Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Just being suspicious and looking closer doesn't mean they'll find it. There are many instances where there's a suspicious death, and a thorough autopsy doesn't turn up anything that makes the death anything but natural. It's when the murderer strikes again, and develops a pattern that things to wrong for him or her.
    Mmm.... quite possibly so.

Anyone can drop dead at a moment's notice.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

How detectable is belladonna? I'm kind of under the assumption eating poison berries from earth isn't something people look for in space.
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

I should think the fact that they've been poisoned would be fairly obvious (Belladonna causes vomiting, hallucinations, and convulsions (depending on dose)). Whether they specifically identify it at autopsy is a different question.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I should think the fact that they've been poisoned would be fairly obvious (Belladonna causes vomiting, hallucinations, and convulsions (depending on dose)). Whether they specifically identify it at autopsy is a different question.

Seaboe
            By why suspect poisoning and not a virus/bacteria/nanovirus or thing in the head?

Also, the point isn't no one suspects anything, they just can't figure out what it is.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Then belladonna would work just fine. I think the combination of symptoms, and the speed with which they appear, is what makes poison the obvious answer. They'd probably be able to identify the poisonous substances (atropine, hyocyamine and scopolamine), although the question of where it had come from might remain

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Then belladonna would work just fine. I think the combination of symptoms, and the speed with which they appear, is what makes poison the obvious answer. They'd probably be able to identify the poisonous substances (atropine, hyocyamine and scopolamine), although the question of where it had come from might remain

Seaboe
                And given that the first victims are civilians, the doctors are left thinking it was probably some moonshine or something native to their planet.

Comment

Belladonna : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna

The common name belladonna originates from its historic use by women, as bella donna is Italian for "beautiful lady". Drops prepared from the belladonna plant were used to dilate women's pupils, an effect considered to be attractive and seductive.[6][7] Belladonna drops act as a muscarinic antagonist, blocking receptors in the muscles of the eye that constrict pupil size.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I read amputees can serve in the military and USAF, especially as pilots. I can't find any details on the rules about this though. How long is medical leave? Wahat restrictions are there?

Comment

I know Tetrodotoxin can be used as a poison, but I can't find out whether it would still be detectable during an autopsy, and if so how long for. I don't know if that's any help, but it just popped into my head so.
                      sigpic
                      He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                        I read amputees can serve in the military and USAF, especially as pilots. I can't find any details on the rules about this though. How long is medical leave? Wahat restrictions are there?
                        Found something that might help:

Article from 2012 --> New Prosthetics Keep Amputee Soldiers on Active Duty
                        Soldier Amputees Have More Options for Continued Service
                        Continuation on Active Duty / Continuation on Active Reserve (COAD / COAR)

Comment

There's an episode of Chicago Med, where a woman comes into the hospital with a prosthetic arm and she's active in the US Army. So clearly it's not impossible.

And Falcon Horus has found some helpful articles for you, so my reply isn't as helpful as Falcon's.
                          sigpic
                          He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

The last one is really helpful. Thank you.

Comment

The last one is really helpful. Thank you.
                              You're welcome.

I think with the technology available today in terms of prostetics, military personnel would continue as normally after recovery.

So many possibilities available.

Comment

Do ribosones and cell components count as nanites? Everything I find on them calls them macromolecular machines. And I also see references to cell components when researching nanites. And would identifying these structures in a fluid be a good way to identify something as a noncellular organism?

sigpic
                                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
                                X