Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Default Re: Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Just being suspicious and looking closer doesn't mean they'll find it. There are many instances where there's a suspicious death, and a thorough autopsy doesn't turn up anything that makes the death anything but natural. It's when the murderer strikes again, and develops a pattern that things to wrong for him or her.
    Mmm.... quite possibly so.

Anyone can drop dead at a moment's notice.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1
    First time time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty!
    loves and loves right back.

No w/o a and no w/o a
    It's an immutable law of the multiverse.

How detectable is belladonna? I'm kind of under the assumption eating poison berries from earth isn't something people look for in space.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Major

I should think the fact that they've been poisoned would be fairly obvious (Belladonna causes vomiting, hallucinations, and convulsions (depending on dose)). Whether they specifically identify it at autopsy is a different question.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

I should think the fact that they've been poisoned would be fairly obvious (Belladonna causes vomiting, hallucinations, and convulsions (depending on dose)). Whether they specifically identify it at autopsy is a different question.

Seaboe
    By why suspect poisoning and not a virus/bacteria/nanovirus or thing in the head?

Also, the point isn't no one suspects anything, they just can't figure out what it is.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Major

Then belladonna would work just fine. I think the combination of symptoms, and the speed with which they appear, is what makes poison the obvious answer. They'd probably be able to identify the poisonous substances (atropine, hyocyamine and scopolamine), although the question of where it had come from might remain

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Then belladonna would work just fine. I think the combination of symptoms, and the speed with which they appear, is what makes poison the obvious answer. They'd probably be able to identify the poisonous substances (atropine, hyocyamine and scopolamine), although the question of where it had come from might remain

Seaboe
    And given that the first victims are civilians, the doctors are left thinking it was probably some moonshine or something native to their planet.

Quinn 'Fog Boy' Mallory StargateMillennium's Avatar

Hey, can someone check my science on some of my weapon descriptions. Entries are below and separated.

Helix guns
    Helix guns are helical rail guns, using a pair of rails to help launch projectiles. However, the rails do not launch the projectile in question but rather are used to carry a pair of electrical contacts down the length of the helical barrel. These contacts energize the helical projectile which will also carry its own electrical contacts which, in turn, will energize the barrel which creates the magnetic field that launches the projectile. Projectiles are launched at such high speeds that despite possessing low calibers, helix guns possess enormous stopping power.

The rounds fired are small and frangible, shattering upon impact to avoid over penetration. Otherwise, a pistol can hit with the energy of a 20 mm cannon.

Caliber is how bullets on Earth are categorized, measured by the bore of the gun they are fired from. Helix gun projectiles are categorized by grain. Helix guns fire projectiles that shatter and the grain refers to the size of the fragments. One grain (1G) projectiles refer to solid projectiles. Hundred grain (100G) projectiles are ones that shatter into one hundred fragments. The word 'supergrain' (SG) refers to bullets that shatter into over a hundred fragments with each supergrain referring to a hundred fragments. Five supergrain (5SG) is a projectile that shatters into five hundred fragments. Most small arms fire hundred supergrain (100SG) rounds.

Kinetic shock absorbers are crucial to the weapon's design. The speed the projectile leaves the barrel would stagger the user otherwise and that is not even factoring weapons such as the shrieker rifle with their absurdly high rates of fire.

--------------------------------------

Laser Lance
    Eloran Laser Lances uses magnetic particle accelerator to fire streams of photons. The wavelength of the photons is comparable to ultra-high energy gamma ray bursts. This beam cannot be seen by the naked eye but some photons escape the magnetic tunnel with the wavelength of visible light, which is why it looks like a beam of blue or purple light.

The lance requires specialized heat sinks to avoid melting the barrel and acceleration chamber. Even then, the beam can only be sustained for a quarter of a second and the weapon is incapable of automatic or even semiautomatic fire. Higher rates of fire require multiple acceleration chambers and weaker beams.

There is a harsh whistle when the weapon is fired. This is caused by the air surrounding the beam heating up and rapidly expanding.

----------------------------------
    Trazer

Like the rest of their weapons, the trazer uses a pair of rails to launch electrical contacts down a helical barrel, creating a magnetic field that would launch the projectile. Though the current going through these rails are weaker than those found in their standard weapons it is still incredibly powerful. Most fierri projectiles are the size of fingernails. Trazer capsules are the size of 9mm rounds. Each capsule contains a series of piezoelectric liquid crystals as well as other chemicals. When the container hits a target, it shatters, the impact causing the piezoelectric liquid to release a massive jolt of electricity. The other chemicals in the capsule serve to conduct this electricity as it splashes on the target. There are variants that, instead of piezoelectric liquid crystals, have a series of chemicals that, when combined, will produce a massive electric jolt with the same affect.

The electricity produced has been measured to be several hundred thousand volts and the current can kill a person. However, the current is brief so that damage done is negligible and will even arc over the surface of the target rather than through it. But there is damage done. 1-3 shots produce intense pain. The damage to the body is minimal and can heal. 4-6 shots will render a target unconscious. Damage done is now more significant. It still can be healed but it will leave more burns and scars. 6 or more shots is dangerous and is likely to result in permanent damage or even death. Because of this, all trazers only have single shot or burst fire. There are no automatic trazers as it would defeat the purpose.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Belladonna : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna

The common name belladonna originates from its historic use by women, as bella donna is Italian for "beautiful lady". Drops prepared from the belladonna plant were used to dilate women's pupils, an effect considered to be attractive and seductive.[6][7] Belladonna drops act as a muscarinic antagonist, blocking receptors in the muscles of the eye that constrict pupil size.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819