Medical knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
    Since TJ was the most medically knowledgeable person on board and she was not a trained doctor, it seems like this is one area in which the society would have started off with a serious lack of knowledge. Given that, its a little surprising that they would have ended up having cured diseases which we or even the ancients could not cure.
    The ancients could have a cure for it, we just don't know it yet. And look what humans have done on Earth with 2000+ years starting from scratch. They didn't start from scratch. And when one of your "founding fathers" (or mother in her case) died of a desease (and I am sure every one in their society at some point watched this video) you generally would want to find a cure for that said desease.

So it's not surprising at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
      She's in the Stargate program I imagine the training for a Paramedic for an SG Team is a bit more involved than those for a simple medic. Further, she's interested in medicine. She could have been learning on her own as best she could.
      That is true, nothing is saying she wasn';t learning on the side.. or taking courses when off duty. Heck she was trying to go back to school.. so whats to say that was not med school and she was trying to get ahead of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
        Shylodog,

She's in the Stargate program I imagine the training for a Paramedic for an SG Team is a bit more involved than those for a simple medic. Further, she's interested in medicine. She could have been learning on her own as best she could.
        Generally no, there would be little difference in the training she received as a field medic (or Corpsman as they are called in the Navy and Marine Corps). She is NOT a doctor, but she is several steps up from a nurse as well. BUT, her prior/ongoing training and studying to become a doctor would probably have helped her in getting the billet.

Now, when I said I work at a med school (in case my post was misunderstood) we don't train medics or paramedics or nurses. We are a full post-graduate collage where we train and produce some of the most qualified doctors in the US. Just wanted to be clear for my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
          In the cut scenes in Hunt, what was her father supposed to have died from? He was bedridden at home, right?
          No from what i remember they were talking about T.J and her Father hiking for miles, her dad teaching her how to sow because he used to a tailor.

I dont remember anything about bedridden, and there was definitely NO mention of her Mother.

N.C

Comment

Shylo,

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
            Generally no, there would be little difference in the training she received as a field medic (or Corpsman as they are called in the Navy and Marine Corps). She is NOT a doctor, but she is several steps up from a nurse as well. BUT, her prior/ongoing training and studying to become a doctor would probably have helped her in getting the billet.

Now, when I said I work at a med school (in case my post was misunderstood) we don't train medics or paramedics or nurses. We are a full post-graduate collage where we train and produce some of the most qualified doctors in the US. Just wanted to be clear for my previous post.
            Just an FYI. My mother's an RN just short of her Nurse practioner's license. She's quite good at diagnosis.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

And i am good buds with several HMs in the navy.. 1 is real good with diagnosing issues..

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
                Since TJ was the most medically knowledgeable person on board and she was not a trained doctor, it seems like this is one area in which the society would have started off with a serious lack of knowledge. Given that, its a little surprising that they would have ended up having cured diseases which we or even the ancients could not cure.
                They were not saying that the Ancient's couldn't cure it, but saying that finding it would be very difficult. The symptoms probably match heaps of diseases, and all the naming/terminology is different.

Comment

Which makes me wonder would they even have called the Symptoms the same?

Comment

Working...
                  X