Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a Star Trek style reboot? Why not a Doctor Who style reboot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why a Star Trek style reboot? Why not a Doctor Who style reboot?

This has nothing to do with whether you like Trek or Doctor Who but with how those shows were brought back. With Stargate going on hiatus much like Star Trek did in the beginning of the last decade, everyone is saying that when it comes back, it needs a Star Trek 2009 style reboot to become popular again. I loved Star Trek 2009, but I don't want to see that done with Stargate. One thing that hit me as I watched the Doctor Who premier this past Saturday was "how come nobody is talking about Doctor Who and how they brought that series back at all?"

I think a Doctor Who style reboot would be much more appropriate for Stargate. When they brought the series back, it wasn't a total reboot with a new universe like Star Trek was. Instead, they simply retooled the series for a modern audience and made it cool again while retaining the lore of the past, yet it wasn't such that you had to have seen every classic episode, you could jump right in and enjoy it yet they could still bring in classic characters like Sarah Jane Smith.

Us Stargate fans love our lore and why not do something like this with Stargate? Retool it for a modern audience, make it cool again, but don't erase the lore. Fashion it in such a way that you can watch it without knowing much of the past series, but you can still bring back loved characters. One of the great things about SG-1 and Atlantis was you didn't have to know much about the past to be able to enjoy it. You could jump in during season 6 of SG-1, watch a few episodes and get the basic jist of the series. Stargate Universe was a bit different, but it too was such that you could start watching the series without having seen much of past Stargate, though obviously its not structured such that you could jump in the middle of season 1 or 2 and understand what's happening or whose who.

That's also what makes Doctor Who great. My mom hasn't watched much of the show but she started watching season 6 with me and enjoyed Saturday's episode. Why can't they hire someone who can do something like this with Stargate? Maybe have something like Doctor Who's formula where you have like a weekly episode but there might be an over-arching season plot. I guess that's not entirely different from how it used to be, and it obviously worked for SG-1 and Atlantis.
    That is just my two cents.

I'd love a Doctor Who style reboot. Love it. That way the past continuity remains intact and not erased.

Comment

I'd don't particularly like reboot's, because most completely wash away what came before. But a Doctor who style reboot could work.
      Last edited by boyd22; 28 April 2011, 01:52 AM.

Comment

This is a really horrible misuse of the word "reboot".
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          This is a really horrible misuse of the word "reboot".
          How so?
          sigpic

Comment

Doctor Who has never been rebooted.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Because there is only one Russell T. Davies.

I would love to see Stargate come back like Doctor Who did but let's see wasn't Doctor Who cancelled (or put on indefinite hiatus) from 1989 with a movie in 1996 and the show finally came back in 2005? That's a long time to wait for Stargate to return.
              My post for Gate World: An Autistic's take on Sci-Fi

Comment

There are many good reasons that a full reboot would be the most realistic and effective.
                Stargate can't be rebooted the way DW was, because the universes are different. The Stargate universe progresses over the course of the series, whereas DW's didn't change that much, so they can't really start from scratch in the same universe.
                By continuing in the same universe, it's limited in what it can actually do. For example, Earth is pretty much at the pinnacle of technology by now, and they've already told pretty much the grandest possible stories, which is why starting over would work much better, because you have those 17 seasons of Stargate to draw upon, without being constrained by them.
                All the sets are gone, so they'd either have to recreate sets that they needed, or work around that. For example, they would need to deal with Atlantis somehow. Say it went back to Pegasus to fight the Wraith, or maybe it got destroyed, or they could shell out to rebuild the whole set and use that on Earth as the main Stargate base. This would be cool and all, but I just don't see them doing that for any reason, so we're stuck with a lame excuse.
                Actor availability will be very limited, if not completely bust, so where did all the characters go?
                People aren't likely to be interested in another extension of the Stargate series, but a full reboot could really draw people's interest.

Comment

technically, any show that has had a hiatus of 5 or more years would technically, have any reemergence of it on television would called a reboot.

Comment

Exactly it was updated and retooled but not rebooted.

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
                    technically, any show that has had a hiatus of 5 or more years would technically, have any reemergence of it on television would called a reboot.
                    Actually no because STNG is not a reboot however NBSG and the current Trek are reboots. A reboot is where the continuity is erased in favor of a brand new one.
                    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      I'd love a Doctor Who style reboot. Love it. That way the past continuity remains intact and not erased.
                      and can be altered and used in any future stories
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I would think less of a reboot - which as some have said is a rewriting, to heck with history and continuity - and more a retooling. Acknowledge most if not all of the chronology, but let's look at things differently. Let's look at things that were done to the franchise that maybe didn't deliver all they could have, and reassess those things, learn from what some would call mistakes, and restart
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i'd hate what they did to dr who myself - the season with chris eccleston was good, but tenant's tenure forced me to stop watching. bright and glowy everywhere, poor writing, and a refusal to have new bad guys - RTD made clear he'll never kill the daleks or cybermen. unless he's changed his tune since the last time i looked at it (which is a good while back now, to be fair) i'm willing to bet every mid-season cliffhanger, and every season finale, is predictable at least in the characters.
                          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
                            Nope. A reboot is taking an existing concept and starting over with it. This is not the case with Doctor Who.

Comment

The only way I can see a Dr Who reboot working 'ever' is if they start with the premise that all Stargate operations were shut down for some dumb reason circa 2012(or whatever) Gate buried, the lot(have them claim they couldn't afford the expense, seems to be a good excuse to kick a lot of things to the kerb in RL!) and then in 2020-something there is a need to reactivate the program or someone stumbles accross the now-buried Gate.
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                              X