• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    non sentinent animals

Happy now?
    yes, i'm happy now

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
      But the point is that they didn't know until after they communicated with the predator that it was intelligent. What I had hoped (and would have expected from the storyline) was that Greer would have reconsidered killing the deer based on that experience. Instead, they learned nothing from it and carried on as if it never happened. That is pretty much the point of characters having adventures - that they develop from the experience.
      however, since the deer didn't attempt to communicate - and acted apparently purely on instinct - they did take the experience of the predator.

they were able to face each other without running, measure each other, and determine the need for, or viability of, violence in self defence.

the deer displayed no such characteristics.

additionally, greer developed from - at the start of the episode - someone who was beginning to question himself, back to confident - and perhaps a little more accepting of intelligent creatures. he deserves a little celebration
      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
        however, since the deer didn't attempt to communicate - and acted apparently purely on instinct - they did take the experience of the predator.

they were able to face each other without running, measure each other, and determine the need for, or viability of, violence in self defence.

the deer displayed no such characteristics.

additionally, greer developed from - at the start of the episode - someone who was beginning to question himself, back to confident - and perhaps a little more accepting of intelligent creatures. he deserves a little celebration
        But neither did the predator until later on! It appeared to act only on instinct, as the humans did.

I'm not sure the deer even saw Greer, as the whole point was to stay hidden so it wouldn't know he was there.
        sigpic
        http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
        http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

But neither did the predator until later on! It appeared to act only on instinct, as the humans did.
          not, in fact, entirely true. at the start, when greer was getting ready to shoot the deer, the predator selected the greater threat - he attacked greer and scott, then the rest of the crew, in order to protect its food source. iirc, lions on earth only kill humans because they were taught that humans are easy to kill - however, this predator managed not only to target humans with no prior experience of us, but also avoid killing too many - if anyone - in the initial attack.

however, when the humans encroached on its home territory, it turned lethal - an instinctive reaction, to be sure, but one which could have been used in response to a food threat too. instead, it attempted to frighten first.

I'm not sure the deer even saw Greer, as the whole point was to stay hidden so it wouldn't know he was there.
          perhaps it did see greer, perhaps not. the predator did, though - and the deer on that planet have probably developed keen eyesight to detect threats. if it did see greer, then it didn't have the intelligence to determine that he was a clear and present danger to it - but it bolted as soon as the predator showed up. it certainly should have heard greer and scott arguing about who should take the shot though

additionally, the fact that an intelligent predator was protecting its food source would suggest that the predator had enough time to determine the intelligence of the deer - and found it lacking. greer may well have taken this as a suitable indication of the deer's suitability for hunting.

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Greer did what he had to do to save the crew from hunger. i support him 100 percent

Comment

Originally posted by woolsey View Post
                Greer did what he had to do to save the crew from hunger. i support him 100 percent
                now THAT i have to disagree with

eli hasn't starved yet

and hunger doesn't require meat. they'd plenty of plants iirc from that planet.

Comment

now THAT i have to disagree with

eli hasn't starved yet

and hunger doesn't require meat. they'd plenty of plants iirc from that planet.
                  I think I would die from meat deprivation

Comment

Is anyone else annoyed that Greer killed the 'deer' right after misestimating the intelligence of the predator-creature?
                    yes.

Comment

But the point is that they didn't know until after they communicated with the predator that it was intelligent. What I had hoped (and would have expected from the storyline) was that Greer would have reconsidered killing the deer based on that experience. Instead, they learned nothing from it and carried on as if it never happened. That is pretty much the point of characters having adventures - that they develop from the experience.
                      Glad I'm not the only one who got bugged by this, actually it was annoying me even at the start of the episode. You'd assume that there was an actual SGC rule for exploring an uncertain universe: "Before killing and eating anything, make sure it's not sentient"

I mean in a show that has featured intelligent crystals, twice, you think they'd not jump to conclusions about non-sentience

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                        Glad I'm not the only one who got bugged by this, actually it was annoying me even at the start of the episode. You'd assume that there was an actual SGC rule for exploring an uncertain universe: "Before killing and eating anything, make sure it's not sentient"

I mean in a show that has featured intelligent crystals, twice, you think they'd not jump to conclusions about non-sentience
                        1: they are not part of the SGC
                        2: they need food
                        3: this isn't SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post

on the other hand, watching the episode you'll notice that they learned about the sentience of the predator - and acted accordingly.

the behaviour pattern of the deer - acting instinctively, rather than making any attempt to communicate - stands as a clear contrast to a predator that can communicate.

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                          1: they are not part of the SGC
                          2: they need food
                          3: this isn't SG-1
                          actually, they would come under the authority of the SGC, i believe. the entire mission appears to be american, with no other scientists or soldiers involved - park is ethnically asian, but i haven't noticed an accent from her to reflect that she's representing another nation, like zelenka in atlantis. wray may have been present as an IOA representative, however Young was the one who authorised dialling the gate in the first place - suggesting the US military has operational control, and the IOA is present as a courtesy.

Comment

actually, they would come under the authority of the SGC, i believe. the entire mission appears to be american, with no other scientists or soldiers involved - park is ethnically asian, but i haven't noticed an accent from her to reflect that she's representing another nation, like zelenka in atlantis. wray may have been present as an IOA representative, however Young was the one who authorised dialling the gate in the first place - suggesting the US military has operational control, and the IOA is present as a courtesy.
                            except for the fact that technically they don't have to do anything the SGC tells them to do

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                              except for the fact that technically they don't have to do anything the SGC tells them to do
                              true, but in terms of the hierarchy they should, in fact, be under SGC jurisdiction.

if the IOA held operational authority, wray would be in charge.

the soldiers are part of the US army, and young officially does report to, and take orders from, someone - in this case, technically, the SGC.

i believe - since telford was to be commander of the mission - that, at least officially, the SGC can give orders on destiny. whether they'd be so arrogant as to presume to know the situation is another thing - they're too far removed from the situation (both in terms of distance, and having their 'feet on the ground' on the ship) to try this often. however, they DO try on at least one occasion - forcing a situation where the SGC has to replace young with telford temporarily. from gateworld's transcript for Earth:

O'NEILL: You're in command of that ship! It's not a democracy.

YOUNG: I'm sorry, sir. It's just ... it's not that simple.

O'NEILL: Yes! Yes, it is! A United States senator is dead. His daughter and dozens of other people are trapped a billion light years away from home. The President wants it done.

YOUNG: Sir, with all due respect ...

O'NEILL: You're being given a direct order, Colonel.

YOUNG: And I'm telling you that, regardless of the consequences to my standing, I'm going to take the situation under advisement. I will let you know my decision tomorrow.
                              the president doesn't have the authority to pass an order through the IOA, but he does have the authority to pass it through the SGC. young is clearly considered - on earth at least - to be in command on the ship.

of course, it's possible that they're in fact under homeworld command - but my understanding is that homeworld covers any issue pertaining to earth's defence, SGC included, and SGC covers everything to do with the stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by woolsey View Post
                                Agreed 100%! They need food, they need meat in their diet. Also as stated by General Jumper, they are on the other side of the universe and what IOA, SGC Command, O'neill, or the President want, didnt exatly take place for season 1 or season 2. No one is there to enforce earthly orders! Theyre on their own and are doing what they need to survive!
                                sigpic
                                LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

Working...
                                X