Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientifically Speaking, Epilogue Was The Series Finale (Geek Closure)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientifically Speaking, Epilogue Was The Series Finale (Geek Closure)

What follows is a super geeky attempt at closure for SGU, but its actually scientifically accurate. Epilogue (S02E18) was the series finale. We have already seen our Rush die, our Destiny Explode, and our characters live out there lives. Some of you may be thinking that I mean this in some symbolic sense. That Epilogue allowed us to have a glimpse of possibility and a feeling of conclusion. No, i don't mean that at all. I mean scientifically speaking, the people we watched grow old and die on Novus were the people we had grown to love.

When Destiny attempted to dial earth within a star, the wormhole created sent the team back in time. Rush was only sent back a brief amount, but the rest of the team was sent back thousands of years. The people that were sent back in time, were the people that we had been watching every week. They were the Destiny crew from the original timeline. When they went back in time, they created an alternate timeline that was now influenced by their actions. The crew on Novus was able to create a society, and Rush was able to warn the new alternate timeline's Destiny crew on how to avert disaster. The crew that was warned by Rush, the crew that we have been watching since that point, is not the crew that we started with. The crew that we met and followed from the beginning grew old and died on Novus. Thats just the facts really. Therefore, we had our conclusion, we had our series finale.

PS: If they reboot this franchise, I'm gonna go nuts. No series has ever developed and stuck with such a complex and rich mythology. Take Star Trek for example. Sure there are a ton of facts about random cultures and wars and events, but rarely does it effect the story. Nothing builds on anything else, **** just happens as they buzz around. Here we actually got to see technological shifts of our own culture, galactic political realignment, characters actually grow and develop personalities based on their experiences…and each time the writers stuck with the continuity and built on it. If you removed any major event in the Stargate franchise mythology, everything topples above it. You take away one alien race encounter, and suddenly humans don't have FTL, don't have Atlantis, don't have communication stones, etc. To have to start over fighting in the sand on Abydos will be too painful.

ummm we never saw OUR Rush die or OUR Destiny explode - they were ALTERNATE timeline versions.

Comment

If this post were true, then OUR crew died back in "Time".

How do you know that the crew we have been following since "Time" isn't the one that was warned by the other Rush?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
        If this post were true, then OUR crew died back in "Time".

How do you know that the crew we have been following since "Time" isn't the one that was warned by the other Rush?
        this

Comment

alternate reality people. in alternate reality world SGU would have ended that way, god forbid our current reality SGU progresses beyond what started in the first episode.
          sigpic

Comment

but if someone is a perfect copy in time, how is that person any different?

scientifically speaking, OUR rush is dead in Time, OUR rush is dead in Twin Destinies. there's no difference between them, not even in the molecules that make up their bodies

Comment

Originally posted by BillBixby View Post
              PS: If they reboot this franchise, I'm gonna go nuts. No series has ever developed and stuck with such a complex and rich mythology. Take Star Trek for example. Sure there are a ton of facts about random cultures and wars and events, but rarely does it effect the story. Nothing builds on anything else, **** just happens as they buzz around. Here we actually got to see technological shifts of our own culture, galactic political realignment, characters actually grow and develop personalities based on their experiences…and each time the writers stuck with the continuity and built on it. If you removed any major event in the Stargate franchise mythology, everything topples above it. You take away one alien race encounter, and suddenly humans don't have FTL, don't have Atlantis, don't have communication stones, etc. To have to start over fighting in the sand on Abydos will be too painful.
              so, vulcan/romulan divide is irrelevant in Trek?

enterprise's portrayal of 'emotional' vulcans is irrelevant?

the film with the romulans and remans didn't happen? (i can't remember the name now)

klingon first contact with humans almost lead to war - something which was a thread through pretty much the entire original series. and if humans didn't play around with alien ships, they'd never have developed cloaking tech.

first contact (film and event) with the vulcans didn't make any difference?

trek and stargate are on entirely different levels - one is current-day, one is future-day. but trek had its political assassinations, border shifts, et cetera. even, in DS9, the dominion war.

it's a different scale, but again, take out one event, and you'd see shifts. not on quite so personal a level as stargate, but trek isn't designed to be entirely on the personal level.
              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                but if someone is a perfect copy in time, how is that person any different?

scientifically speaking, OUR rush is dead in Time, OUR rush is dead in Twin Destinies. there's no difference between them, not even in the molecules that make up their bodies
                Maybe in time this similar particles will cause some trouble , to bad the SGU won't get to that point
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                GW member infractions : 1

Comment

The comments in my PS were just my opinion. Not to be taken too seriously. And you're right about the personal level of the two shows. However, the way time travel works, the alternate timeline must be the one in which Destiny survived.

When a person travels into the past, the moment they arrive they create a divergent timeline from the one they originally left. (this is why every grandfather paradox in fiction actually makes no sense) The only way any causation makes sense, is that Destiny had to be sent back in tome to warn itself. The Destiny that was sent back had to be the original. Basically, the steps go like this. Destiny gets sent back in time. Travel into the past creates a new timeline with duplicate the duplicate Destiny. Duplicate Destiny is warned by rush and doesn't succumb to the same fate as the original.

Honestly, this is the only possible thing that could have happened. The implications of time travel are actually not that complicated (its the actual travel thats the hard part). Any of you who disagree please explain to us how this is incorrect, and what the other explanation would be. (Debating stuff like this is fun no matter who is right)

Comment

I get it now, so if the destiny crew right now were to all die in a big explosion it will be a scientifically complete closure ending. Yeah lets have them all die to complete closure to 100%!!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

thats not at all what i am saying...at all. I hoped for a debate on how time travel operates given what we've been shown in the SG universe (not SGU, but the entire Stargate universe). I wanst trying to start an argument

Comment

The last episode was "Time." It really can't be argued. Those people are dead, dead, dead.

You're talking alternates of alternates. You just gotta say "whatever" at some point.

Besides, isn't "Time" just better written?

"Hey, for a moment there, I thought we were in trouble."

Comment

Originally posted by Python View Post
                          The last episode was "Time." It really can't be argued. Those people are dead, dead, dead.

You're talking alternates of alternates. You just gotta say "whatever" at some point.

Besides, isn't "Time" just better written?

"Hey, for a moment there, I thought we were in trouble."
                          you do know they took that line from another movie right? just saying. "Time" was a good concept but I can also see the potential in the novus story arc. I didn't care much for epilogue, i couldve skipped it and still be game for the next episode. If I had to pick a last episode for me which has nothing to do with alternate realities, would be The Greater Good, everything was mostly settled in that episode with enough bang before it.
                          Last edited by Duneknight; 29 April 2011, 05:23 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Woooow. I cant believe i forgot about "Time", you're totally right Python...really does take the wind out of my rant there.

And Dune I agree, Greater Good was awesome. And the ending was so tragic and sad, it really differentiated SGU in the franchise as the series that was willing to go darker.

I'm just dying to know if they had a plan for what the signal Rush discovered was, or if they were going to just cross their fingers and make it up later.

Comment

Given the intrepid cascade effect set forth in SG1 with the dual carters. All of the alternate time line (or original time line) folks would have to be dead. For any of the current time line folks to still exist without issue. Which is probably why we didn't stick with dual LDP's/Telford's and dual RC's/Rush's. And why we didn't bother keeping 50+ SG1 teams from that other episode.

Comment

Working...
                              X