Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar

Default Re: Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Spoiler:
    at the idea of scavenger hunts due to not being completely evil...

Remind me to tell a story sometime about my not-entirely-evil ways, a scavenger hunt, and an ex-boyfriend's birthday in high school. It's even sci-fi related!

Bonus: I think that said ex-boyfriend actually hangs out on GateWorld at times. So, B.S. (I swear I'm not making that up; those really are his initials), if you're reading this... you're forewarned. Or you can tell the story yourself.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

about the atlantis situation:
    Spoiler:

1: bring a Zat.
    2: put the base in total lockdown mode
    3: cut power to everything.
    4: shoot all consoles with the Zat. if needed expose the crystals and shoot them directly
    5: somehow block the gate. maybe one of those Tok'ra shield emitters can function as a temporary iris.
    6: don't cloak, shield. they can fly through the cloak and i think the IOA knows the last position of the City.

7: unplug the ZPM, go to the most remote part of the city and either dump it in the water or hide it in the botany. somewhere hard to find.

the naquahdah generators might be a pain in the ass for you. but that's about it. our ships, fighters and jumpers can't penetrate the shield. oh wait, if you unplug the ZPM the shield drops. no keep the ZPM in there. or use a ZPM trolley, place it in a remote part of the city and power the shield from there.

a tactical nuke would do miracles too. as leverage. maybe take a few more tactical nukes, for effect. or a batch of nerve gas near the ventilation system with a pack of C-4 attached to it.

additionally, a few good bombs near the flotation tanks (tanks with air that keep the city afloat) should do miracles.

be sure to pack a Beam Jammer so nobody can beam in and out. just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by WraithRichard View Post
    I need a science geek. How do naval sonar communications work? How would one contact them through it (do you have to be on a radio frequency, a certain volume, make sure you don't resemble a whale)?
    A late reply, but here goes.

US subs can do voice communications using their sonar systems. Sonar are basically paired underwater microphones and speakers. The emitters send out pulses (the ping sounds) and those bounce back to be picked up by the mikes or hydrophones.

The sonar emitters can also produce modulated signals such as the human voice. And the hydrophones pick that up.

Though fiction Tom Clancy's novel The Hunt for Red October has a scene where a US sonarman makes an adjustment to a Soviet sub sonar and communicated to a US sub. Tom Clancy is well known for the accuracy of his tech both current and reasonable extrapolations of future developments. Such a sonar communication is short range only.

US subs communicate by using an ELF system in combination with a satellite systems. ELF uses low frequency radio as they are best at penetrating into the deep ocean. The drawbacks are that the antennas are very, very long and communication is very very slow. Subs trail a wire several thousand feet long to receive ELF messages. ELF communication is also quite slow, something like one letter a second or slower. The US communicate with its subs by sending a one word ELF flash message. This message is usually a short code word to alert the sub to come to periscope depth, stick a cell-phone sized satellite antenna to receive a highly compressed data burst which would contain the actual message.
    Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty!
    loves and loves right back.

No w/o a and no w/o a
    It's an immutable law of the multiverse.

I'd forgotten all about that voice bit in The Hunt For Red October! Thank you for reminding me! Mind you, it's probably been more than ten years since I last read the book.

*goes off to pull it from the shelves and add it to her nightstand to be re-read*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    I'd forgotten all about that voice bit in The Hunt For Red October! Thank you for reminding me! Mind you, it's probably been more than ten years since I last read the book.

*goes off to pull it from the shelves and add it to her nightstand to be re-read*
    Just watch the movie. Has more "Scottish-Russian-ness" in it
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

No, I definitely want to re-read the book. Besides, it lasts longer that way. And it gives these lovely descriptions of how things work, and why.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

Quote Originally Posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
    Spoiler:
    Ok, so they are trapped inside with no way to communicate, and since they are cloaked no one can see them and come check it out. Is that correct? And yeah, ripping the ZPM out is cheap and easy. Unless the bad guys have a twisted sense of humour and send them on a scavenger hunt for it - but that's just what I'd do because I'm not completely evil.
    Spoiler:
    Completely correct. Save for the guys who messed with things, no one's getting in and no one's getting out unless someone figures something out.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

the cloak will fail without a ZPM

Currently Humming the Mission Impossible Theme

Okay.... I may need some advice here shortly. Depending on how my writing goes. And then I'll need prolly a beta reader... o.0

But for now I have this one...

I don't remember a real in-depth explanation on how Ba'al cloned himself? Any ideas on how to do something of that nature and make it believable?
    This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

perhaps using the same technology that Sam used in the last episode of SG-1 to make teal'cs stuff but a person instead of food. Then using Anubis's tech to download and upload conciseness and memories you could create an exact duplicate of someone... in theory

Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Quote Originally Posted by AllyCat View Post
    Okay.... I may need some advice here shortly. Depending on how my writing goes. And then I'll need prolly a beta reader... o.0

I don't remember a real in-depth explanation on how Ba'al cloned himself? Any ideas on how to do something of that nature and make it believable?
    I'd need the canon explanation first (because when they cloned Sekhmet, they threw their biology text book out the window and watched Voyager instead).

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

I'd need the canon explanation first (because when they cloned Sekhmet, they threw their biology text book out the window and watched Voyager instead).
    Baal somehow made dozens of mature clones of himself that had all of his memories and his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
    Baal somehow made dozens of mature clones of himself that had all of his memories and his personality.
    Human clones? Symbote clones? Some sort of hybrid mix?

Quote Originally Posted by AllyCat View Post

I watched Ex Deux Machina today and they gave no explanation how. They just said he did.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Human clones? Symbote clones? Some sort of hybrid mix?
    ummm. Both. It was mature human clones with Mature Baal symbiote clones in thier heads.

ummm. Both. It was mature human clones with Mature Baal symbiote clones in thier heads.
    Cloning's easy. Getting a clone up to a mature age without waiting is hard. Is there some technowhatsit that ages things lying around?

Basic transporter theory for dummies

(thing) gets turned into data/energy and uploaded to a computer through a buffer. Buffer then selects new target based off of second set of coords from input data. (thing) then gets reconverted back into its base matter form. If (thing) gets "copied" while in the buffer, then you can produce as many as you want at separate target locations.

Sam did something similar to teal'cs medication in the final episode of SG1. but instead of using the copy method she created the base buffer data from scratch. That's also how they made their meals. By storing the Buffer data in the computer database she could access it and remake it over and over again.

Basic transporter theory for dummies

(thing) gets turned into data/energy and uploaded to a computer through a buffer. Buffer then selects new target based off of second set of coords from input data. (thing) then gets reconverted back into its base matter form. If (thing) gets "copied" while in the buffer, then you can produce as many as you want at separate target locations.

Sam did something similar to teal'cs medication in the final episode of SG1. but instead of using the copy method she created the base buffer data from scratch. That's also how they made their meals. By storing the Buffer data in the computer database she could access it and remake it over and over again.
    Sounds like how they made clothes and food on Star Trek. Sounds like a plan to me: just xerox living beings.

First Lieutenant Feast of the Muse's Avatar

Cloning's easy. Getting a clone up to a mature age without waiting is hard. Is there some technowhatsit that ages things lying around?
    Remember the nanotechnology used to accelerate the population's aging in Brief Candle? That was a goa'uld project.

First Lieutenant Feast of the Muse's Avatar

Ok, I have a Sanctuary question. How do they get hold of John Druitt? Once he was coming around and trying to play dad, did they have a way to summon him? A bat signal, if you will?