Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    Dark, rich chocolate, drizzled over ripe, red strawberries... Mmmm...
    Okay, between that and the chapter I just posted on my fic (yes, that chapter!) I almost need a cigarette. And I don't even smoke!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
      Okay, between that and the chapter I just posted on my fic (yes, that chapter!) I almost need a cigarette. And I don't even smoke!
      Spoiler:
      Did your chapter include ripe, red strawberries (or something/-one else) drizzled in dark, rich chocolate (or somthing/-one else)?

Back to technical stuff (how's THAT for cold water?), maybe this is not the right place to post this, but it's morning and I'm lazy. Those who screencap--what program do you use to screencap from shows that are not on DVD yet? Do you use a certain TV on the computer software program or a site that is playing the current show or what? SF or Feast, whoever started this thread, feel free to slap me for putting it here (and/or guide me to the correct thread).
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Since I'm a fan of breaking things in the cheapest, easiest, and often dumbest and funnest ways possible... is ancient tech immune to diet coke and mentos?
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
          Since I'm a fan of breaking things in the cheapest, easiest, and often dumbest and funnest ways possible... is ancient tech immune to diet coke and mentos?
          How about writing a fic about it and find out?

(btw: isn't putting coke and mentos together a bad thing? *pokes the GW Fan Fiction 'Mythbusters'* Well i'm in the right thread! Go make me something explodey!!!)
          [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post

(btw: isn't putting coke and mentos together a bad thing? *pokes the GW Fan Fiction 'Mythbusters'* Well i'm in the right thread! Go make me something explodey!!!)
            It's supposed to be the beginning of a fic (quick, easy, and thorough sabotage).

The mentos just make sure the coke gets everywhere. I'm not going to be as artistic in the fic.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Oh, and if you ran security systems for a cutting-edge facility that housed both dangerous and friendly abnormals (sentient non-humans) & had an unlimited budget & government backing/blessing, what would you expect to find in your office/lab/armory? What would you dream of having? I'm talking both offensive and defensive things--from computer systems to weapons, tracking devices, etc.
              i'm not familiar with Sanctuary but there would definitely be a warehouse-like armory with large signs displaying what counterweapon is stored where, with alleys of guns ordered by type of mutant. oh and a good old fashioned rack of primitive projectile guns like assault rifles, machine guns and anti-tank weapons.

in the hallways there would likely be the occasional "use in case of mutant escape" gun. i think a good stun gun works. you know, the kind that fires a bullet with an electric charge.

given the conditions it has survived, i'd say: yes. unless you remove the casing and pour the mixture directly onto the exposed parts. given the serious durability of ancient tech, that means also taking the coverage off the individual parts.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                given the conditions it has survived, i'd say: yes. unless you remove the casing and pour the mixture directly onto the exposed parts. given the serious durability of ancient tech, that means also taking the coverage off the individual parts.
                Since this is mostly to cause severe annoyance, delay, and make it impossible to figure out the details of what someone was doing with the computers just before it was destroyed... that leaves fire and large objects against the device. Fire looks most like the easiest to keep quiet for a minute, but I'm already using that.

I don't thinks ancient tech comes apart that easily, or one could just shove coke and mentos inside, slam the top back on and run.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Did your chapter include ripe, red strawberries (or something/-one else) drizzled in dark, rich chocolate (or somthing/-one else)?

Back to technical stuff (how's THAT for cold water?), maybe this is not the right place to post this, but it's morning and I'm lazy. Those who screencap--what program do you use to screencap from shows that are not on DVD yet? Do you use a certain TV on the computer software program or a site that is playing the current show or what? SF or Feast, whoever started this thread, feel free to slap me for putting it here (and/or guide me to the correct thread).
                  Spoiler:
                  No chocolate (or cigarettes, or even coffee ) on Tir Awyr, much to Frank Cromwell's chagrin. Fortunately, he's found other things to occupy his time and attentions.

Heck, I don't see why it can't be here. I don't have an answer for your question, but this seems a reasonable place to ask it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post

Depends on your POV. Personally, my boys & I had quite a lot of fun with that one summer!
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Spoiler:
                      No chocolate (or cigarettes, or even coffee ) on Tir Awyr, much to Frank Cromwell's chagrin. Fortunately, he's found other things to occupy his time and attentions.
                      Spoiler:
                      Well I guess he would have to, wouldn't he? Everything's better with chocolate. And I do mean everything. And the cigs I could do without, but no coffee! What fresh Hell have you created? Ah, well, I have a teaser scene that's driving me crazy to be written. I must be off.

Heck, I don't see why it can't be here. I don't have an answer for your question, but this seems a reasonable place to ask it.
                      Thanks!
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Well I guess he would have to, wouldn't he? Everything's better with chocolate. And I do mean everything. And the cigs I could do without, but no coffee! What fresh Hell have you created? Ah, well, I have a teaser scene that's driving me crazy to be written. I must be off.
                        Spoiler:
                        Heh. Read it and find out. He does find a way to turn it into heaven... with a little bit of help.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Heh. Read it and find out. He does find a way to turn it into heaven... with a little bit of help.
                          Spoiler:
                          I will have to do that. I'm a little out of touch with SG-1 stuff, except the very basics. I'm more into SGA. Anything I should know in particular?
                          sigpic

Comment

This and this explain it quite nicely, I think.

Episodes are available on Hulu.com, and most of them also have synopses right here on GateWorld. The one you will HAVE to have actually watched is A Matter of Time, as that is the episode that introduces my protagonist, Frank Cromwell, and is the only episode he ever appeared in.
                            Spoiler:
                            Watching The Torment of Tantalus helps, too, as does at least understanding the basics about the Tok'ra.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I grab screencaps from Hulu. I'm on a Mac, so I just hit pause and then command + shift + 3. That takes the shot and saves it on my desktop. If I am pulling from a DVD I use VLC to watch it and do the same thing. Actually VLC has a built-in snapshot feature.
                              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Unfortunately, hulu only works in the States.
                                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Working...
                                X