Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Dr. Rush a "Bad guy" what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Dr. Rush a "Bad guy" what do you think?

What does the forum think? Is Dr. Rush a good guy or a bad guy? I can't make up my mind. Sometimes he seems like he's on the "up and up" and othertimes he seems so devious and only has HIS best interests in mind, not anyone else's. If this is in the wrong section please move this. I am not sure if this is in the right section because I thought this just talked about the characters of the show and most of the questions I see on this thread is This character likes this other character.

nicky started out working against everyone but once he discovered destiny's true mission and getting beating up by young again made him realize that he needs to the crew to succeed. thus becoming equal with everyone
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I wouldn't say that he's good or bad. He's pretty much the definition of "Chaotic Neutral".

He doesn't work against the crew as much as he initially did, but he is still prepared to manipulate everyone and keep secrets in order to further his own agenda.

Rush only cares about "the mission" to him everyone and everything else is irrelevant unless they can contribute to the furtherance of "the mission".

Comment

Rush is a pragmatist. what he wants, he achieves via the -in his eyes- best path.

even though his coup failed, it did make Young a stronger, better leader. and Young knows he needs to remain strong or else Rush steps in again and will do a coup again.

Rush does the most pragmatic thing. it shows in Epilogue where, when everyone is watching tapes, he goes look for useful supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by boxdudea View Post
          What does the forum think? Is Dr. Rush a good guy or a bad guy? I can't make up my mind. Sometimes he seems like he's on the "up and up" and othertimes he seems so devious and only has HIS best interests in mind, not anyone else's. If this is in the wrong section please move this. I am not sure if this is in the right section because I thought this just talked about the characters of the show and most of the questions I see on this thread is This character likes this other character.
          One of the joys of SGU is that it never breaks down so simply as good guys and bad guys. He's done some awful things and there are times I'd like to throw the character out of an airlock. I certainly wouldn't trust him if my life depended on it, even a little, but he's not a moustache-twirling villain of yore either. In fact, the 'good guys' have done lots of shady things too. Rush isn't my idea of a good guy, but in SGU it's all a matter of degree, and how bad have you been this week. I think Rush is getting better at being better.
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I don't think there are any "bad guys" or "good guys" on SGU. I think everyone is working, to some extent, for their own goals.

(this goes a long way to explain why I like this show so much)
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

rush is very much - for the good of the mission.

in such circumstances, people can easily fluctuate between what others would see as 'good' and 'bad' - yet they're merely working for the end goal. the methods might not be the most pleasant sometimes, but they forget that what they're doing is harmful to others, or even to themselves.
              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Rush it the most likable character on the ship imo. the more back-story i get on him the more i think i would have acted the same.. though his agenda with the ship has so far been to keep it in one piece and there for keeping every one alive has been synonyms with that.. not sure what will happen when its not.

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                  I wouldn't say that he's good or bad. He's pretty much the definition of "Chaotic Neutral".

He doesn't work against the crew as much as he initially did, but he is still prepared to manipulate everyone and keep secrets in order to further his own agenda.

Rush only cares about "the mission" to him everyone and everything else is irrelevant unless they can contribute to the furtherance of "the mission".
                  I agree with that. Rush is based on Lost in Space's, Dr. Zachary Smith.
                  He is the guy everyone loves to hate, lol.

You can't throw him out of an airlock because he is too valuable, but you cannot trust him father than you can throw 2 ton pick up truck either.
                  sigpic

Comment

I dont think he is good or bad, he doesnt seem to have the same sort of morals as other people, perhaps in his mind there is this big picture that is bigger than everyone else on the ship and more important than everything so loosing a few people along the way or lying to the crew is just something that has to be done...

Comment

I don't think good guys and bad guys really exist in SGU. He certainly plays the antagonist at times, but I don't think he fits into any sort of 'villain' archetype.

Comment

rush turned out quite alright by the end of the series.
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Yeah i would say he is essentially a good guy. Not perfect by no means. But he knows what he's doing and how to get it done. He developed so well on that mission. Probably my favourite character by far.

admittedly i thought he was well dodgy at first. But as the saying goes genius's are often the crazy ones.

Comment

"Crazy Uncle" sums it up quite well, really
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

This is such a good question and one that totally had me all over the place in the series. It seemed at the beginning of the story line, that he was devoid of all empathy towards crew members and egotistically driven to devise and conquer his own destiny (no pun intended) regardless of who it effected BUT the more his character developed, one could see a totally human side. His relationship with Amanda Perry kind of enfolded his true nature. Even near the end, especially when they were on the planet, I believe episode Twin Destinies, while everyone was very involved with the history of the other destiny, Rush was hell bent on another task which was to get enough fuel for the life support system. That scene in itself changed my whole outlook on him. Again, awesome question!!!!
                              sigpic
                              Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                              "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                              Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                              Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                              etc.....

Comment

Working...
                              X