Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's Databank Size

Spoiler:
    So I was recalling Volker mentioning to Brody that 900 exabytes was a drop in the bucket—I'm not sure if he was referring to the overall amount of data in the archives or the storage capacity of Destiny's computer.

Which brings me to my question: How big would you speculate Destiny's storage capacity is? I realize this is somewhat futile since it's a different type of technology and it's been storing information that's unlike anything we store on our own (e.g. traces of a signal in the CBR) but if you had to apply Earth measurements to it, how big would you guess it had to be?

I would guest we would be talking about several million googol times the amount of data we can store on Earth at the very least possible more.
    Last edited by knowles2; 28 April 2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

It could use some sort of synapse-like computer that could store near infinite amounts of info and stuff could be compressed when not in use.

Comment

It's as big as the plot needs it to be
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Holy crap, 900 exabytes. 1 exabyte is 1 million terabytes.
          I just looked up how much that is. 1 exabyte is 800x more than Google. There are only 16 or so exabytes of space on all the hard drives in the world.

How big it's databank must be. a Yottabyte possibly?

Comment

I believe it has to some sort of organic storage, as ive said before, Destiny has shown signs of sentience herself.

Also, bear in mind that Destiny data banks have held 3 peoples full consciousnesses and 1 partial one for a small amount of time, with NO problem to normal memory operations whatsoever.

N.C

Comment

Well destiny is huge, and the ancients have shown that they can store info on the nano scale. for all we know the info could be stored in the atoms that make up the ships walls. That being said we havnt seen the server room yet hahaha
              sigpic

Comment

it goes beyond the SI system

Comment

Well destiny is huge, and the ancients have shown that they can store info on the nano scale. for all we know the info could be stored in the atoms that make up the ships walls. That being said we havnt seen the server room yet hahaha
                  I think we have seen part of it. The large orange tubes that Eli and Chloe found could be them. It could be some type of organic/liquid memory system, who knows.

Comment

Ooh you guys are talking about the big vats that we saw when Eli and Chloe were walking back in incursion. Now I follow lol, I was picturing organics like a wraith hive.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good question.
                      At first glance the databank size must be enormous, but i gave it some thought (a few mins ) and i wonder how big it necessarily needs to be? Someone mentioned google, idk why as google just indexes sites, not making copies of them. sure they have an cache type of system irrc, dunno how it works though. Anyway, I think that wikipedia is a better starting point. Also since the ancients only used one language they didn't need their database to be in other languages. Wikipedia is not big, especially without pics. Sure Destiny was loaded with the ancients to-date state of technology before launch and has acquired lots during its journey, but if that is all text and audio, then it doesn't have to be all that big.
                      However i think the capacity of Destiny is another question all-together, and i have no original ideas, yet

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
                        As long as it is not made by microsoft, we are ok

As to size.. i say it has to be large. Not just for storing all the ships info, but all the info it has on all those planets/galaxies it has documented, PLUS all the info the seed ships feed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Furliciousy2k9 View Post
                          Good question.
                          At first glance the databank size must be enormous, but i gave it some thought (a few mins ) and i wonder how big it necessarily needs to be? Someone mentioned google, idk why as google just indexes sites, not making copies of them. sure they have an cache type of system irrc, dunno how it works though. Anyway, I think that wikipedia is a better starting point. Also since the ancients only used one language they didn't need their database to be in other languages. Wikipedia is not big, especially without pics. Sure Destiny was loaded with the ancients to-date state of technology before launch and has acquired lots during its journey, but if that is all text and audio, then it doesn't have to be all that big.
                          However i think the capacity of Destiny is another question all-together, and i have no original ideas, yet
                          they probably meant Google, the number, not the search engine
                          Last edited by General Jumper One; 27 April 2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

lol that would really ruin your day. Your planet explodes, you get thrown to the other side of the universe through a wormhole, your running out of food water and air . . . and then you find out that all the ancient terminals run on mac hahaha
                            sigpic

Comment

maybe all the data is store in subspace...

Comment

Working...
                              X