No announcement yet.

There But For the Grace of God (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14/15---I guess that I was good at guessing.

36:55. Lots of dark pieces!

Daniel really needs to learn not to touch things!

I really liked this episode. MS did a fabulous job on this one. It was interesting to see how things were different, I especially liked Catherine working there.

I also like that Jack was a jerk because Daniel wasn't around to influence him, which means that Jack wasn't there for Teal'c.

I am not sure that I liked the whole Sam/Jack engagement in this one-- he still looked he had some healing to do. Maybe Sam was helping him through it? I don't know, it didn't mesh with my little brain for some reason.

Overall, an excellent episode!

Comment

Errors :

1. They mention that only 50% have gone through of the Genesis list, but we can't see anywhere the rest of the chosen people.

2. Stargate is showed from a weird angle:
      http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x19/12.jpg
      They must have decreased the size of it. It is also lightened without any reason, while everything else is in dark

3. The blue light is left on, while they try to dial:
      http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x19/05.jpg

4. The usual kawoosh scene. Door is opened, while Teal'c has just shot through it.
      http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x19/08.jpg
      http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x19/09.jpg
      http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x19/10.jpg

5. Also a regular returning mistake. They dial an address, but the 7th symbol,the Tauri is shown between chevron 2 and 3 again.
      http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x19/11.jpg
      Last edited by Platschu; 21 August 2018, 12:38 PM.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Some of them you really gotta wonder whether the editors were fast asleep while they were cutting up the tapes.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I like that scene when the camera zooms on Jack at his execution then the distance of the background is changing even further away. I don't know how this optical illusion called, but very nice and I love it in every movie.

I doubt I can say anything new about a 21 years old episode, but I hope you noticed that the logo of SGC is SGA on the wall in the the alternate timeline.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            I like that scene when the camera zooms on Jack at his execution then the distance of the background is changing even further away. I don't know how this optical illusion called, but very nice and I love it in every movie.
            If I remember correctly from my short film class experience, it's a practical effect by moving the camera while using zoom. It's something technical but the illusion it creates is really cool when done well.

Comment

Thank you.

One more thing. Even if we accept the concept of alternate universes, most of the events should have happened at the same time. So if Apophis attacks Earth in the AU, then it should have happened in our dimension as well at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                If I remember correctly from my short film class experience, it's a practical effect by moving the camera while using zoom. It's something technical but the illusion it creates is really cool when done well.
                They use it again in the last episode of Season 2, IIRC. It's mentioned in the commentary.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  They use it again in the last episode of Season 2, IIRC. It's mentioned in the commentary.
                  Did you just watch the commentary or did you remember it? If it's the latter, can I have your memory-skills?

Comment

I remembered it. I have a very trivial memory, and no, I won't give it to you.

I listened with particular attention to all the commentaries where they discussed effects. I skipped most of PdL's (especially when he was paired with Gary Jones; running fart jokes are not my thing).

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I remembered it. I have a very trivial memory, and no, I won't give it to you.
                      No, you can keep it. Mine is a box full of useless information that when I mention any of it, makes my colleagues give me funny looks.

I skipped most of PdL's (especially when he was paired with Gary Jones; running fart jokes are not my thing).
                      Unfortunately, almost all of SGA's commentaries are done with Gary Jones... and they rarely if ever talk about the episodes. If they couldn't find anyone to do those commentaries, they should just have left well enough alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        No, you can keep it. Mine is a box full of useless information that when I mention any of it, makes my colleagues give me funny looks.
                        I am lucky enough to work in a field where, and with people who think, my trivia is interesting and useful. Of course, I'm selective about what I share (making sure it's mostly work related).

Seaboe

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Ah the good old days of crazy jigsaws.

Comment

I think one of the best parts of There But For the Grace of God is that is shows Daniel coming home and fearing for and wanting to protect his friends, family and the people of Earth. For so long Abydos had been his home and the place he wanted to get back to, the life he had set up with his wife but this episode shows almost a revitalization of his wanting to protect Earth. From this point on Abydos seems to become a "home away from home" and he definitely still loves the people and culture and he goes out of his way to protect Abydos but this episode finally shows that he has returned home. Alternate Universe episodes for me are tricky-sometimes I like/enjoy them and sometimes i don't. One part i don't particularly like about There But For the Grace of God is the Jack/Sam romance-to me it feels too early after the death of Charlie and the breakdown of Jack's marriage to Sara. I am not against the idea of a Jack/Sam relationship but it created an annoyance with the fans when the two never became a couple but to become a couple one of them would have had to give up their life in the Air Force which for the majority of SG-1 was one of the only ways a person could go through the Stargate. One part i do like about the show is that our characters in the alternate universe did not survive because many sci-fi shows like to give civilizations/stories/characters happy endings rather than ones that made you think for example: if alternate Jack listened to Daniel and didn't nuke alternate Chulak would alternate Teal'c turn against his oppressors?

Comment

Working...
                              X