I just don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't get it...

You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?

Stupid plot.

Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.

Do we know for sure that there were only two cities?

Comment

what I didn't get about this episode(which I actually liked more than I thought I would) was why didn't they just grab the trajectory the ships were taking, then go chase them down?

If they can ftl to the planet in 10 days(i think is what they said) when it'll take the ships 300 years(or something like that) why not just pop into ftl for a short jaunt and catch one?

Or hell, even the regular engines on destiny have to be really fast compared to whatever ships they're in, right?

I dunno, just seemed odd to me that they couldn't calculate where the ships would be, and then find a way to pilot destiney to them.

Comment

Space is pretty big. They'd have to know their exact route, and exact time they set off and their exact speed to have any chance of finding them.

Comment

Originally posted by MizuhoChan View Post
          You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.
          You're a fool if you really think there are only two cities. Sorry for putting it so bluntly, but seriously? You really think the writers want us to believe there's only two cities? Get real man.
          Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?
          Yeah because that's so easy. Be honest; are you trolling us?
          Stupid plot.
          Not really, but those are both opinions.
          Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.
          Real people have survived falls much greater than that. Can't handle it? Buck up buddy, it just happened.
          sigpic
          ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            Space is pretty big. They'd have to know their exact route, and exact time they set off and their exact speed to have any chance of finding them.
            yeah I get that....but Destiny has these great sensors, and it's computer surely could compute a flight path...I dunno...just felt odd they couldn't figure out where they were.

or at least say something like "even destiny can't calculate where they'll be so we have no way of finding them" .... i dunno, something.

Like I said, I jsut didn't get that part of the episode. felt too odd to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
              You're a fool if you really think there are only two cities. Sorry for putting it so bluntly, but seriously? You really think the writers want us to believe there's only two cities? Get real man.Yeah because that's so easy. Be honest; are you trolling us?Not really, but those are both opinions.Real people have survived falls much greater than that. Can't handle it? Buck up buddy, it just happened.
              ...What? I said there couldn't have been only one city. I never implied that there were only two. Of course I think there were more than two.

Why isn't it easy? Not every city would have been close to destruction and you'd think each city would have medical facilities, data about cures, etc. Methinks you may be the real troll.

Yes, I thought it was a stupid plot. My opinion. Please engage in civil discussions.

Perhaps they have, I don't know of anyone who has, but that's not my point. My point is that I don't like him and I would have preferred it had he died.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonK View Post
                yeah I get that....but Destiny has these great sensors, and it's computer surely could compute a flight path...I dunno...just felt odd they couldn't figure out where they were.

or at least say something like "even destiny can't calculate where they'll be so we have no way of finding them" .... i dunno, something.

Like I said, I jsut didn't get that part of the episode. felt too odd to me.
                I remember them saying that the Novus ships don't have FTL or Hyperdrive capabilities. This would suggest, however, that they can travel near the speed of light. This also means the ship would experience some serious time dilation effects and, thusly, may be impossible to find if not track.

Speculation on my part.
                sigpic

Comment

Atlantis has great censors, Daedalus or Apollo have great censors and they knew Atlantis's flight path yet when it dropped out way to early it took them lots of jumps and scanning before they found Atlantis - "Adrift"

Comment

Originally posted by LeonK View Post
                    what I didn't get about this episode(which I actually liked more than I thought I would) was why didn't they just grab the trajectory the ships were taking, then go chase them down?

If they can ftl to the planet in 10 days(i think is what they said) when it'll take the ships 300 years(or something like that) why not just pop into ftl for a short jaunt and catch one?
                    there is no way to predict where they might be... you expect em to just jump in to random space?

Comment

I'd assume they'd take the most direct route, all you would have to do is travel on normal engines, you'd be faster than them. Have destiny listen for radio transmissions, look for emf and you'd eventually find them.

Destiny seems to be at around the same level of technology as a 304. They have a drive, life support that requires maintenance every so often, they have sub-light engines, a main beam weapon and several smaller less powerful ones. 304s have a squadron of 302s, Destiny has 2 shuttles. They seem to go at similar speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
                        I'd assume they'd take the most direct route, all you would have to do is travel on normal engines, you'd be faster than them. Have destiny listen for radio transmissions, look for emf and you'd eventually find them.

Destiny seems to be at around the same level of technology as a 304. They have a drive, life support that requires maintenance every so often, they have sub-light engines, a main beam weapon and several smaller less powerful ones. 304s have a squadron of 302s, Destiny has 2 shuttles. They seem to go at similar speeds.
                        Traveling in anything less than FTL would still mean a hundreds year journey. You'd have to know where to drop out of FTL and then make up the distance with sublight engines. Given the scope of space, it's still an improbability.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                          Atlantis has great censors, Daedalus or Apollo have great censors and they knew Atlantis's flight path yet when it dropped out way to early it took them lots of jumps and scanning before they found Atlantis - "Adrift"
                          I had never seen that episode, though I find it ineresting they didn't at least include one line of dialog like "jumping in and out of ftl to try and find them would blow the drives, we just can't do it, sorry". Would have explained it all for those of us who didn't see the atlantis episode.

Originally posted by sholva1 View Post
                          there is no way to predict where they might be... you expect em to just jump in to random space?
                          no way to predict? what? if you can grab a flight path, and estimate a speed, you know about where they'll be, then it isn't random space, it's a calculated estimate. then they scan around, and move to another estimated place. Though as I just stated in my reply to someone else, i've not seen the atlantis episode where apparently it took many many jumps in and out of hyperspace to find atlantis.

obviously jumping in and out of ftl isn't an option for destiny.

Comment

I think the generational ships would be findable to. It would take a while for sure, but if they know what planet they were going to they should be able to find them before TJ actually up and dies in 5+ years.

If they'd had more detailed information on the ship in the factory and could establish performance expectations from that it would be a lot easier though.

The real thing that might bugger them though would be matching velocities with it. If it was really moving at something like .9999c sublight after accelerating for years or decades it might be functionally impossible for destiny to actually dock with it. They could go slower or faster but never be able to match velocities with it short of committing to some sort of years long plan of sublight acceleration themselves.

Even in that scenario though some kind of brief communication might be possible, but extreme time dilation might mess with that pretty badly to.

What I couldn't figure out myself was why everyone was acting like somebody had to sit beside the computer while it uploaded files to destiny.

Once you tell it to upload it's basically just a waiting game until the file finishes transferring so you can just leave and it'll last as long as it lasts before the ceiling falls in on it. There's no reason for a person to be standing there on the planet just to watch a status bar fill up.

Comment

We don't even know if the black hole is along the path to the planet. For all we know, they went around it or something, and it's very possible that in 30 years, they were able to figure out some FTL modifications to speed up the ships.

Comment

Working...
                              X