Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    WR, if you want to run your tech passage on this topic by me when it's written or as you write it, I might be able to help you make it plausible.
    It's not really explained much, but I do want a plausible way to do what I'm doing and not something that sounds like it could be replaced with 'let's get a magic fairy to fix this'.

I also want to fix glitches as early as possible.

Spoiler:
    A few days after Atlantis is off the coast of San Francisco, someone sabotages the place, turning most everything off and dumped most of the control crystals on the floor. They disabled the other control station before wrecking things. Some essentials were left on, but not many. They've also only been on earth a few days, so no one's picked up a cellphone or anything.

I want to make sure I've broken everything, and way to delay communications, possibly force them to have to figure out a new way to get their hands on or do something.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Ah, I see.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
        Spoiler:
        I want to make sure I've broken everything, and way to delay communications, possibly force them to have to figure out a new way to get their hands on or do something.
        Spoiler:
        Have you thought of just ripping out the ZPM somehow?
        Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
        Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
          Spoiler:
          Have you thought of just ripping out the ZPM somehow?
          Spoiler:
          Yeah, but that's boring. Plus, it doesn't quite give me what I want. While people do use this to steal stuff, they intentionally leave the cloak on, but lock all the doors (save for the ones they need, but they lock those behind them.) This way no one can do anything on the inside, but no one on the outside notices anything. Thus their problem is twofold.

They need to alert someone, but the right someone. I know some more of the fic, I just want to get this out of the way or it'll bug the crap out of me.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Spoiler:
            Yeah, but that's boring. Plus, it doesn't quite give me what I want. While people do use this to steal stuff, they intentionally leave the cloak on, but lock all the doors (save for the ones they need, but they lock those behind them.) This way no one can do anything on the inside, but no one on the outside notices anything. Thus their problem is twofold.

They need to alert someone, but the right someone. I know some more of the fic, I just want to get this out of the way or it'll bug the crap out of me.
            Spoiler:
            Ok, so they are trapped inside with no way to communicate, and since they are cloaked no one can see them and come check it out. Is that correct? And yeah, ripping the ZPM out is cheap and easy. Unless the bad guys have a twisted sense of humour and send them on a scavenger hunt for it - but that's just what I'd do because I'm not completely evil.
            Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
            Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Spoiler:
              at the idea of scavenger hunts due to not being completely evil...

Remind me to tell a story sometime about my not-entirely-evil ways, a scavenger hunt, and an ex-boyfriend's birthday in high school. It's even sci-fi related!

Bonus: I think that said ex-boyfriend actually hangs out on GateWorld at times. So, B.S. (I swear I'm not making that up; those really are his initials), if you're reading this... you're forewarned. Or you can tell the story yourself.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

about the atlantis situation:
                Spoiler:

1: bring a Zat.
                2: put the base in total lockdown mode
                3: cut power to everything.
                4: shoot all consoles with the Zat. if needed expose the crystals and shoot them directly
                5: somehow block the gate. maybe one of those Tok'ra shield emitters can function as a temporary iris.
                6: don't cloak, shield. they can fly through the cloak and i think the IOA knows the last position of the City.

7: unplug the ZPM, go to the most remote part of the city and either dump it in the water or hide it in the botany. somewhere hard to find.

the naquahdah generators might be a pain in the ass for you. but that's about it. our ships, fighters and jumpers can't penetrate the shield. oh wait, if you unplug the ZPM the shield drops. no keep the ZPM in there. or use a ZPM trolley, place it in a remote part of the city and power the shield from there.

a tactical nuke would do miracles too. as leverage. maybe take a few more tactical nukes, for effect. or a batch of nerve gas near the ventilation system with a pack of C-4 attached to it.

additionally, a few good bombs near the flotation tanks (tanks with air that keep the city afloat) should do miracles.

be sure to pack a Beam Jammer so nobody can beam in and out. just in case.

Comment

I need a science geek. How do naval sonar communications work? How would one contact them through it (do you have to be on a radio frequency, a certain volume, make sure you don't resemble a whale)?
                  A late reply, but here goes.

US subs can do voice communications using their sonar systems. Sonar are basically paired underwater microphones and speakers. The emitters send out pulses (the ping sounds) and those bounce back to be picked up by the mikes or hydrophones.

The sonar emitters can also produce modulated signals such as the human voice. And the hydrophones pick that up.

Though fiction Tom Clancy's novel The Hunt for Red October has a scene where a US sonarman makes an adjustment to a Soviet sub sonar and communicated to a US sub. Tom Clancy is well known for the accuracy of his tech both current and reasonable extrapolations of future developments. Such a sonar communication is short range only.

US subs communicate by using an ELF system in combination with a satellite systems. ELF uses low frequency radio as they are best at penetrating into the deep ocean. The drawbacks are that the antennas are very, very long and communication is very very slow. Subs trail a wire several thousand feet long to receive ELF messages. ELF communication is also quite slow, something like one letter a second or slower. The US communicate with its subs by sending a one word ELF flash message. This message is usually a short code word to alert the sub to come to periscope depth, stick a cell-phone sized satellite antenna to receive a highly compressed data burst which would contain the actual message.
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I'd forgotten all about that voice bit in The Hunt For Red October! Thank you for reminding me! Mind you, it's probably been more than ten years since I last read the book.

*goes off to pull it from the shelves and add it to her nightstand to be re-read*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      I'd forgotten all about that voice bit in The Hunt For Red October! Thank you for reminding me! Mind you, it's probably been more than ten years since I last read the book.

*goes off to pull it from the shelves and add it to her nightstand to be re-read*
                      Just watch the movie. Has more "Scottish-Russian-ness" in it
                      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

No, I definitely want to re-read the book. Besides, it lasts longer that way. And it gives these lovely descriptions of how things work, and why.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Ok, so they are trapped inside with no way to communicate, and since they are cloaked no one can see them and come check it out. Is that correct? And yeah, ripping the ZPM out is cheap and easy. Unless the bad guys have a twisted sense of humour and send them on a scavenger hunt for it - but that's just what I'd do because I'm not completely evil.
                          Spoiler:
                          Completely correct. Save for the guys who messed with things, no one's getting in and no one's getting out unless someone figures something out.

Comment

the cloak will fail without a ZPM

Comment

Okay.... I may need some advice here shortly. Depending on how my writing goes. And then I'll need prolly a beta reader... o.0

But for now I have this one...

I don't remember a real in-depth explanation on how Ba'al cloned himself? Any ideas on how to do something of that nature and make it believable?
                              This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

perhaps using the same technology that Sam used in the last episode of SG-1 to make teal'cs stuff but a person instead of food. Then using Anubis's tech to download and upload conciseness and memories you could create an exact duplicate of someone... in theory
                                sigpic
                                Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Comment

Working...
                                X