There But For the Grace of God (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denisa View Post
    Admittedly I skipped first ten episodes so didn`t see that they were toying with it at the beginning
    I never had the impression that they were toying with the idea in the beginning of the first season. However, I really quoted this because you made me very curious with your "I skipped the first 10 episodes". What made you do that?

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      I never had the impression that they were toying with the idea in the beginning of the first season.
      If they had, I would never have watched SG1.
      Never would have watched SGA either.

Oh, that's a sad notion to realize.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

What relationship in SGA, Falcon Horus? I haven't seen all of that, so have remained a little behind on the shipping (other than references to John/Rodney).

I can't think of a single show I've ever watched for the ship. ETA: oh, wait. Lois & Clark. But then, there the ship was the show.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

What relationship in SGA, Falcon Horus? I haven't seen all of that, so have remained a little behind on the shipping (other than references to John/Rodney).
          I mean, Sam/Jack in SG1 -- if that was meant to be from the beginning, I certainly didn't pick up on it, and if it had been so I wouldn't have watched the show to the end (barely struggled through season 4 as it is).

I don't know about SGA though -- McShep is in the eye of the beholder, but damn... the beholder's eyesight has to be really bad not to see something there. Bromance before the word became popular.

I don't watch for ship either -- they just sorta jump out, like all of a sudden there's a click in my brain... Hence why most of the ships I ship (and I multiship like hell) are not canon.

Comment

I never had the impression that they were toying with the idea in the beginning of the first season. However, I really quoted this because you made me very curious with your "I skipped the first 10 episodes". What made you do that?

Seaboe
            By toying with it I meant that the characters were flirting sometimes and that there were a couple scenes where there was shown an atraction, which after a couple episodes quickly stopped. I didn`t mean the show was going pursue any relationship.

As for the answer to your question. I was aware the show existed for years, but never really got into it (never really watched a full episode). I tried several times when it was on TV, but it didn`t catch my attention. But last year when it started on TV again from the beginning I decided to give it a try, particularly because it was on at the time I usually have TV turned on. I watched episodes on and off or as a filler until I started realize that the show has actually really good stories and then came episodes that really caught my attention. I had no idea, that by the end of season I`ll become a big fan and the show end up right among my top favorite.

Comment

I can understand that.

I didn't watch the show until it was on DVD, and I started by watching episodes my BFF, my brother, and his family recommended. When I started buying the set, I watched them all (almost).

However, I would never have watched the show at all if I had to put up with cliff-hangers and commercial breaks in real time.

Seaboe

Comment

I know what you mean by cliff-hangers. What I`ve seen from show so far (season 1-5) every one of them ended with one. Adding to it the fact that back then we from outside USA had to wait sometimes even two years for new season, I `would have probably given up on show myself.
                But otherwise I don`t mind watching on TV, commercials and all. I kinda like looking forward to a new episode in my case every work day.

It`s for me interesting that you watched first selected episodes, because in my opinion SG-1 works best watched in order, at least for me. When I was rewatching several selected episodes, most of the time I had a feeling they were pulled out of context. I was even surprised a bit how well SG-1 works as a whole and how the episodes connects to each othe through feel and slight development of characters and story.

Comment

I watched the selected episodes in season order, though, which may make a difference.

Yeah, the continuity and reference back to earlier episodes is one of the things I like about Stargate.

For me, the trouble with watching TV in real time is that the commercial interruptions make me very aware of the dramatic structure of the shows (act 1-3: set up, act 4: climax, act 5: resolution), and I lose my suspension of disbelief.

Seaboe

Comment

It's interesting to note that when Daniel is looking at the map of all the bombed cities, all the countries who used to worship the old Norse gods were left untouched.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Maybe those cities were not 'Strategically important'??

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Maybe those cities were not 'Strategically important'??
                        Considering their "agreement" with the Asgard, I'm guessing those "small" areas as ceded to them and are avoiding them. I'm betting once the rest of the planet it conquered, they probably would try to take those on (maybe with limited success? How many "Thor's Hammers" are out there?)

Comment

The episode with the longest title in season 1 and quite possibly the most action too.

Our first run in with the quantum mirror and trip to an alternate universe. A place that looks the same, feels the same but has subtle differences, and of course is being shot to kingdom come by the Goa'uld. How unfortunate for them, though lucky for us when Daniel figures out what the message says. His sarcasm is sublime.

I really enjoy this episode a lot. Then again, I am a bit of a what-if fan so this is like ticking all the right boxes for me.

It's a tragic end for the alternate reality but their legacy will save ours... well, hopefully save ours. At least that's what Daniel is hoping for at least.

Teal'c's ponytail though. An Egyptian touch of fashion, not seen since the original film. Really enjoyed that little throwback.

How would you rate SG-1's "There But For the Grace of God?"

Excellent
                          Good
                          Fair
                          Poor
                          Terrible

Comment

Bringing forth the 3-episode quiz:

Solitudes -- Tin Man -- There But For The Grace Of God

Jigsaw --> There But For The Grace Of God
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 26 November 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I'm not the biggest fan on S1. Its all over the place with some good episodes but also a lot of bad episodes That side I love what I call the season finale arc which starts with this episode. More than anything I like seeing the Doomsday scenario. With Stargate set in the present its hard to project what a Goa'uld invasion. Although I really want to know how Hammond and Jack switched ranks. I also wanted to Teal'c with that ponytail because it looked ridiculous. Really what makes this episode great is the what if scenario of the Goa'uld invaded. I am at a lost how slow the Jaffa are at dialing a gate. A DHD is supposed to be so much faster than our computer. This is a good for me

12/15 on the quiz. I really struggled with the Solitude questions and 18;36 on the puzzle
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

24 minutes and 19 seconds
                                Not bad for 3am in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X