Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
    Unfortunately, hulu only works in the States.
    I've heard a couple of good things about Jumpto.com. It will mask your IP address and allow you to access sites like Hulu from anywhere in the world, and it gives you a secure browser, too.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks! I'll give that a try!
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Cool! Good luck, and let us know how it works. I'm tempted to go that kind of route myself so that I can access CBC programming, which is generally blocked from viewers with US IP addresses. There are shows I've seen bits of when vacationing in Canada that I wouldn't mind watching more of.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
          I grab screencaps from Hulu. I'm on a Mac, so I just hit pause and then command + shift + 3. That takes the shot and saves it on my desktop. If I am pulling from a DVD I use VLC to watch it and do the same thing. Actually VLC has a built-in snapshot feature.
          I've got a little Aspire Netbook. I will have to see if RealPlayer works with Hulu. I know it does with YouTube. And from what little I've done of capturing with RealPlayer, I think it might work. I just wasn't sure if people used any sort of software program to capture from current seasons. Thanks for all the input!
          sigpic
          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I need a science geek. How do naval sonar communications work? How would one contact them through it (do you have to be on a radio frequency, a certain volume, make sure you don't resemble a whale)?
            Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
              I need a science geek. How do naval sonar communications work? How would one contact them through it (do you have to be on a radio frequency, a certain volume, make sure you don't resemble a whale)?
              Not sure about the sonar. I'm pretty sure that is a one-way method of communication. Think blind man with stick.

However, if you just saw Sanctuary and are asking about Henry's method of communicating with Praxis, you want Project Seafarer (which Henry mentioned), so check this out. You should also know that there is a X-files episode in which the same project makes an appearance (it's called Drive) but I don't remember how much of the technology they actually explore. It's more of the consequences. Still, might be interesting for you since the consequences they used had some basis in truth - or at least in blame.
              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Didn't see Sanctuary, but that definitely helps.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                  Okay, first off, sonar doesn't involve radio waves. That's radar. Sonar is sound. You don't so much communicate with it as use it for detection; sending out a sound signal and listening to the way it bounces back is "active sonar", much like what whales and dolphins use when they send out those sounds you always hear in documentaries about them. Simply listening to ambient sounds is "passive sonar". Each can tell you different things about an underwater environment. If you want to learn a lot about sonar as it has historically been used by naval vessels, especially submarines, read (not watch; read, because the explanations kick ass) "The Hunt For Red October" sometime.

Not sure about the sonar. I'm pretty sure that is a one-way method of communication. Think blind man with stick.
                  Basically, yeah. Detection, rather than communication. Although you probably could use sonar emissions to send Morse code, and obviously cetaceans have a rather elaborate system of communication set up using underwater soundwaves.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    Okay, first off, sonar doesn't involve radio waves.
                    Didn't think so, but I couldn't think of a better analogy for the question.

Although you probably could use sonar emissions to send Morse code
                    Cool.

Comment

However, if you just saw Sanctuary and are asking about Henry's method of communicating with Praxis, you want Project Seafarer (which Henry mentioned), so check this out. You should also know that there is a X-files episode in which the same project makes an appearance (it's called Drive) but I don't remember how much of the technology they actually explore. It's more of the consequences. Still, might be interesting for you since the consequences they used had some basis in truth - or at least in blame.
                      Just want to make sure it's noted: Project Seafarer/ELF stuff involves radio waves, NOT sound waves, so it isn't sonar.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

WR, if you want to run your tech passage on this topic by me when it's written or as you write it, I might be able to help you make it plausible.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Just want to make sure it's noted: Project Seafarer/ELF stuff involves radio waves, NOT sound waves, so it isn't sonar.
                          Yes - ELF is radio with a really really long antenna. You'd want that kind of thing for deep water communications. I don't believe they have any practical use on land (that can't be accomplished much easier via another method).

I remember reading about a study with elephants to see if they could detect low frequency electromagnetic waves... unfortunately I have no idea where it is anymore. It was interesting though because they thought they could teach the elephants to warn them about impending earthquakes. Not what you asked, but still very cool and possibly useful.
                          Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                          Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

You know, I think I remember something about that elephant study.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Oh, and I'm glad someone's posting SOMETHING around here! I was starting to wonder where everybody was!

Brooke, did you get a chance to read that Tok'ra chapter of mine yet? And if so, did it make sense to you?

Also, WTF is up with FF.net now? Story posting and updating works okay, but my PM outbox doesn't show a message I swear I sent someone this morning, so now I'm wondering if they ever actually got it.
                              Spoiler:
                              (Times like these I'm tempted to start calling it "fanfcuk.net" in public.)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Oh, got half-way through and got distracted. Let me finish it and I'll be back.

Comment

Working...
                                X