Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    First Lieutenant Feast of the Muse's Avatar

Default Re: Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    I know that the ribbon device used as both a weapon and a personal shield generator by the Goa'uld is called a "kara kesh" and that the Tok'ra also use them (Jacob/Selmak had one and used it in Season 3's "Seth"), so I've decided that "kesh" = "device" and that "kara" = "many", indicating that the kara kesh is a multipurpose device. So a ta'el kesh, then, is a healing device.

Yay, exolinguistics for the win.
    Well, an al'kesh is basically a goa'uld troop carrier, so I'm thinking "kesh" may actually mean something more akin to "vessel" or "container". I'd love to see a list of the goa'uld and english words so I can figure out more. I can practice for my DLAB with that kind of game.

Chapter Nine, and it's no big deal. You asked where the action was. That's where some of it is.

I think maybe later today or tonight, I'll go back and edit that in.
    Just to let you know, I'd rather not know what's going to happen. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my question about action - it was meant to be rhetorical.

Quote Originally Posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
    Well, an al'kesh is basically a goa'uld troop carrier, so I'm thinking "kesh" may actually mean something more akin to "vessel" or "container". I'd love to see a list of the goa'uld and english words so I can figure out more. I can practice for my DLAB with that kind of game.
    There are several: Here's one: http://www.angelfire.com/space2/4eva...ck/goauld.html
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Quote Originally Posted by mathpiglet View Post
    ZOMG!!! *Bounces happily* I should have know at least one had been compiled. *runs off like a kid in a candy store*

ETA: I've found some errors in that one already, so please use that particular list with caution. *runs back out in search of more*

Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
    Well, the Goa'uld-English dictionaries that I've seen all seem to indicate that many words or syllables in Goa'uld have multiple meanings depending on context and combination. We have homonyms in English; why might Goa'uld not have them as well? So "kesh" can mean both "device" and "vessel". In fact, a vessel is a device for carrying people or things...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Just to let you know, I'd rather not know what's going to happen. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my question about action - it was meant to be rhetorical.
    Oh, no, I figured it was rhetorical; I was just being funny. And to tell the truth, I'd forgotten that you hadn't read that far yet. Mea culpa. On the other hand, at least now you know there will be action, and I'll spoilertag anything else.

Yes, there are quite a few.

Here's the one on the Stargate Solutions Wiki: Goa'uld-English Dictionary

Here's the one on Rdanderson.com: Goa'uld Dictionary

Oh, and this one's good too, on the Tok'ra Resistance website: Goa'uld Language Dictionary

Or this one's interesting, from an RPG: Five Pillars
    Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; April 22nd, 2011 at 03:26 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Ok, several of those links list a harsesis as "the child of two goa'uld" but that is not correct. A harsesis is the child of two goa'uld hosts. It's the attention to detail that tells me how careful these have been recorded - this makes me have my doubts.

I also wonder if some of the Unas or Ancient languages have accidentally been added in... that's just my normal paranoia, though.

So "kesh" can mean both "device" and "vessel". In fact, a vessel is a device for carrying people or things...
    Touché!

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

I was looking at those too. Problem with the elements of kel no reem, is that "kel" can refer to so many conflicting things... "no" and "reem" may be somewhat useful, and yes, I was thinking "sanctuary" as well.... something like "healing sanctuary" might work, but then I need to decide whether "kal" or "mah" is the operative portion to use...

I'm leaning toward inventing a term "ta'el" to mean specifically "heal" or "healing" and then using "mah" as the putative term for "sanctuary"... we'll assume then that "kal mah" in the way Apophis used it meant "safe sanctuary" or "haven". That leaves "mah" free to serve as "sanctuary" in other compound words.

This gives me two terms I need:

ta'el mah - "healing sanctuary"; sarcophagus

ta'el kesh - "healing device" -
    Spoiler:
    remember I didn't have Cadogan actually give Frank the word for the device he used to heal Ris' and Frank's injuries after the battle with the Jaffa?
    Now I have a word for it. I know that the ribbon device used as both a weapon and a personal shield generator by the Goa'uld is called a "kara kesh" and that the Tok'ra also use them (Jacob/Selmak had one and used it in Season 3's "Seth"), so I've decided that "kesh" = "device" and that "kara" = "many", indicating that the kara kesh is a multipurpose device. So a ta'el kesh, then, is a healing device.

Yay, exolinguistics for the win.
    I'm not sure if i see them using 'healing' as the name simply because the need for healing = sick = weak

might be nitpicky

i think teal'c called it 'goauld chamber' in hathor
    TEAL'C: I have seen the Goa'uld chamber do many miracles.
    Teal'c calls it a sarcophagus in The Tomb

so maybe a version of the egyptian word for a sarcophagus

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    I'm not sure if i see them using 'healing' as the name simply because the need for healing = sick = weak

might be nitpicky
    See, now my first thought when I see "heal" isn't "sick", it's "injured". The sarcophagus heals injured hosts, so I could see that being an acceptable term for it.

i think teal'c called it 'goauld chamber' in hathor
    I need a name in their actual language.

Teal'c calls it a sarcophagus in The Tomb

so maybe a version of the egyptian word for a sarcophagus
    He calls it that then because he's using the Tau'ri word for it though, I think, no? And I have never, ever been able to find an Egyptian word for sarcophagus. You'd think that would be easy to find online, but no. Of course, the word "sarcophagus" is from Greek, and means "flesh-eating", so any word based on that meaning won't work.

The only thing I'm likely to do with the word is have some of my Tok'ra characters make references to sarcophagi, but the reason for having them use the Goa'uld/Tok'ra word for it rather than simply letting them say "sarcophagus" is because I'm going to introduce the term in such a way that my protagonist has to take a moment to figure out exactly what they're referring to, since he's never actually encountered a Goa'uld sarcophagus, and will only have heard of one tangentially, at most, prior to this conversation. Hmmm... I suppose I could have the Tok'ra use a different word for it, something that refers to their belief that it destroys souls...

ETA: Hmmmm... a search string I hadn't tried yet just gave me this, which contains this passage:
    The Egyptian interpretation of the word was the 'possessor of life'
    so perhaps something based on that would work, since it seems fairly consistent with what I would expect the Goa'uld view to be.

So now I guess I just need to either find or invent the proper words... but now I can at least have my Tok'ra explain the meaning of the Goa'uld word for it, and also their own contrasting word if I have them use one.

ETA, again: Got it! "Neb ankh" appears to be the Egyptian for "possessor of life". (Now, why couldn't I find any of that on the last six searches???) So that's the Goa'uld term taken care of then, I guess. I need to figure out whether the Tok'ra might call it something else, related to their avoidance and probable negative view of it.
    Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; April 23rd, 2011 at 01:03 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

The only thing I'm likely to do with the word is have some of my Tok'ra characters make references to sarcophagi, but the reason for having them use the Goa'uld/Tok'ra word for it rather than simply letting them say "sarcophagus" is because I'm going to introduce the term in such a way that my protagonist has to take a moment to figure out exactly what they're referring to, since he's never actually encountered a Goa'uld sarcophagus, and will only have heard of one tangentially, at most, prior to this conversation. Hmmm... I suppose I could have the Tok'ra use a different word for it, something that refers to their belief that it destroys souls...
    I know I haven't been really in this thread (stupid RL!), but I love playing with language and will have to look at the sites later. Is there some word/word combo that means "eater of souls" or "devourer of souls" or something along those lines, perhaps?
    <a href=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm204/whytewytch/Stargate%20Atlantis/IntheBloodsiggieBay.jpg target=_blank>http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...dsiggieBay.jpg</a>
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewytch View Post
    I know I haven't been really in this thread (stupid RL!), but I love playing with language and will have to look at the sites later. Is there some word/word combo that means "eater of souls" or "devourer of souls" or something along those lines, perhaps?
    That's what I'm going to try to find out.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

That's what I'm going to try to find out.
    Good luck!
    Spoiler:
    I am off to get ready for pre-Easter dinner at my in-laws' house. Happy Easter!
    <a href=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm204/whytewytch/Stargate%20Atlantis/IntheBloodsiggieBay.jpg target=_blank>http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...dsiggieBay.jpg</a>
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question, but I'll give it a try.

In the Atlantis episode Before I Sleep Janus simply calls a ZPM a power device. Does anyone know if there is an accepted Ancient term for this device? Or should I invent one?
    Thanks for a laugh! Yeah, power source is kind of bland, but Crystal Tower of Power is too over the top! For now I'm going with 'potentiam' which is the Latin word for power.
    This question got kind of lost. Any ideas?

the ancients call it a potentia (Brotherhood)

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question, but I'll give it a try.

In the Atlantis episode Before I Sleep Janus simply calls a ZPM a power device. Does anyone know if there is an accepted Ancient term for this device? Or should I invent one?
    Thanks for a laugh! Yeah, power source is kind of bland, but Crystal Tower of Power is too over the top! For now I'm going with 'potentiam' which is the Latin word for power.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    the ancients call it a potentia (Brotherhood)
    Thanks! My word was really close, but I'll use potentia!!!

First Lieutenant

Thank u SO MUCH for startin this thread. Goodness knows I could use this feedback from this thread's users. I'm much stronger at humanities/social sciences than engineering/natural sciences but love incorporating science and tech in my fanfics so will try n use ur thread to verify facts to make it as realistic as possible.
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

I'm glad you like it. May I make one suggestion? It's a lot easier to read and respond to someone's posts if they actually type words out completely instead of relying on textspeak like "n" and "ur". Trust me, you really are likely to get better responses around here if you do.

That said, welcome!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

I'm glad you like it. May I make one suggestion? It's a lot easier to read and respond to someone's posts if they actually type words out completely instead of relying on textspeak like "n" and "ur". Trust me, you really are likely to get better responses around here if you do.

That said, welcome!
    I second this - if I have trouble understanding what you're writing I'm very likely to skip over the post entirely. (I don't understand chatspeak, nor will I spend time trying.) But I'm glad you've found the thread.

Hey, y'all. Anyone else besides myself and Feast watch Sanctuary? I have plot bunnies biting my ankles, but Henry is my go-to character, with Nikola right behind him. Unfortunately, these two are very technical-minded and I'm happy I can throw around words like "HTML" and "DDos". The story is in slooowww progress, as I have two or three unfinished fics in other fandoms (two SGA, one RH BBC), but when I get going, I'd like to rely on the techies for help.

since i don't care about arrogance, i'd say i'm good at tech and science.

so blast it away. i love a good thinking exercise

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    since i don't care about arrogance, i'd say i'm good at tech and science.

so blast it away. i love a good thinking exercise
    Okay, so whats the meaning of the life, universe and everything else?
    [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]