problem in the epsiode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem in the epsiode

How does a few crewmembers increase to millions thats alot of incest...

im saying that that few cant create two thousand years of generations....

I didnt see any genetic disfigurements or disablitities so im thinking that they decided not to think that one through enough.... its disgusting but other than that it was a pretty good episode...lol i couldnt get the thought of the incest out of my head watching it
    sigpicWELCOME TO END OF THE WORLD.....IM AM OZZYMANDIAS KING OF KINGS LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR

Your answer can be found by understanding this concept: Pedigree Collapse

Comment

We came from somewhere.

Besides, when you reproduce for survival and not recreation, each family probably had close to two digits worth of kids.

Also, marrying and having kids with 2nd or 3rd cousins is completely acceptable when it comes to genetics. Getting with a 1st cousin is pushing it a little, but still isn't unheard of.

I think I remember one of them saying they had 9 kids and 15 grandchildren. That's not abnormal when you reproduce for survival.
      sigpic
      ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

There is a nice long thread on the "Common Descent" discussion on just this topic:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...etic-Diversity
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

As stated above, I'd suggest reading up on the numerous threads that are floating around concerning this subject. A lot of them contain some pretty viable theories on how this was possible and I'm pretty sure most of them don't cite incest as a reason.
          ~*+*~nEvEr ArGuE WiTh aN iDiOt - ThEy WiLL jUsT dRaG yOu DoWn To ThEiR LeVeL aNd BeAt YoU WiTh ExPeRiEnCe~*+*~

Comment

Originally posted by Azriel View Post
            As stated above, I'd suggest reading up on the numerous threads that are floating around concerning this subject. A lot of them contain some pretty viable theories on how this was possible and I'm pretty sure most of them don't cite incest as a reason.
            Yeap people should read them , and then listen to the population genetic teacher or something like that , i heard that there is one around here .
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
            StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
            GW member infractions : 1

Comment

it's simple proof by result: they survived long enough to develop IVF (the ideal countermeasure to genetic degradation), thus the original gene pool was sufficiently diverse to get that far.

Comment

Originally posted by Yipikyyaysupremecommanderthor View Post
                How does a few crewmembers increase to millions thats alot of incest...

im saying that that few cant create two thousand years of generations....

I didnt see any genetic disfigurements or disablitities so im thinking that they decided not to think that one through enough.... its disgusting but other than that it was a pretty good episode...lol i couldnt get the thought of the incest out of my head watching it
                Ummm...there were quite a bit more than a "few" people on board destiny.
                sigpic

Comment

Greenfire,

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                  We came from somewhere.

Besides, when you reproduce for survival and not recreation, each family probably had close to two digits worth of kids.

Also, marrying and having kids with 2nd or 3rd cousins is completely acceptable when it comes to genetics. Getting with a 1st cousin is pushing it a little, but still isn't unheard of.

I think I remember one of them saying they had 9 kids and 15 grandchildren. That's not abnormal when you reproduce for survival.
                  Charles Darwin's wife was also his first Cousin.
                  All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Greer and Park alone had 22 kids/grandkids. Varro and James had 7, if I recall correctly. That's an awful lot of kids in an awfully short time. An increase of about 700-800% If they kept going like that for a century or two I have no trouble believing Novus had millions of people.

Remember: 2000 years. That's a long time. In that time the population on Earth went from millions to billions, despite incredibly short lifespans ( 30-40 years if lucky ) for the majority of that period, diseases, wars, starvation, plague etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                      Charles Darwin's wife was also his first Cousin.
                      Which is why I said,
                      Getting with a 1st cousin is pushing it a little, but still isn't unheard of.
                      sigpic

Comment

Greenfire,

Which is why I said,
                        Understood. It was simply an FYI.
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                          Understood. It was simply an FYI.
                          Oh. I see.
                          sigpic

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, there was known 5 couples from the main characters. Assumed there will be another 5 to 7 random couples from the rest of at least 60 survivors. For a dozen couples only and after 2000 years become millions is falling short. It should be a couple of billions at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                              If I'm not mistaken, there was known 5 couples from the main characters. Assumed there will be another 5 to 7 random couples from the rest of at least 60 survivors. For a dozen couples only and after 2000 years become millions is falling short. It should be a couple of billions at least.
                              Maybe they weren't like rabbits...once there was a good population and genetic diversity...things slowed down.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X