Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Annoyed that Greer killed the 'deer'

Greer did what he had to do to save the crew from hunger. i support him 100 percent

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by woolsey View Post
    Greer did what he had to do to save the crew from hunger. i support him 100 percent
    now THAT i have to disagree with

eli hasn't starved yet

and hunger doesn't require meat. they'd plenty of plants iirc from that planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    now THAT i have to disagree with

eli hasn't starved yet

and hunger doesn't require meat. they'd plenty of plants iirc from that planet.
    I think I would die from meat deprivation

Chief Master Sergeant

Is anyone else annoyed that Greer killed the 'deer' right after misestimating the intelligence of the predator-creature?
    yes.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by shipper hannah View Post
    But the point is that they didn't know until after they communicated with the predator that it was intelligent. What I had hoped (and would have expected from the storyline) was that Greer would have reconsidered killing the deer based on that experience. Instead, they learned nothing from it and carried on as if it never happened. That is pretty much the point of characters having adventures - that they develop from the experience.
    Glad I'm not the only one who got bugged by this, actually it was annoying me even at the start of the episode. You'd assume that there was an actual SGC rule for exploring an uncertain universe: "Before killing and eating anything, make sure it's not sentient"

I mean in a show that has featured intelligent crystals, twice, you think they'd not jump to conclusions about non-sentience

Quote Originally Posted by pbellosom View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who got bugged by this, actually it was annoying me even at the start of the episode. You'd assume that there was an actual SGC rule for exploring an uncertain universe: "Before killing and eating anything, make sure it's not sentient"

I mean in a show that has featured intelligent crystals, twice, you think they'd not jump to conclusions about non-sentience
    1: they are not part of the SGC
    2: they need food
    3: this isn't SG-1

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by pbellosom View Post

on the other hand, watching the episode you'll notice that they learned about the sentience of the predator - and acted accordingly.

the behaviour pattern of the deer - acting instinctively, rather than making any attempt to communicate - stands as a clear contrast to a predator that can communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by General Jumper One View Post
    1: they are not part of the SGC
    2: they need food
    3: this isn't SG-1
    actually, they would come under the authority of the SGC, i believe. the entire mission appears to be american, with no other scientists or soldiers involved - park is ethnically asian, but i haven't noticed an accent from her to reflect that she's representing another nation, like zelenka in atlantis. wray may have been present as an IOA representative, however Young was the one who authorised dialling the gate in the first place - suggesting the US military has operational control, and the IOA is present as a courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    actually, they would come under the authority of the SGC, i believe. the entire mission appears to be american, with no other scientists or soldiers involved - park is ethnically asian, but i haven't noticed an accent from her to reflect that she's representing another nation, like zelenka in atlantis. wray may have been present as an IOA representative, however Young was the one who authorised dialling the gate in the first place - suggesting the US military has operational control, and the IOA is present as a courtesy.
    except for the fact that technically they don't have to do anything the SGC tells them to do

First Lieutenant

except for the fact that technically they don't have to do anything the SGC tells them to do
    true, but in terms of the hierarchy they should, in fact, be under SGC jurisdiction.

if the IOA held operational authority, wray would be in charge.

the soldiers are part of the US army, and young officially does report to, and take orders from, someone - in this case, technically, the SGC.

i believe - since telford was to be commander of the mission - that, at least officially, the SGC can give orders on destiny. whether they'd be so arrogant as to presume to know the situation is another thing - they're too far removed from the situation (both in terms of distance, and having their 'feet on the ground' on the ship) to try this often. however, they DO try on at least one occasion - forcing a situation where the SGC has to replace young with telford temporarily. from gateworld's transcript for Earth:

O'NEILL: You're in command of that ship! It's not a democracy.

YOUNG: I'm sorry, sir. It's just ... it's not that simple.

O'NEILL: Yes! Yes, it is! A United States senator is dead. His daughter and dozens of other people are trapped a billion light years away from home. The President wants it done.

YOUNG: Sir, with all due respect ...

O'NEILL: You're being given a direct order, Colonel.

YOUNG: And I'm telling you that, regardless of the consequences to my standing, I'm going to take the situation under advisement. I will let you know my decision tomorrow.
    the president doesn't have the authority to pass an order through the IOA, but he does have the authority to pass it through the SGC. young is clearly considered - on earth at least - to be in command on the ship.

of course, it's possible that they're in fact under homeworld command - but my understanding is that homeworld covers any issue pertaining to earth's defence, SGC included, and SGC covers everything to do with the stargate.

Quote Originally Posted by woolsey View Post
    Agreed 100%! They need food, they need meat in their diet. Also as stated by General Jumper, they are on the other side of the universe and what IOA, SGC Command, O'neill, or the President want, didnt exatly take place for season 1 or season 2. No one is there to enforce earthly orders! Theyre on their own and are doing what they need to survive!

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by LordRush View Post
    Also as stated by General Jumper, they are on the other side of the universe and what IOA, SGC Command, O'neill, or the President want, didnt exatly take place for season 1 or season 2. No one is there to enforce earthly orders! Theyre on their own and are doing what they need to survive!
    true, however they can do what they did before - both in earth and seizure - and replace key personnel using the stones. it's not optimal, but it IS possible. the attempt to dial DID in fact take place, it was just hijacked by rush

and frankly, i'd suspect young has to walk a fine line in any direct orders he may disobey. dialling earth from a sun - on the first try - he can argue is a problem from a safety perspective, and a court martial won't want to hear about that. the president does, however, remain commander-in-chief of the US military, meaning that a direct order from him - unless i'm very mistaken about what that would mean in the army - is an order that has to be followed, with the only likely exception being an illegal order. this was an order to do what appeared necessary to get people home.

Chief Master Sergeant actuallyliam's Avatar

True but remember they were the Icarus base. As far as we know all the offworld bases Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma. All fall under SGC control. Maybe they lost control of it, when they gated to Destiny. Then Homeworld command took over. Who also is oversight of SGC.

But yes, I personally can see why they choose to do it. I don't agree with it. But most animals are instinctively sentient. So what level of sentient would we say you can't eat? You could eat people, doesn't mean we do.