Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Staff Sergeant Yipikyyaysupremecommanderthor's Avatar

Earth Symbol problem in the epsiode

How does a few crewmembers increase to millions thats alot of incest...

im saying that that few cant create two thousand years of generations....

I didnt see any genetic disfigurements or disablitities so im thinking that they decided not to think that one through enough.... its disgusting but other than that it was a pretty good episode...lol i couldnt get the thought of the incest out of my head watching it
    WELCOME TO END OF THE WORLD.....IM AM OZZYMANDIAS KING OF KINGS LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR

Default Re: problem in the epsiode

Your answer can be found by understanding this concept: Pedigree Collapse

We came from somewhere.

Besides, when you reproduce for survival and not recreation, each family probably had close to two digits worth of kids.

Also, marrying and having kids with 2nd or 3rd cousins is completely acceptable when it comes to genetics. Getting with a 1st cousin is pushing it a little, but still isn't unheard of.

I think I remember one of them saying they had 9 kids and 15 grandchildren. That's not abnormal when you reproduce for survival.

____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

There is a nice long thread on the "Common Descent" discussion on just this topic:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...etic-Diversity

Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

As stated above, I'd suggest reading up on the numerous threads that are floating around concerning this subject. A lot of them contain some pretty viable theories on how this was possible and I'm pretty sure most of them don't cite incest as a reason.
    ~*+*~nEvEr ArGuE WiTh aN iDiOt - ThEy WiLL jUsT dRaG yOu DoWn To ThEiR LeVeL aNd BeAt YoU WiTh ExPeRiEnCe~*+*~

Quote Originally Posted by Azriel View Post
    As stated above, I'd suggest reading up on the numerous threads that are floating around concerning this subject. A lot of them contain some pretty viable theories on how this was possible and I'm pretty sure most of them don't cite incest as a reason.
    Yeap people should read them , and then listen to the population genetic teacher or something like that , i heard that there is one around here .

Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

it's simple proof by result: they survived long enough to develop IVF (the ideal countermeasure to genetic degradation), thus the original gene pool was sufficiently diverse to get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Yipikyyaysupremecommanderthor View Post
    How does a few crewmembers increase to millions thats alot of incest...

im saying that that few cant create two thousand years of generations....

I didnt see any genetic disfigurements or disablitities so im thinking that they decided not to think that one through enough.... its disgusting but other than that it was a pretty good episode...lol i couldnt get the thought of the incest out of my head watching it
    Ummm...there were quite a bit more than a "few" people on board destiny.

Greenfire,

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfire32 View Post
    We came from somewhere.

Besides, when you reproduce for survival and not recreation, each family probably had close to two digits worth of kids.

Also, marrying and having kids with 2nd or 3rd cousins is completely acceptable when it comes to genetics. Getting with a 1st cousin is pushing it a little, but still isn't unheard of.

I think I remember one of them saying they had 9 kids and 15 grandchildren. That's not abnormal when you reproduce for survival.
    Charles Darwin's wife was also his first Cousin.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Greer and Park alone had 22 kids/grandkids. Varro and James had 7, if I recall correctly. That's an awful lot of kids in an awfully short time. An increase of about 700-800% If they kept going like that for a century or two I have no trouble believing Novus had millions of people.

Remember: 2000 years. That's a long time. In that time the population on Earth went from millions to billions, despite incredibly short lifespans ( 30-40 years if lucky ) for the majority of that period, diseases, wars, starvation, plague etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    Charles Darwin's wife was also his first Cousin.
    Which is why I said,
    Getting with a 1st cousin is pushing it a little, but still isn't unheard of.

Greenfire,

Which is why I said,
    Understood. It was simply an FYI.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    Understood. It was simply an FYI.
    Oh. I see.

If I'm not mistaken, there was known 5 couples from the main characters. Assumed there will be another 5 to 7 random couples from the rest of at least 60 survivors. For a dozen couples only and after 2000 years become millions is falling short. It should be a couple of billions at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinary View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, there was known 5 couples from the main characters. Assumed there will be another 5 to 7 random couples from the rest of at least 60 survivors. For a dozen couples only and after 2000 years become millions is falling short. It should be a couple of billions at least.
    Maybe they weren't like rabbits...once there was a good population and genetic diversity...things slowed down.

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Maybe they weren't like rabbits...once there was a good population and genetic diversity...things slowed down.
    Agreed. Once you reach the point where you no longer need to reproduce for survival, things most likely slowed down and the more "traditional" family started showing up.

I think it was a bit unfortunate they didn't implement some mass breeding policy. From a communitarian perspective there is no good excuse for first generation fertile females like Wray not reproducing. She should really have taken one for the team.

Again from a communitarian perspective it's very unsetteling to see such discrepancies in reproduction rates, I mean who did the offspring of Greer and Park end up having sex with exactly??
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

My guesses is pollution was dictating the human population growth. In fact, it also given similar effect to animals population growth too.

Probably, the same thing happened at Novus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayston View Post
    I think it was a bit unfortunate they didn't implement some mass breeding policy. From a communitarian perspective there is no good excuse for first generation fertile females like Wray not reproducing. She should really have taken one for the team.

Again from a communitarian perspective it's very unsetteling to see such discrepancies in reproduction rates, I mean who did the offspring of Greer and Park end up having sex with exactly??
    There was a lot of people with Asian features in Common Descent. I know Eli and Barnes (does anyone know who this is??) had some kids, but I'm more than sure that Wray "did her duty" for the sake of the colony. She did say that she already has a soul mate (on Earth), so we know she's not too interested in hooking up with anyone else, but that doesn't mean she didn't pop out a few for the sake of the colony.

There was a lot of people with Asian features in Common Descent. I know Eli and Barnes (does anyone know who this is??) had some kids, but I'm more than sure that Wray "did her duty" for the sake of the colony. She did say that she already has a soul mate (on Earth), so we know she's not too interested in hooking up with anyone else, but that doesn't mean she didn't pop out a few for the sake of the colony.
    Park is asian. Wray, to the best of our collective knowledge, did not have any kids. Especially since they didn't show her giving birth as they did with all of the other important cast members. Cuold also attribute to why she outlasted all of the others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast