Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: ALS cure..

  1. #1
    Major Puddle-Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The TARDIS... Also UCC...
    Posts
    2,353

    Default ALS cure..

    I was just thinking about this... okay it wasn't in the imformation they brought up from the planet, but wouldn't the first colonists they collected have at least one doctor with them? like if your sending people out to colonise a planet, Id think you'd send at least 1 doctor. Similarly wouldn't there be a doctor on the planet where they are going to drop off the settlers, they seemed to be evacuating most of Novus to that planet so there must be quite a few doctors right... Also since Yazou knew about it, other people from his colony probably would too, some of them might even knoe the basis of a cure. And of course the Novian ships, why can't Destiny simply find them, I know space is big and all that, but we saw earlier on in the season that Destiny detected the energy signatures of the debris field, which was a days journey FTL away, so why couldn't Destiny just make the trip in like 12 hour segments, stopping each time scanning for the novian ships and moving on.

    And finally who can forget Perry and Ginn, we saw they had access to the ships medical database before, like if the Novans had a cure for ALS so did the ancients.. they just probably didn't call it ALS so it would be difficult to find fair enough.. but why not just let them out of whatever Eli put them in and ask them...
    I dunno what to put in here now..

  2. #2
    Captain tomstone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    I was just thinking about this... okay it wasn't in the imformation they brought up from the planet, but wouldn't the first colonists they collected have at least one doctor with them? like if your sending people out to colonise a planet, Id think you'd send at least 1 doctor. Similarly wouldn't there be a doctor on the planet where they are going to drop off the settlers, they seemed to be evacuating most of Novus to that planet so there must be quite a few doctors right... Also since Yazou knew about it, other people from his colony probably would too, some of them might even knoe the basis of a cure. And of course the Novian ships, why can't Destiny simply find them, I know space is big and all that, but we saw earlier on in the season that Destiny detected the energy signatures of the debris field, which was a days journey FTL away, so why couldn't Destiny just make the trip in like 12 hour segments, stopping each time scanning for the novian ships and moving on.

    And finally who can forget Perry and Ginn, we saw they had access to the ships medical database before, like if the Novans had a cure for ALS so did the ancients.. they just probably didn't call it ALS so it would be difficult to find fair enough.. but why not just let them out of whatever Eli put them in and ask them...
    I was thinking the same thing. Though I kind of expect Destiny to be able to pick up the Novans Ships on the fly. At least we always assumed that Destiny gets its Data from the Gates while being in FTL whenever they get in range. So theoretically it should be possible for Destiny to monitor radiowaves while travelling FTL.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

  3. #3
    Captain morbosfist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Having a doctor and knowing the cure are two different things. They're different areas of study in the field.

    Finding the Novan ships isn't as easy. The aren't as advanced and thus not as easy to detect. Destiny only found the battlefield because there were a lot of ships emitting energy.

    If Ginn and Perry could be let out that easy, Eli would have done it already.

  4. #4
    Captain tomstone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    Having a doctor and knowing the cure are two different things. They're different areas of study in the field.

    Finding the Novan ships isn't as easy. The aren't as advanced and thus not as easy to detect. Destiny only found the battlefield because there were a lot of ships emitting energy.

    If Ginn and Perry could be let out that easy, Eli would have done it already.
    Wasnt in the Debris field just one ship that was sending out a SOS? The rest of the Ships where well destroyed and thats a pretty weak signal. So if Destiny goes into the same Direction as them they may just pick up the Ships signals along the way.

    Ginn and Perry can be let out fairly easy, thing is that after what happened with Rush, Young will probably not want to take the Chance of one of them loosing it. Especially Amanda seems very unstable after everything she has been through in life.

    Shouldn´t a Doctor know the Basics? I guess a cure for a Desease like that cant be reinvented just that easily, but Destinies Crew now has some of the Info from the Novans and the Ancients. There has to be something in there that can help.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

  5. #5
    Second Lieutenant Shylodog's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    The Novans cured a genetic disease 200 years ago. With it being cured, it would no longer be passed down through the genes and therefore no reason for any doctors to have to study how to cure it. Especially if the explaination for the cure is already in the archive.

    Any doctors on any of the settlements would not know from memory how to cure it at this point, since the disease (in theory) no longer exists. They would have to rely on the reference material.

  6. #6
    Captain morbosfist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    Wasnt in the Debris field just one ship that was sending out a SOS? The rest of the Ships where well destroyed and thats a pretty weak signal. So if Destiny goes into the same Direction as them they may just pick up the Ships signals along the way.
    The energy signature they detected was from the residual radiation of the entire field.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    Ginn and Perry can be let out fairly easy, thing is that after what happened with Rush, Young will probably not want to take the Chance of one of them loosing it. Especially Amanda seems very unstable after everything she has been through in life.
    How do you know? Eli said he quarantined them. Maybe that's hard to undo. And Amanda is not unstable. She was negligent, that's it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    Shouldn´t a Doctor know the Basics? I guess a cure for a Desease like that cant be reinvented just that easily, but Destinies Crew now has some of the Info from the Novans and the Ancients. There has to be something in there that can help.
    Doctors aren't pharmacists. Even if they did have a doc with a basic idea of what the cure contained, he wouldn't know how to make it.

  7. #7
    First Lieutenant Greenfire32's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    816

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    I was just thinking about this... okay it wasn't in the imformation they brought up from the planet, but wouldn't the first colonists they collected have at least one doctor with them? like if your sending people out to colonise a planet, Id think you'd send at least 1 doctor. Similarly wouldn't there be a doctor on the planet where they are going to drop off the settlers, they seemed to be evacuating most of Novus to that planet so there must be quite a few doctors right...
    Just like how the Destiny has a doctor too, right? And, yeah, I know the whole "emergency evac" thing from Icarus kind of forced their hand, but still. Plus, there are different doctors for different medical subjects. An Optometrist knows nothing that a Dermatologist does and vice verse.

    Besides, they had been there for 30 years. Maybe the doctor died since then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Also since Yazou knew about it, other people from his colony probably would too, some of them might even knoe the basis of a cure.
    I know there's a cure for Polio and Smallpox. Doesn't mean I could tell you what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    And of course the Novian ships, why can't Destiny simply find them, I know space is big and all that, but we saw earlier on in the season that Destiny detected the energy signatures of the debris field, which was a days journey FTL away, so why couldn't Destiny just make the trip in like 12 hour segments, stopping each time scanning for the novian ships and moving on.
    A) debris field was a stationary target, not a constantly moving one.

    B) Novian ships, while lacking FTL or Hyperdrives, probably travel at close to light speed. This more than likely subjects them to time-dilation effects and might be, literally, untraceable by the Destiny.

    C) You would burn out the FTL engines so fast using this method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    And finally who can forget Perry and Ginn, we saw they had access to the ships medical database before, like if the Novans had a cure for ALS so did the ancients.. they just probably didn't call it ALS so it would be difficult to find fair enough.. but why not just let them out of whatever Eli put them in and ask them...
    Firstly, the Ancients were a different lifeform. This has been stated numerous times throughout Stargate. While they were technically human, they had other...."properties" about them that made them different. They may never have suffered from ALS, same name or not. Secondly, ALS is a genetic disease and if there was a cure, it would have irradicated ALS much like how Polio and Smallpox have been. It is more than likely that doctors would have to look up the cure as they wouldn't be familiar with something that was used once 200 years ago. And lastly, if releasing a downloaded human consciousness from electronic quarantine was really that easy, it would have happened. The crew of Destiny are people. Not miracle workers.

    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

  8. #8
    Lieutenant General thekillman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My Throne in Heaven
    Posts
    18,742

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    The Novans cured a genetic disease 200 years ago. With it being cured, it would no longer be passed down through the genes and therefore no reason for any doctors to have to study how to cure it. Especially if the explaination for the cure is already in the archive.

    no offense but the general doctor doesn't know cures. he knows what symptoms link to what disease and what cure is meant for that disease. the pharmacist does know

  9. #9
    Ned Low Lahela's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    I'll get back to you on that...
    Posts
    11,967

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    I wonder if the evacuees who left before the Novus gate was lost took a copy of the archive with them. Unlikely, but worth TJ asking when they get to the resettlement planet.

  10. #10
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,188

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    no offense but the general doctor doesn't know cures. he knows what symptoms link to what disease and what cure is meant for that disease. the pharmacist does know
    Ummm...no...a pharmacist only gives out medications. The prescription for the medication is written by a doctor...doctors diagnose the illness and prescribe a method of treatment. A pharmacist may have knowledge of what drugs treat what illness, but they are not qualified to diagnose an illness and they are not qualified to write a prescription for medication. Only doctors can do that.

  11. #11
    Second Lieutenant traylormatt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    But as the OP said, maybe on the planet they are going to would have a doctor. They said they evacuated most of the people before and then once the gate was lost they built the ships right. so I think it would be pretty safe to assume there would be a doctor or someone who knows how to make the drug. Out of everyone that would be evacuated, someone would know how to do it. Not the people from the small colony, but the planet the ships are going to. Also I definitely believe they could have taken a version of their archive. Maybe not everything but at least medical knowledge.

    Oh and with ALS, though in some cases it is genetic, with the majority of cases it is still unknown what the cause it. So they may still have it even after the cure is created.

  12. #12
    Major Puddle-Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The TARDIS... Also UCC...
    Posts
    2,353

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Okay okay okay okay, everyone is saying that a doctor wouldn't know about that and how to make the treatment etc... well they were evacuating their civilisation so there would have to be doctors, and pharmacists, and geneticists and everything else. If not on the colony then without a doubt on the ship.

    @Greenfire32, The only other people we've seen be capable of moving that fast, close to the speed of light, are the ancients with a ZPM.. and while the Novans are no doubt advanced. They are NOT ancients, infact they've shown no signs of been that advanced at all, infact in many ways they are less advanced then earth. So no they're not moving close to the speed of light. Finding the ship should not have been a problem for Destiny, even if it took them months would anyone onboard have any problem with that??
    I dunno what to put in here now..

  13. #13
    Second Lieutenant Shylodog's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Finding the ship should not have been a problem for Destiny, even if it took them months would anyone onboard have any problem with that??
    Rush would.

  14. #14
    Captain tomstone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,506

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post

    How do you know? Eli said he quarantined them. Maybe that's hard to undo. And Amanda is not unstable. She was negligent, that's it.
    Point is that letting them out is Dangerous and we can only hope that they are in a sleepstate while in Quarantine, because I would be pissed when coming out and so might they. If Eli can put them in, then he can get them out again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shylodog View Post
    Rush would.
    Rush would kill the Easterbunny.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

  15. #15
    Captain morbosfist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Finding the ship should not have been a problem for Destiny, even if it took them months would anyone onboard have any problem with that??
    Finding the ship would be a problem. It's several decades into space and they have no idea where to look. You can't just up and decide you want something found. It's lost in the void, and they have absolutely no chance of coming across it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomstone View Post
    Point is that letting them out is Dangerous and we can only hope that they are in a sleepstate while in Quarantine, because I would be pissed when coming out and so might they. If Eli can put them in, then he can get them out again.
    Your logic fails on many levels.

    One, how are they dangerous? Rush consented to the procedure. Mandy's negligence aside, he put himself there. What else makes them dangerous? I didn't see Mandy gassing the crew or electrifying entire sections. Rush was in no immediate danger in her simulation, and she'd have given up eventually.

    Two, the idea that Eli could just reverse the process. If it was so easy, why not do it? As has been established, your idea that they were a threat is total nonsense, so that's not an issue. So what's stopping him? He hasn't gotten around to it?

    Three, the idea that they would be pissed. This is just foolish. Ginn knew the consequences and told Eli to do it. Mandy accepted her fate. They wouldn't be mad.

  16. #16
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,188

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    Finding the ship would be a problem. It's several decades into space and they have no idea where to look. You can't just up and decide you want something found. It's lost in the void, and they have absolutely no chance of coming across it.
    Oh ye of little faith...it could be done. Especially if the Novan's intended course was in the archive that Destiny found.

  17. #17
    Captain morbosfist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Oh ye of little faith...it could be done. Especially if the Novan's intended course was in the archive that Destiny found.
    Their destination is in there. Their course is not. Without their exact course, Destiny doesn't have a chance of finding them. The only reason they even found the battlefield is because they stumbled upon it.

  18. #18
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,188

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    Their destination is in there. Their course is not. Without their exact course, Destiny doesn't have a chance of finding them. The only reason they even found the battlefield is because they stumbled upon it.
    Again...I don't think its impossible. Just when you say something is impossible...its made possible. People once thought the Earth was flat..and that it would be impossible to fly...

  19. #19
    Captain morbosfist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    There's a difference between ignorance and odds. Finding the ships would be realistically impossible. It's not a matter of know-how, it's a matter of scale. The scale is so unfathomably huge that it would take them an unacceptably long time to even get close to finding the ships. For reference, when they tried this with Atlantis, the Apollo had to make something like 300 jumps to scan the area, and they can jump instantly. Compare to Destiny, which has to spend seven hours waiting. That's nearly ninety days of searching right there, assuming Destiny can scan the same distance as the Apollo. If it can't, and the likelihood that it can't is extremely high, then that number doubles or even triples.

  20. #20
    Second Lieutenant Shylodog's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: ALS cure..

    They didn't stumble upon it. They diverted their course specifically to check it out after it was detected on sensors..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cure (610)
    By GateWorld in forum SG-1 Season 6
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: August 5th, 2020, 02:02 AM
  2. Overlooked Asgard Cure
    By TrueLordOfNetu in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: April 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
  3. Cure (704)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Seven Episodes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 24th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •