This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 different gates

there is something i cant work out why are there 3 different designs of gates and more to the point if the gate in SG1 is younger than in SGA and SGU but yet looks older than the other 2?
    sigpic

The SGU gate is the oldest design, THEN the SG1 gate, then the SGA gate.

Frankly, you may as well ask yourself why we have different designs of aircraft.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

so your saying they had an advanced gate, went to a basic gate then went back to an advanced gate
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        The SGU gate is the oldest design, THEN the SG1 gate, then the SGA gate.
        Followed by the Nox design gate.
        Spoiler:

Originally posted by taff View Post
        so your saying they had an advanced gate, went to a basic gate then went back to an advanced gate
        No, the race who invented the Stargates and Destiny upgraded the Stargates in the galaxies they existed in over time.

SGA gates are about 3 million years old (potentially older), The Ancients would have upgraded them when they left the Milky Way and went to Pegasus after the plague.
        SG1 gates are about 50 million years old.
        SGU gates are even older, they first gates they used but no solid information on how to calculate it's age.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
          The SGU gates are not the advanced models, they are limited in range and very fragile.

Comment

In computer terms think of it like this;

SGU: Alpha Release
            SG1: Beta Release
            SGA: Final Release

The SGU gate is the most basic (which explains the limited range), SG1 gate is an improvement and the SGA gate is an improvement on the SG1 gate.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              Spoiler:
              That's the Tollan gate, they made it, they just got some help from the Nox

Comment

I don't really get how the Pegasus gates are an improvement though. Surely if anything they're less functional because they can't be dialled manually...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  I don't really get how the Pegasus gates are an improvement though. Surely if anything they're less functional because they can't be dialled manually...
                  improvement doesn't necessarily mean more functionality. Manual dialling could have been the ancients debugging method .

Or think in terms of dvds and videos. you'd agree that dvds are better than videos? but you can manually rewind videos by turning the spools yourself, cant do that with dvds
                  People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                    That's the Tollan gate, they made it, they just got some help from the Nox
                    It's the Tollan gate, but given the Nox status as an Alliance member, I'd be willing to bet they created it. As advanced as the Tollan were, I doubt creating a Stargate was one of their specialities. If they could build one, they wouldn't have needed the Nox help to begin with.

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    Well digital watches do have improvements and extra features over analogue watches. There would be two buttons on either side of the gate for different features and settings, with an illuminate button in case it's hard to see.

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                    improvement doesn't necessarily mean more functionality. Manual dialling could have been the ancients debugging method .

Or think in terms of dvds and videos. you'd agree that dvds are better than videos? but you can manually rewind videos by turning the spools yourself, cant do that with dvds
                    Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

It's the Tollan gate, but given the Nox status as an Alliance member, I'd be willing to bet they created it. As advanced as the Tollan were, I doubt creating a Stargate was one of their specialities. If they could build one, they wouldn't have needed the Nox help to begin with.

Well digital watches do have improvements and extra features over analogue watches. There would be two buttons on either side of the gate for different features and settings, with an illuminate button in case it's hard to see.

Spoiler:
                      Spoiler:
                      that's still form of device like a remote dialler
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Simply, as other people have stated above, the gates changed over time. As has everyhting on Earth..........
                        sigpic
                        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

TPTB wanted something to instantly distinguish the shows.
                          sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                            And then Orlin's ToasterGate

Spoiler:
                            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                              And then Orlin's ToasterGate

Spoiler:
                              Forgot about that. Always looks like an over-glorified ring transporter to me. It's so basic, I'd be surprised if it were anything more than a pre-Alpha model.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X