge was revealed and recent novus plot, thats when things got interesting...for me at least
          .:.
          My Art Blog .:. A J.F. Fan

Comment

Well, everyone has an opinion.

I've been watching, and a huge fan, of SGU from the first episode. I think it needed the groundwork laid down in the earlier episodes for these episodes, and the interactions of the characters in them, to really make sense.

But anyway, glad some of you are along for the rest of the (extremely short at this point) ride! Enjoy!
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
              I've been watching, and a huge fan, of SGU from the first episode. I think it needed the groundwork laid down in the earlier episodes for these episodes, and the interactions of the characters in them, to really make sense.
              Now it's my turn. This!
              sigpic

Comment

But anyway, glad some of you are along for the rest of the (extremely short at this point) ride! Enjoy!
                Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                Now it's my turn. This!
                What Egle said!
                sigpic

Comment

If you watch it for individual episodes. You'll be disappointed. You have to watch it linearly or it doesn't make sense.
                  That's how I watch any TV series, even if it's a serial. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was a serial; but each episode had a beginning, middle, and end. There were some cliffhangers, but you could watch one episode without an unresolved story most of the time. With SGU, it was too slow, too boring, and... it felt too much like The X Files, meaning storylines that never get resolved.

Comment

While I did find parts of season 1 a bit slow, I don't think these latest episodes would have had so much of an impact if we did not see the hardships and growth the crew went through in season 1.

Comment

These. I agree that I, personally, don't think the latest episodes would have been as good if you hadn't see how the characters grew in season. The characters acted just like anyone would just after being stranded so far away from home that there was almost no chance of getting back IMHO. It was necessary to show the characters as distrusting as the were of each other from the beginning and to see them grow closer together. Otherwise you would just have another Star Trek: Voyager crew. While I did enjoy Voyager, I always felt that there was no conflict with the crew. After they were stranded in the Delta Quadrant they just magically became friendly to each other except for the occasional personal conflict. I am glad the writers didn't go that way and actually showed people that didn't like each other. Case in point: During the mutiny when it was civilian against military Greer was perfectly justified in his distrust of the civilians. By time it came time it was discovered that Volker (sp?) needed a new kidney, you had seen Greer become more friendly toward his fellow crew members.

/ramble
                      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

The Novus plot is interesting but it's secondary to Destiny, her mission and her crew. I'm glad for that. Novus is a story that pertains to a single planet while Destinys story has implications on a universal scale. Pretty compelling.

Comment

So the thread question really is 'did they have to wait this long to write something Snowman37 would find interesting?'. Funnily enough I don't suppose they took that into consideration.

Comment

I don't know if the "ground work" was all that necessary IMO. Given that a lot of folks are no longer with the crew at this point. Dozens or more and only some of those were the LA folks. They're all red shirts at this point.

Spoiler:
                            Two more episodes and boom, series over. The only question is whether that's an administrative or literal BOOM.

I like that something interesting is happening now. And saddened that it took so long. We downloaded the seed ships information how long ago, and how "significant" has it been since then? The whole Young telling Rush to stay here and tell him what data is coming from the seed ship, and yet most of season two later, and has ANYONE even looked at that data? Was it just server logs? Or was something "interesting" in there? To never be seen again. Not that most of it would matter much at this point. Given that the seed ship was a galaxy plus ago. But so much potential IMO, otherwise ignored. Prickly flowers that turn your blood blue and causes hulucinations and other filler IMO. Magic shuttles from beyond. And limited ammo that has no limits. Otherwise a pretty nice series in the end.

Comment

There's been compelling story lines like this from the very beginning. From episode 1, the mystery of destiny began not to mention the tension of trying to find a life line in a heavily damaged ship. By episode 3 the mystery of the blue Aliens began; who's motivation and history are still a compelling mystery. The struggle to get beyond survival come together and create a culture has been ongoing and Epilogue was just a hint of the potential this crew had. They didn't "wait two whole years" for anything. They were telling a compelling story from the beginning. It's a story about human ingenuity in harsh conditions. I found the gate travel much less boring because more often it felt truly alien; something I think unfortunately they've started to abandon in more recent episodes. As someone who has watched from the beginning many episodes several times, these recent episodes are nothing new or unexpected; they are classic SGU. And episode like Life was just as deep and powerful as Epilogue. Any changes to the show have been minor and cosmetic; it's the same quality writing from episode one on.
                              I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Working...
                              X